• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Baha'i. whats the difference?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Heaven is nearness to God and hell is being isolated from Him.. Heaven and Hell are spiritual states not material places..

After death, the soul continues to evolve into different states and conditions. The so-called spiritual body that a soul inhabits when the physical body dies is thought of as comprising the moral qualities and spiritual perceptions developed during one's lifetime. Heaven and hell are not places but conditions of the soul, which is in a continual and eternal state of evolution. When the soul is near God and his purposes, that is heaven. When the soul is distant from God, that is hell.

To put it differently: according to the Baha'i faith, heaven represents a state of perfection, and hell of imperfection; heaven is the fulfillment of harmony with God's will and one's fellow beings, and hell is the absence of such harmony. The joys of heaven are spiritual, and the sorrows of hell consist of the absence of these joys. Baha'is reject any belief in the objective existence of the forces of evil. Just as darkness is simply the absence of light, so evil is explained as the absence of divine qualities at any particular level of existence.

and

the Bahá’í Writings teach that heaven and hell are conditions within our beings.19 Heaven is described as a state of nearness to God and hell as being far removed from Him.

ok i understand this, it's fine now.

does your faith have signs of judgment day (the signs before judgment day as in islamic perspective for example) and if yes can someone explain them to me.

arthra

Baha'i

arthra

Baha'i
Cadogan Gardens, London,
December 26th, 1912

'Should Prayer take the form of action?'

'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- 'Yes: In the Bahá'í Cause arts, sciences and all crafts are (counted as) worship. The man who makes a piece of notepaper to the best of his ability, conscientiously, concentrating all his forces on perfecting it, is giving praise to God. Briefly, all effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest motives and the will to do service to humanity. This is worship: to serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people. Service is prayer. A physician ministering to the sick, gently, tenderly, free from prejudice and believing in the solidarity of the human race, he is giving praise'.

'What is the purpose of our lives?'

'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- 'To acquire virtues. We come from the earth; why were we transferred from the mineral to the vegetable kingdom -- from the plant to the animal kingdom? So that we may attain perfection in each of these kingdoms, that we may possess the best qualities of the mineral, that we may acquire the power of growing as in the plant, that we may be adorned with the instincts of the animal and possess the faculties of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste, until from the animal kingdom we step into the world of humanity and are gifted with reason, the power of invention, and the forces of the spirit.'

(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 176)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Cadogan Gardens, London,
December 26th, 1912

'Should Prayer take the form of action?'

'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- 'Yes: In the Bahá'í Cause arts, sciences and all crafts are (counted as) worship. The man who makes a piece of notepaper to the best of his ability, conscientiously, concentrating all his forces on perfecting it, is giving praise to God. Briefly, all effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest motives and the will to do service to humanity. This is worship: to serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people. Service is prayer. A physician ministering to the sick, gently, tenderly, free from prejudice and believing in the solidarity of the human race, he is giving praise'.

'What is the purpose of our lives?'

'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- 'To acquire virtues. We come from the earth; why were we transferred from the mineral to the vegetable kingdom -- from the plant to the animal kingdom? So that we may attain perfection in each of these kingdoms, that we may possess the best qualities of the mineral, that we may acquire the power of growing as in the plant, that we may be adorned with the instincts of the animal and possess the faculties of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste, until from the animal kingdom we step into the world of humanity and are gifted with reason, the power of invention, and the forces of the spirit.'

(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 176)

firs of all i don't mean to be rude by this but i just want your oppinion ok.
when a painter paints to perfection he paints for money, he doesn't paint to remember god, the same with the doctor.
to remember god with something is different form not remmembering god with something. it's like comparing the dead with the live. in islam Allah says this: "the difference of him who remembers me (praises him) and him who doesn't, is like the difference between the living and the dead".
do you guys see it that way or not. i assume you don't so if you don't then could you explain how is god worshiped with the perfect prformance (perfect work or perfect painting) through such a thing such as a painting

Adib

Lover of World Religions
firs of all i don't mean to be rude by this but i just want your oppinion ok.
when a painter paints to perfection he paints for money, he doesn't paint to remember god, the same with the doctor.
to remember god with something is different form not remmembering god with something. it's like comparing the dead with the live. in islam Allah says this: "the difference of him who remembers me (praises him) and him who doesn't, is like the difference between the living and the dead".
do you guys see it that way or not. i assume you don't so if you don't then could you explain how is god worshiped with the perfect prformance (perfect work or perfect painting) through such a thing such as a painting

I'll reiterate something arthra said:

"This is worship: to serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people."

A doctor is ministering to the needs of people by engaging in his or her profession.

Most occupations do that in some way, shape or form. If a one is a painter by profession, then what he or she does in a spirit of service is considered worship, because they are utilizing his or her greatest talent - painting - to adorn and beautify homes and buildings. Fruits of other occupations can be similarly found. But so long as someone is working to the best of their ability in a spirit of service, I perceive it as worship.

This is my take on it.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
***MOD ADVISORY POST***

Just a reminder, folks, that we must take into consideration the DIR forum rule:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that Dir are permitted. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.​

Thank you.

Adib

Lover of World Religions
I would suggest that you seek out a baha'i in your comunity. One on one is always best when you are trying to learn about a religion. Contact Us - The Bahá’Ã* Faith

They can show you the writings and stuff that we can't do trough online chat.

Indeed Steinninn - even many non-Baha'is will tell you that there's a big difference between talking to some Baha'is on the Internet and actually meeting a group of them! ;)

Also eselam, if isn't too personal, may I ask where you're from? I recall seeing on another thread something about Albania. If you are Albanian, then in addition to the contact link Steinninn posted, you can also browse the Albanian Baha'i website here:

Baha'is of Albania

And just for the sake of browsing, a list of some Baha'i prayers translated into Albanian:

Lutje Baha'i

Happy searching. :)

Last edited:

UnityNow101

Indeed Steinninn - even many non-Baha'is will tell you that there's a big difference between talking to some Baha'is on the Internet and actually meeting a group of them! ;)

A big difference indeed. There is another thread speaking about how we are to decipher between peoples based on the "fruits of the Spirit" which they exhibit. And I can say with confidence that I seen these fruits best expressed within the Bahai community of believers. If they do not have the "fruits of the Spirit", then I am not sure that anybody does...

Steinninn

Viking
I'll tell you a quick story that I heard just today. The leader of Persia had sent Baha'u'llah (the latast manifestation from god today) to excile in Israel. Baha'u'llah's followers were still getting larger. So this leader figures he should send his most respected imam (it's imam right, a kind of priest, I'm not very good with these islamic words). Anyway, this imam sure had heard about Baha'u'llah, he got very angry every time he heard stories about him and was anciece to prove that he wasn't a prophet from God. He travels to Israel and as soon as he looks into Baha'u'llah's eyes he is filled with love and humillity. Even though he had believed all his life that Muhammed was the last prophet, he turnes baha'i and never returned to Persia. This is a story muslims woun't tell you, but it's true. To bad I don't remember his name. I'm sure imams now say that Baha'u'llah hypnotised him, hehe.

So, I couldn't find this story again. But my friend told me about another man called Vahid that traveled to the Bab and converted. I googled it and found the story at: BAHA'I FAITH art
Quickly it goes that Muhammad Shah was the Imperial Majesty in Persia at that time. He had heard about Bab and sent "Siyyid Yahyay-i-Darabi, the most learned and influential of his subjects, to travel to Shiraz and interview the Bab in order to ascertain the validity of His claims."

On his journey Siyyid Yahyay compiled a list of questions which he intended to present to the Bab in order to judge His response, but the Bab addressed the questions before Siyyid Yahyay was able to speak. Overwhelmed with awe and humility, he immediately pledged his allegiance to the Bab’s Cause and from that moment became known as Vahid.

You can read more of the story in the link. Also at page 44 in The Story of Baha'u'llah: Promised ... - Google Book Search

So, yea, of corse these stories sound similar to Mohammed, because they are both prophets. They had the same power to convince people.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
can i ask if there is a devil in your religion. i mean does he exist like i islam, we have a devil, the worst enemie of mankind.

arthra

Baha'i
can i ask if there is a devil in your religion. i mean does he exist like i islam, we have a devil, the worst enemie of mankind.

Baha'is do not believe in a "devil" that say can really oppose God or have an independent reality as such.

The "devil" has no independent reality and is like a shadow.. When the light beams through darkness the shadow disappears.

The "devil" is man's propensity to give in to his lower nature. Dissension and quarreling is likewise we believe "Satanic". But we don't accept the Devil as a being who is out there opposing God:

God has never created an evil spirit; all such ideas and nomenclature are symbols expressing the mere human or earthly nature of man. It is an essential condition of the soil of earth that thorns, weeds and fruitless trees may grow from it. Relatively speaking, this is evil; it is simply the lower state and baser product of nature.

~ Abdul-Baha

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Baha'is do not believe in a "devil" that say can really oppose God or have an independent reality as such.

The "devil" has no independent reality and is like a shadow.. When the light beams through darkness the shadow disappears.

The "devil" is man's propensity to give in to his lower nature. Dissension and quarreling is likewise we believe "Satanic". But we don't accept the Devil as a being who is out there opposing God:

God has never created an evil spirit; all such ideas and nomenclature are symbols expressing the mere human or earthly nature of man. It is an essential condition of the soil of earth that thorns, weeds and fruitless trees may grow from it. Relatively speaking, this is evil; it is simply the lower state and baser product of nature.

~ Abdul-Baha

thank you i understand.

what about angels?

Adib

Lover of World Religions
thank you i understand.

what about angels?

Angels are not seen as the traditionally portrayed people with wings. `Abdu'l-Baha explains that the term is symbolic and its meaning is twofold:

"By angels is meant the divine confirmations and heavenly powers. Angels are also those holy souls who have severed attachment to the earthly world, who are free from the fetters of self and passion and who have attached their hearts to the divine realm and the merciful kingdom. They are of the kingdom, heavenly; they are of the merciful One, divine. They are the manifestations of the divine grace and the dawns of spiritual bounty."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 409)

I also found something about jinns while I was looking for angels, if you're interested:

"Regarding your question as to the meaning of Jin or Genii referred to in the Qur'an, these are not beings or creatures that are actually living, but are symbolic references to the power of men of evil and may be likened to evil spirits. But the point to bear in mind is that these have no positive existence of any kind."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, June 26, 1936: Bahá'í News, No. 105, p. 1, February 1937)

BruceDLimber

Greetings, greetings! :)

if Baha'u'llah was a muslim, then how is it possible for him to be a prophet or something like that; he should have known that there is no other prophet after Muhammed (saws), it is clearly stated in the Kur'an....
I'll answer this in detail below.

from who are the messages sent to you (your religion)

I assume you mean "Who are the Divine Messengers in the Baha'i Faith?"

The two new ones since Islam are the Bab ("Gate"), who announced the imminent Advent of another, greater Divine Messenger, and Baha'u'llah ("Glory of God"), the Founder of the Baha'i Faith.

well in islam we pray to Allah directly when we do Tekbir.

We also pray to God.

what latest scriptures; where did they come from?

From God, of course! :)

The Writings of the Bab, Baha'u'llah, and 'Abdu'l-Baha (Baha'u'llah's son and appointed successor/interpreter) constitute the Baha'i scriptures and amount to approximately 200 volumes.

OK. As to Muhammad's being the Seal of the prophets:

Muslims often interpret the Qur'an as stating that Muhammad, being the Seal of the Prophets, is the final prophet and that there will be no more Divine Messengers sent by God (or Allah).

In fact, IOV this whole “last prophet” thing is based upon a misunderstanding!

There are several different explanations of the verse in the Qur’an saying Muhammad is the Seal of the Prophets (a statement we Baha’is accept):

First off, there is a sense in which EVERY Divine Messenger is the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, and the Seal!

Next, there are multiple Arabic words that all translate into English as "prophet."

One of these is "nabi," which refers to a minor prophet such as Jeremiah or Amos.

Another is Ras'ul, which means a major, religion-founding Divine Messenger like Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, or Baha'u'llah (our Founder). (And yes, Muhammad was a major--not a minor--Prophet.)

But the word actually used in the Qur'an is "nabi," meaning Muhammad was the Seal of the minor prophets! This says nothing whatever about the great Divine Messengers.

Muhammad is also the Seal in the sense that He was the last Messenger during the Prophetic Age, which began with Adam and ended with Him. The Bab then closed out that Age and opened the Age of Fulfillment, of which Baha'u'llah is the first major Messenger.

Finally, there is a sense in which the word commonly translated as "seal" also means "ornament," so that this verse of the Qur'an may simply be saying that Muhammad is the Ornament of the prophets! (Nothing whatever about any sort of finish.)

BTW, you mentioned the Day of Judgement also.

According to the Baha'i scriptures, this refers to the time when God sends a new Divine Messenger, and every person must judge whether or not to accept Him!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Hi again!

the word Kitab means book where as the other is unfurmiliar to me i have never heard it....

I can maybe help a bit here! :)

First off, as to the number of Baha'i scriptural books, you may have noticed that both the numbers 100 and 200 were stated.

Baha'u'llah Himself wrote about a hundred books.

The Bab and 'Abdu'l-Baha wrote the other hundred (mostly 'Abdu'l-Baha).

So in total, there are roughly 200 volumes of Baha'i scripture!

As to why so many, in part this is because the Baha'i Era is to last at least a millenium, and because we've progressed far enough that the additional teachings will prove useful--indeed, vital!--over the centuries.

Now, for the derivation of the term. While I'm NOT any sort of linguistic expert, I know a very, very little bit about this!:

"Quddus" means "holy," and is also the name of a prominent early Baha'i.

Superlatives are formed by prefixing an A and inserting another into the first syllable, and then eliminating unneeded letters.

So "Qud-dus" becomes "A-Qua-dus" which then reduces to "Aqdas" (the final letter shifts to an A in English, probably to ease pronunciation). So "Aqdas" means "Most Holy."

Similarly, "Baha" means "Glory." "A-Baa-ha" reduces to "Abha" and means "Most Glorious! as in the Baha'i greeting "Allah-u-Abha" / "God is Most Glorious!"

See? Now you can impress your friends at parties! :)

Cheers, :)

Bruce