• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s November 2020, and Trump was Re-elected.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Richard Engel made that point yesterday in that how can our allies trust us now or even right after Trump is outta here?

The damage done by this president to this country is truly sad, but what is even sadder yet is that we have a large minority here in this country that are still madly in love with him and defending this utterly depraved materialist and hedonist.

Well, yes, our relationship with our allies would also be affected, although I was thinking more in terms of the general public and how divided it is at present. The level of polarization will not go away that easily.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, I thought you would be familiar with Larry Summers’ comments. Something about tooth fairies. Ring a bell?
Nope, have not heard them. But the fact that you could not quote him indicates that you may have gotten his claims wrong and now you know it.

And oh my! Thank you! I just got back from a quick Google search. I never heard what he claimed but I nailed it. I specifically asked you if he said that they were 'unsustainable'. And guess what? That is what he claimed:

Larry Summers: Trump’s economic growth is 'unsustainable'

Watchmen

Premium Member
Nope, have not heard them. But the fact that you could not quote him indicates that you may have gotten his claims wrong and now you know it.

And oh my! Thank you! I just got back from a quick Google search. I never heard what he claimed but I nailed it. I specifically asked you if he said that they were 'unsustainable'. And guess what? That is what he claimed:

Larry Summers: Trump’s economic growth is 'unsustainable'
He also disputed it would even get to 3%.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
He also disputed it would even get to 3%.
Claims without quotes and links are of no value in a debate. When our deficit should be dropping to the levels Obama had after recovery started, Trump has an ever increasing one. In other words our present good economy is largely artificial and we will be paying for it in the future. Do you need me to support my claims on the deficit?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Well, yes, our relationship with our allies would also be affected, although I was thinking more in terms of the general public and how divided it is at present. The level of polarization will not go away that easily.
I totally agree.

BTW, what also exacerbates this is the likes of Fox, and even some Pubs have mentioned this in the past.

If we agree on the facts, there's at least a chance we can agree on solutions. However, if we can't even agree on the facts, solutions become much more difficult to achieve. Fox has a strong "conservative" bent, which is why Murdock created it to begin with, much like he did in the UK and Australia.

As Politifact has noted, Fox is the least accurate of all the American t.v. network news sources-- just ask Shep Smith. One can often tell who gets their "news" from Fox because of their slant on things and general lack of information at times. If one watches Fox occasionally, and then check out other sources on the same topics, one can see why.

BTW, the next least reliable American t.v. news source according to Politifact is MSNBC, and the most reliable are CNN and PBS' NewsHour, with the latter being the least slanted.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I totally agree.

BTW, what also exacerbates this is the likes of Fox, and even some Pubs have mentioned this in the past.

If we agree on the facts, there's at least a chance we can agree on solutions. However, if we can't even agree on the facts, solutions become much more difficult to achieve. Fox has a strong "conservative" bent, which is why Murdock created it to begin with, much like he did in the UK and Australia.

As Politifact has noted, Fox is the least accurate of all the American t.v. network news sources-- just ask Shep Smith. One can often tell who gets their "news" from Fox because of their slant on things and general lack of information at times. If one watches Fox occasionally, and then check out other sources on the same topics, one can see why.

BTW, the next least reliable American t.v. news source according to Politifact is MSNBC, and the most reliable are CNN and PBS' NewsHour, with the latter being the least slanted.

I agree, although I'm not sure if there's really that much disagreement on the actual facts, at least as far as the basic facts. But there seems to be some nuances and variations of perceptions. It's like we're all looking at the same thing, but some people see it as something different.

But I also think we've found ourselves at cross purposes to a large extent. Some factions just have different goals and aspirations. The whole slogan of "Make America Great Again" hearkens to an earlier America, a period which is often idealized in many people's minds. Whatever the current news might be, whether it's "real news" or "fake news," it doesn't really seem to shake that image in people's minds.

I remember they used to call it "Middle Class Morality," but then there was Nixon's "Silent Majority" and Reagan's "Moral Majority." What we're dealing with here is a quasi-religious ideal which has been going on for generations and runs pretty deep within the fabric of the country. I don't think they really constitute a "majority," and it's also true that at least an equal or greater number of Americans has strongly opposed them over the same period of time.

It's a political rift which has gone on for a long time, although there have been long periods where it's mostly been restrained. For whatever reason (and I'm not sure how it happened), Trump's rise appears to be symbolic of a lack of restraint. He himself is the embodiment of a lack of restraint, yet he's still symbolic of the deep, dark underbelly of what America was in earlier times, back when we were "great."

In other words, there are a lot of people who seem to believe that Trump will lead America into some kind of "Leave it to Beaver" world...or maybe "Mayberry RFD." That's the America they want, and they don't really want to hear from people who say they can't have it. Trump says otherwise, and that's why they believe Trump.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree, although I'm not sure if there's really that much disagreement on the actual facts, at least as far as the basic facts. But there seems to be some nuances and variations of perceptions. It's like we're all looking at the same thing, but some people see it as something different.

But I also think we've found ourselves at cross purposes to a large extent. Some factions just have different goals and aspirations. The whole slogan of "Make America Great Again" hearkens to an earlier America, a period which is often idealized in many people's minds. Whatever the current news might be, whether it's "real news" or "fake news," it doesn't really seem to shake that image in people's minds.

I remember they used to call it "Middle Class Morality," but then there was Nixon's "Silent Majority" and Reagan's "Moral Majority." What we're dealing with here is a quasi-religious ideal which has been going on for generations and runs pretty deep within the fabric of the country. I don't think they really constitute a "majority," and it's also true that at least an equal or greater number of Americans has strongly opposed them over the same period of time.

It's a political rift which has gone on for a long time, although there have been long periods where it's mostly been restrained. For whatever reason (and I'm not sure how it happened), Trump's rise appears to be symbolic of a lack of restraint. He himself is the embodiment of a lack of restraint, yet he's still symbolic of the deep, dark underbelly of what America was in earlier times, back when we were "great."

In other words, there are a lot of people who seem to believe that Trump will lead America into some kind of "Leave it to Beaver" world...or maybe "Mayberry RFD." That's the America they want, and they don't really want to hear from people who say they can't have it. Trump says otherwise, and that's why they believe Trump.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Now answer this question: How or why did Trump win?
Faux Newz and the usual RW propaganda outlets were able to manipulate the minds of their impressionables once again. People that are intentionally shielded from information, keeping them from being high-information voters.

Hillary isn't running and previous elections are showing a huge blue swing. 2020 is not going to be delightful for the radical (and rabid) republican base.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Trump won. He was re-elected.
Trump has never been elected. The U.S. doesn't elect presidents.

But, if Trump gets appointed again maybe I'll start praying for the Second Coming of Christ.
The way Christians talk about doing.
That'll fix his greedy smutty egotistical butt.
Tom

Riders

With more charges being brought against him in the impeachment trial, I'm starting to think Americans will be too tired of this by the time we vote. If he makes it we will survive, but kind of doubting it at this point. I could be wrong but I think he will not make it to second term.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Claims without quotes and links are of no value in a debate. When our deficit should be dropping to the levels Obama had after recovery started, Trump has an ever increasing one. In other words our present good economy is largely artificial and we will be paying for it in the future. Do you need me to support my claims on the deficit?
I’m not debating. Just telling you what I’ve heard and read. Sorry the economy is doing so well. I know that will make it more difficult for Dems in 2020.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Trump has never been elected. The U.S. doesn't elect presidents.

But, if Trump gets appointed again maybe I'll start praying for the Second Coming of Christ.
The way Christians talk about doing.
That'll fix his greedy smutty egotistical butt.
Tom
Trump is in the White House. Pretty sure that means he was elected.

Watchmen

Premium Member
With more charges being brought against him in the impeachment trial, I'm starting to think Americans will be too tired of this by the time we vote. If he makes it we will survive, but kind of doubting it at this point. I could be wrong but I think he will not make it to second term.
Right or wrong, I don’t think most people care about the impeachment process. Everyone has already made up their minds.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I’m not debating. Just telling you what I’ve heard and read. Sorry the economy is doing so well. I know that will make it more difficult for Dems in 2020.
It appears to be doing well. But you cannot ignore the deficit. I used to be a Republican because they were the more financially responsible party. That is not the case any more. It looks as if Trump is selling our economic security for a short term sugar rush.

Watchmen

Premium Member
It appears to be doing well. But you cannot ignore the deficit. I used to be a Republican because they were the more financially responsible party. That is not the case any more. It looks as if Trump is selling our economic security for a short term sugar rush.
I agree that the deficit is concerning.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right or wrong, I don’t think most people care about the impeachment process. Everyone has already made up their minds.
No, not everyone. There are a lot of independents out there. You may not realize this but they are the ones that decide elections. Neither party has enough voters to win outright. If you want to see if Trump is in trouble or not look at polls on how the independents feel about the investigation.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Now answer this question: How or why did Trump win?

Because the AI housed in the National War College has analysed Google search results in relation to public political statements for well over a decade, and guides the political process.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
False, as we've seen the poll numbers shift more against Trump in the last few months with now roughly half of the electorate polled say they want him impeached and removed.

Watchmen

Premium Member
No, not everyone. There are a lot of independents out there. You may not realize this but they are the ones that decide elections. Neither party has enough voters to win outright. If you want to see if Trump is in trouble or not look at polls on how the independents feel about the investigation.
A lot of independents don’t care. I’m one of them.