• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam is the most misunderstood religion in contemporary society

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The Bible is not presented as written by God, nor is it subject to quite as fanatical worship as the Qur'an.

Subtle distinction, but still a powerful and very consequential one.

Wrong. The Bible like the Qur’an are still presented as forms of the “word of God.” Also, you forget the fact that both have been subjected to fanatical forms of worship (Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, Slavery etc). The fact that @PopeADope liked such illogical fallacy is not surprising.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Muhammad was an extremist, a terrorist, and a military dictator.

Muslims cut off heads, because Mohammed cut off heads.

Can you provide evidence? For a person who worships others besides God I’d hardly classify you as a monotheist. Also since you want to generalize I can say Christians are racist because Christians who created Jim Crow were also racist. This right there is stupid logic at its best.

Milton Platt

That is only possible if you have an exact control situation — If you have two exact cultural groups, wherein one group gets a religious teaching and another none.

We are animals and some are more savage than others. I believe that religious teachings help to constrain our animal savage nature.

Much harm has been done in the name of religion, so I don’t see how it constrains harm at all. You don’t need a control group to determine if people are doing harm in the name of their religion. You can look at how they are applying the texts from their religion. When someone kills someone because they drew a cartoon of their prophet, for instance......it is obvious the religion incited the violence.
In Christianity, Bible texts were used to support slavery. Why would you need a control to see that?

Milton Platt

I'm not denying we should ignore anything but we must concede that if we are to look at the broader scope at a thing, we need to accord the same for all popular religions in history and this is not so done by the average person. The academic perspective requires the above suggestion, but the average person does not afford Islam that, rather, they afford Islam the unfair association of what is seen on fox news or any biased media outlet.

The news outlets are in the business of selling advertising. Sensationalist headlines increase readership, hence increase ad revenue. That being said, if there is more negative, shocking things being performed by Islam, then they will show those things. If Islam does not do those things that make such good headlines, then they will not feature in the news in that manner.

If Christians began hacking people to death on the street or planting car bombs in market places, then that would be on the news as well.

One does not have to watch Fox to be aware of the violence perpetrated in the name of Islam.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The news outlets are in the business of selling advertising. Sensationalist headlines increase readership, hence increase ad revenue. That being said, if there is more negative, shocking things being performed by Islam, then they will show those things. If Islam does not do those things that make such good headlines, then they will not feature in the news in that manner.

If Christians began hacking people to death on the street or planting car bombs in market places, then that would be on the news as well.

One does not have to watch Fox to be aware of the violence perpetrated in the name of Islam.

Funny I like thousands of others have no negative views of Islam I wonder why that is?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Can you provide evidence? For a person who worships others besides God I’d hardly classify you as a monotheist. Also since you want to generalize I can say Christians are racist because Christians who created Jim Crow were also racist. This right there is stupid logic at its best.
the tribe was charged with treason and besieged by the Muslims commanded by Muhammad.[9][10] The Banu Qurayza eventually surrendered and their men were beheaded, except for a handful who converted to Islam.[9][10][11][12][13][12]The spoils of battle, including the enslaved women and children of the tribe, were divided up among the Islamic warriors
Banu Qurayza - Wikipedia

Muhammad cut off heads.

Jesus on the other hand told people to love their enemies, and he forgave those who crucified him, saying "father forgive them for they know not what they do."

The founder of Christianity, did not leave a violent example.

The founder of Islam left an extremist example!

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
the tribe was charged with treason and besieged by the Muslims commanded by Muhammad.[9][10] The Banu Qurayza eventually surrendered and their men were beheaded, except for a handful who converted to Islam.[9][10][11][12][13][12]The spoils of battle, including the enslaved women and children of the tribe, were divided up among the Islamic warriors
Banu Qurayza - Wikipedia

Muhammad cut off heads.

Jesus on the other hand told people to love their enemies, and he forgave those who crucified him, saying "father forgive them for they know not what they do."

The founder of Christianity, did not leave a violent example.

The founder of Islam left an extremist example!

Post th entire damn thing don’t post one thing... The damn Banu Qurayza violates the pact between Muhammad and them by allying themselves with the Quraysh.

“The next morning, the Banu Qurayza surrendered and the Muslims seized their stronghold and their stores.[40][52] The men - Ibn Ishaq numbers between 400 and 900[26][48] - were bound and placed under the custody of one Muhammad ibn Maslamah, who had killed Ka'b ibn al-Ashraf, while the women and children - numbering about 1,000[26] - were placed under Abdullah ibn Sallam, a former rabbi who had converted to Islam.” [53][54]

The founder of Christianity was Paul not Jesus.....But let us forget the fact you worship deities besides God.

Milton Platt

Funny I like thousands of others have no negative views of Islam I wonder why that is?

I have no idea why you and thousands of others have no negative views of Islam, when literally tens of millions of others do. Perhaps lack of critical thinking skill, perhaps wishful thinking? I will leave you to figure that out.

Why do you not see killing others in the name of your religion (any religion) is immoral? You are right, I cannot begin to fathom that sort of thinking.

But as you implied above, you don’t.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I have no idea why you and thousands of others have no negative views of Islam, when literally tens of millions of others do. Perhaps lack of critical thinking skill, perhaps wishful thinking? I will leave you to figure that out.

Why do you not see killing others in the name of your religion (any religion) is immoral? You are right, I cannot begin to fathom that sort of thinking.

But as you implied above, you don’t.

The name of my religion? Which tens of millions do you speak of?

Milton Platt

The name of my religion? Which tens of millions do you speak of?

The word “your” religion was not directed at a specific individual. It was a stand in for using the word “one’s” religion. Not ultimately correct usage, but common.

Which thousands do you speak of?
In any event, the popularity of an idea does not guarrantee the truthfulness of it.

The question is whether or not violence is being or has been committed in the name of a given religionby adherents of that religion. The answer is clearly yes.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure misunderstood. But you know out of all the religions of the world, the only one I can think of that doesn't have some attachment of a list of massive crimes committed in its name is probably Jainism. (Now someone will point out some crime to me I'm sure.)
What a religion says and what it inspires don't always match.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The word “your” religion was not directed at a specific individual. It was a stand in for using the word “one’s” religion. Not ultimately correct usage, but common.

Which thousands do you speak of?
In any event, the popularity of an idea does not guarrantee the truthfulness of it.

The question is whether or not violence is being or has been committed in the name of a given religionby adherents of that religion. The answer is clearly yes.

Again you said tens of millions. Where did you get that number?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Wrong. The Bible like the Qur’an are still presented as forms of the “word of God.” Also, you forget the fact that both have been subjected to fanatical forms of worship (Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, Slavery etc). The fact that @PopeADope liked such illogical fallacy is not surprising.
Excuse me, but I thought that you had a better working knowledge of both scriptures.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Islam is the most misunderstood religion in contemporary society
Any faith that promotes good, justice, and equality, and promotes self-growth and excellence and the fair treatment of others which is the baseline of Islam, is the correct way of looking at Islam.
I agree with one, please.
Regards

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It is with great regret that Islam has this stigma based on the terrorism perpetuated by fanatics. Like any faith men have perverted divine meanings to their own gains. True Islam is about peace. To me true Islam is about having a barb cue with your fellow man in peace, listening to music and just having a good time. This is how I studied Islam I am sorry many of you do not see it that way

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It is with great regret that Islam has this stigma based on the terrorism perpetuated by fanatics. Like any faith men have perverted divine meanings to their own gains. True Islam is about peace. To me true Islam is about having a barb cue with your fellow man in peace, listening to music and just having a good time. This is how I studied Islam I am sorry many of you do not see it that way
I agree with one. Music is not, however, a part of Muslim worship.
Regards

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It is OK.
Regards

My point is fanatics will take any doctrine and use it to their advantage. The same can be said of those who are in opposition to said religion. To many Muhammad was a warlord. I doubt it. He did what many in that time had to do. Remember Jesus was in Roman occupation so Jesus never had a chance to build any army if he had to.

Muslims were persecuted by the polytheists and I think we forget that. The Arabs went against the grain and paid for it with their lives. I ask do we hold Jesus in contempt for the sins of his followers who perverted his message? No. We look at Jesus as who he was.

Muhammad was a man who brought a message.