• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Women : The Head Scarf

fatima_bintu_islam

Boy am I glad to live somewhere that I can dress how I see fit. If men can't control themselves that's their problem; they need to grow up. I personally doubt anyone would seriously be that hoo-ha'd by seeing a woman anyway -- I mean, give me a break.

Many many westerners both females and males tend to hold this twisted thinking regarding Hijab , i.e that we're wearing it to help men lower their gaze and preserve their chastity, lol

To help WHAT?? No!! Thats not what we want at all , in fact Hijab is more about not caring about what men think lol so the idea is basically wrong but let me explain more specifically:

Hijab is about OUR protection, OUR personality , OUR preservation and chastity. You think if I wear Hijab, sick men wont have sexual desires towards women anymore ? Never! Sick men are sick men, but at least they wont have sexual desire about ME.

Our bodies naturally atract men, and when its happens men would do anything to get you: wether by abusing you emotionally ( if they're smart) or physically ( if they're dumb and dangerous). And Im sure you know how words like I love you or you're the women of my life , if said by guys we like, turn us to dumb little girls which you can shape as it fits you lol.

Now to protect our selves, Quran teaches us two basic levels of protection from abuse : 1) Protect our bodies by Hijab 2) Protect our emotions by not leaning in discussion ( dont know if its the correct word but Ill explain )

Part of Quran ( 33: 32):

If you keep your duty (to Allah), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.

Since you're in a western country I dont think you may have the chance to see how muslim females ( if sticking to religion correctly ) deal with men, if you were here in my country I would have shown you :) but Ill give you an example to approach the idea:

Say that you went to a market and the merchant liked you. Of course he will use anything to get you, and of course he thinks that between you and him theres a vast large area filled with flowers and butterflies , i.e easy prey.

Now, first of all he noticed that you're wearing Hijab so he cant see your beautiful body , bingo you just built the first line of bricks of your future wall :)

Then when you're near he welcome you with a large smile and blinking eyes, but you remember the second teaching of Islam; so you dont smile back at him and of course you lower your gaze you dont look in his eyes for too long ( I forgot to mention this teaching). Main point: You keep a dead face when dealing with men/

Congratulations! He's shocked , and youve just added the second line of bricks on your whole new wall. But hes still convinced that he can get you, the challenge keeps growing for him and hes sure you'll surrender at the end :)

Merchant (stupid smile and blinking eyes) : How can I serve you Miss?

Customer ( dead face) : I need X and Y

Merchant : Oh you want that!! What a coincidence ! You know, yesterday a lady came to take the exact same thing and you know what happened ... Blah Blah Blah

Customer ( dead face, not paying attention, ignoring etc)

Now, you may or may not be familiar with this technic but I assure you, as Im filled with more than thousands of similar experiences, that at this specific moment the merchant shut his big mouth , give you want you want silently , and sometimes if hes really shocked he cant even look at you anymore in the front and he lowers his gaze.

You may find it cruel, men may find you impolite but thats whats Hijab is all about: You dont care a minute about what they think as long as they're letting you alone.

Of course this technic is to be used with the majority of men that you dont care about, but of course you'll be wondering that you may like a men too and want to attract him to get his attention. But here you gotta have a strong faith to keep yourself clean because as Muslims we believe we'll be rewarded for our patience on keeping chastity.

Thats on the emotional level, on the physical one:

You may or may not notice it or may even ignore it , but some men can have really erotic ideas about you if they like your body. Some females may like the idea , but for us or me personally it is the most disgusting thing for me ever.

Which law gave him the right to think about ME that way??

Who gave him the permission?? You dont just come and have disgusting thoughts about me .

Moreover, if a men has such thoughts about you ( I said if a men, not all of them) , he may try to show you that he cares about what you think , your personality , your ideas; but trust me all his talks are based on something totally different.

And that is why, as Muslims, we do not give anyone the opportunity to minimize us to a beautiful object ( like they usually do in commercials, Ive never understood the relationship between beautiful girls and washing machines but anyway), we force men to interact with us ,when needed, mentally not physically. We push our personalities , ideas , ideologies and thoughts on the frontground by putting our physical beauty in the background. But of course and as I said earlier, only faith can make you keep steadfast on it because desires can throw you in the darkest places ever.

And personally, I think the idea of Hijab is the most connected idea to the ideology of Feminism, since we are the ones hurting men more than any presumed Feminist :D and thats what Feminism is all about :D

gnostic

The Lost One
ymirgf said:
I agree. Everything I have read on the subject seems to be interpretive. The only thing I noted in the Qur'an is the injunction to dress modestly. Even there, however, one could argue over what sense "modest" is meant in. It could be a figure of speech. It could be literal. It could mean little more like our mother's telling us when we were kids to wear a hat in the hot summertime or to wear our jacket's in the winter. In that sense, modest could simply mean "common sense".

Modest could mean "very little" or "less" or "limited in size" or "limited in amount". Modest is not really accurate word.

Going by that meaning, then modest in relation with clothing could mean "dressing less" (which is the opposite meaning of "over-dressed").

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
My grandmother often wears a headscarf which is no different to a hijab. Im fine with it, its not really anything concerning.

I find it pathetic that women are expected to wear it to prevent a males sexual desire. Thats the worst excuse i've ever heard for oppression.

blackout

Violet.
Oh yes... hair?

eh. just get men's cuts.

Aparantely they don't find each other attractive.
(well, they wouldn't admit it anyway)

or if you really want your hair long,
don't brush it in the morning.
at all.
Tease it, then don't comb it out.
And then wear some really stupid bow or something.
So you look Ugly AND Ridiculous.

That should do it.

If you are SO naturally lovely
that men STILL see that female guize
behind your chimney sweep garb,
do not use mouthwash and deoderant.

That should keep them off you.

So glad to solve all of your men's problems.
You just have to be a little bit creative with them ladies. :yes:

there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that the only reason the hijab has been implemented is because men are animals, so it's the duty of the women to cover up. This opinion has been roundly refuted by every muslim on this thread...I don't think there's anything else left to say on it.

I find it amusing that only people from the west find that a woman covering herself up of her own free will is in some way more offensive to their sense of morality and character than a woman who does not.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that the only reason the hijab has been implemented is because men are animals, so it's the duty of the women to cover up. This opinion has been roundly refuted by every muslim on this thread...I don't think there's anything else left to say on it.

Pardon me, but I hear Muslim women saying that they not only wear coverings because of submission to Allah, but to "protect" themselves from disgusting stares by men. And to ensure that they are not considered an object by men.

I hear from Muslim women that the hijab gives protection time and time again.

So, if the only reason isn't protection from a man's stares or from objectification, then what else is the protection from?

I find it amusing that only people from the west find that a woman covering herself up of her own free will is in some way more offensive to their sense of morality and character than a woman who does not.

No, I applaud a woman who does it from her own free will. As a self-identified feminist, I fully support a woman to dress how she wants out of her own volition. But I also will call out an ideology if 1)it is not based on reality and 2)if said ideology scapegoats women.

Pay attention. I have always supported women's rights to wear head coverings and face veils. Always.

Starsoul

Truth
Boy am I glad to live somewhere that I can dress how I see fit.

Yes, it's true that some people in the West get unwanted pregnancies and STD's. That's because they're stupid and aren't responsible. Sexual freedom (like any freedom) carries responsibilities with it; and like all responsibilities there are consequences for ignoring them. There are a lot of idiots that ignore them, and they only end up hurting themselves. However, there are also a lot of mature people who use birth control, contraceptives, STD prevention (condoms, testing, knowing your partner).

Firstly, You must stop thinking that muslim women do not dress up to please the womanly nature they have for adorning themselves. Muslim women are very much in line with designs and fashions, but yes they add their touch to it to be made wearable and still look pretty and elegant. And hijab, its only for stepping outside, and for the circumstances where women have to be with strange men, like the markets, etc.

So, women in an islamic society dont go through the daily pressures of dressing up to look good everyday so that the 'X' girl in the class does not catch that 'Y' boy in the college, or that her boss does not give promotion to a prettier dressed lady and the fact that she is not available for chat, lunch dates and any other favours that an un-islamic society takes out of women, without giving them their due respect and their proper rights.

In Islam, if a woman is nice looking, and modest and covers herself ,she is among the hit list of mothers(who look for women for their sons usually) and men looking for serious relationships of marriage. In Islam, a woman does not have to go through the heart wrenching process of being with and investing all her emotions into one man, and then waking up the next morning to find out that he's gone for a better catch.

Islam preserves the modesty and pure, loving and nurturing nature of a woman, by treating her like a princess so that she does NOT have to go around get dirty with men in order to find her true soul mate. It is written in the Quran That God has made soul mates and partners for everybody, then why jump earlier into a bad relationship with unwanted kids when fate is written for you?The islmaic society has her elders find her the appropriate proposal, and she is asked for her willingness before things can finalize. Thats is not to say that mature men and women dont propose to each other in Islam, they do, but without using each other first and sincerely for marriage, with all the decency.

And as for the people going through unwanted pregnancies and STD's, why should they be cast out of the societies as stupid? why should the privileged ones act insensitive towards them ? why should young people suffer for their mistakes when they were young and foolish? Islam is for everybody,i.e young, adults, mature and immature. Not all the people are born into this world with all the perfect circumstances, loving parents and conducive society, exceptional looks and abilities.

It is thus for all sorts and strata of the society that Islam ensures and binds all the people in one fold and if it's rules of abstinence from pre-marital sex, and hijab were applied, so many children in this world would be living with their biological parents, so many kids would see what living is like in a normal family, and so many kids would have been able to educate themselves better and be as good a person as the privileged ones are. And so many of them would not become drug addicts and alcoholics, messing other's lives while thinking that they are taking revenge for what nature brought them to and repeating the unwanted pregnancies cycle once again.

And lastly, so many of the youth would not be committing suicide, while thinking that they had nothing better to do in this world except being high and being intoxicated. Islam has made protection for all kinds of people, if people just could understand better.

Pardon me, but I hear Muslim women saying that they not only wear coverings because of submission to Allah, but to "protect" themselves from disgusting stares by men. And to ensure that they are not considered an object by men.

I hear from Muslim women that the hijab gives protection time and time again.

So, if the only reason isn't protection from a man's stares or from objectification, then what else is the protection from?

No, I applaud a woman who does it from her own free will. As a self-identified feminist, I fully support a woman to dress how she wants out of her own volition. But I also will call out an ideology if 1)it is not based on reality and 2)if said ideology scapegoats women.

Pay attention. I have always supported women's rights to wear head coverings and face veils. Always.

read my post on the second page for 4 benefits of the hijab. These can all be seen as "protection" from one thing or another.
The pardah is based on reality. Just look at the stark differences in reality for youth, unwanted pregnancies, obsession over beauty, alcohol consumption and a host of other things in western and eastern society where the pardah is the norm.
The ideology of pardah does not scapegoat women. If anything, it empowers them, giving them religious authority to demand that they be seen as intellectual and political equals with men in society without regard for how they look like.

Supporting the right of a woman to wear a head scarf is meaningless if you believe the woman is stupid or backwards for doing it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
read my post on the second page for 4 benefits of the hijab. These can all be seen as "protection" from one thing or another.
The pardah is based on reality. Just look at the stark differences in reality for youth, unwanted pregnancies, obsession over beauty, alcohol consumption and a host of other things in western and eastern society where the pardah is the norm.
The ideology of pardah does not scapegoat women. If anything, it empowers them, giving them religious authority to demand that they be seen as intellectual and political equals with men in society without regard for how they look like.

Supporting the right of a woman to wear a head scarf is meaningless if you believe the woman is stupid or backwards for doing it.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have never said a woman is stupid for choosing to wear a hijab.

What do you think of women who don't wear hijab? Who are immodest? *that's a rhetorical question so you need not answer it*

I'll ask again - what does "preserving a woman's purity" mean?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, no body said that unveiled women are not capable of doing good yet they don't follow God's commands in this specific area and we pray for them. No inferior look but compassion and love for guidance and obedience of our Creator.

Yes, according to the fact that we think hijab is a requirement, the woman not wearing it in our eyes would be not following god in this specific area, as do everybody else. None of us is doing everything we should do, so a woman wearing wearing hijab is not in any position to judge or pray for a woman that don't, any more than she should judge and pray for herself.

The main reason as been clarified is not concerned with men, however as mentioned before this is just a part of the whole thing. Meaning that usually the way we dress sends a message to people. So, this particular dress usually sends the message that the women who wear it is hoping for. Dressing modestly in general, not particularly covering the hair, as hijab doesn't mean covering the hair.

My point is that this is not a reason to wear hijab, its just something that usually comes with wearing it.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
just stopping by to tell one more time covering face is not command of God

Exactly and from my understanding the head scarf is not to ward of slavering sex maniacs but a symbol of piety.

The notion that fully covering from head to toe will save a Woman from unwanted sexual advance is nonsense,one just have to look at Pakistan and the number of Rapes in the last 10 years to know it did not save those Ladies or Girls.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exactly and from my understanding the head scarf is not to ward of slavering sex maniacs but a symbol of piety.

The notion that fully covering from head to toe will save a Woman from unwanted sexual advance is nonsense,one just have to look at Pakistan and the number of Rapes in the last 10 years to know it did not save those Ladies or Girls.

Full covering, and hijab won't save women from rapists for example, of course. I don't think anybody is suggesting this. It doesn't ensure the cease of any kind of unwanted advances from men neither.

However, it does convey the attitude of the woman in that regard, and that will certainly have its effect. On the other hand, men are instructed not to do that thing that some women are hoping to avoid (not saying thats why they wear it, just saying this one part), so both together would result in the desired outcome in lots of cases.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Full covering, and hijab won't save women from rapists for example, of course. I don't think anybody is suggesting this. It doesn't ensure the cease of any kind of unwanted advances from men neither.

However, it does convey the attitude of the woman in that regard, and that will certainly have its effect. On the other hand, men are instructed not to do that thing that some women are hoping to avoid (not saying thats why they wear it, just saying this one part), so both together would result in the desired outcome in lots of cases.

What i mean is it is more symbolic than practical,it is a clear message of piety and adherence to Allahs laws,maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the full face veil isn't a requirement.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What i mean is it is more symbolic than practical,it is a clear message of piety and adherence to Allahs laws,maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the full face veil isn't a requirement.

No, you're right.

I wasn't saying i disagree with what you said, and i personally don't find full face veil to be a commandment neither. I was just making sure that its clear that we're not trying to say that women should wear modestly to ward off men or something like that. We were only describing one of the things that usually happens when a woman dresses modestly. That it does convey at least the attitude of the woman in this regard.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
No, you're right.

I wasn't saying i disagree with what you said, and i personally don't find full face veil to be a commandment neither. I was just making sure that its clear that we're not trying to say that women should wear modestly to ward off men or something like that. We were only describing one of the things that usually happens when a woman dresses modestly. That it does convey at least the attitude of the woman in this regard.

OK cool

fatima_bintu_islam

My grandmother often wears a headscarf which is no different to a hijab. Im fine with it, its not really anything concerning.

I find it pathetic that women are expected to wear it to prevent a males sexual desire. Thats the worst excuse i've ever heard for oppression.

Have you read my post? Forget about men, Hijab is all about women.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

Well said.
:clap

I'll ask again - what does "preserving a woman's purity" mean?

Its called a hymen. Some men place massive importance on being the one to break it for the first time.

This is why Muslim women are advised against masterbation - in case they accidently do it themselves.... denying your husband his Allah given right to "remove your purity" could have you killed by your own family.

Last edited:

pharon85

Well said.
:clap

Its called a hymen. Some men place massive importance on being the one to break it for the first time.

This is why Muslim women are advised against masterbation - in case they accidently do it themselves.... denying your husband his Allah given right to "remove your purity" could have you killed by your own family.
you speak about what people say about islam not what is really islam about
there is different between traditions in some places in the world and islam rules
and for the virgin issue you talk about , it is about men and women
so simple rule which is sex is only between married people
which lead to normal and stable family
this is the goal of it
and about the kill you talk about , there is no right for family to kill one of its member or any one else for any reason
please try to focus about what islam order not what traditions in some places in the world say