• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Baha'i. whats the difference?

Steinninn

Viking
Great news, Art!

The Baha'i Writings are now available in over 800 languages! :)

Best,

Bruce

This number is missleading. All the 200 volumes haven't even been translated into english, just the most important ones have. The rest is still in arabic and farsi. I'm guessing selected writings have been translated into 800 languages.

Adib

Lover of World Religions
So, I couldn't find this story again. But my friend told me about another man called Vahid that traveled to the Bab and converted. I googled it and found the story at: BAHA'I FAITH art
Quickly it goes that Muhammad Shah was the Imperial Majesty in Persia at that time. He had heard about Bab and sent "Siyyid Yahyay-i-Darabi, the most learned and influential of his subjects, to travel to Shiraz and interview the Bab in order to ascertain the validity of His claims."

On his journey Siyyid Yahyay compiled a list of questions which he intended to present to the Bab in order to judge His response, but the Bab addressed the questions before Siyyid Yahyay was able to speak. Overwhelmed with awe and humility, he immediately pledged his allegiance to the Bab’s Cause and from that moment became known as Vahid.

You can read more of the story in the link. Also at page 44 in The Story of Baha'u'llah: Promised ... - Google Book Search

So, yea, of corse these stories sound similar to Mohammed, because they are both prophets. They had the same power to convince people.

Ahh yes, I did a report on Vahid for our Baha'i class last year. :)

I noticed they didn't have an article about him on Wikipedia, thankfully I had some time this morning to format my old notes accordingly:

Vahid Darabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BruceDLimber

All the 200 volumes haven't even been translated into english, just the most important ones have. The rest is still in arabic and farsi. I'm guessing selected writings have been translated into 800 languages.

Of course; I never said otherwise!

Nevertheless, portions of the Writings are indeed thus available.

Regards, :)

Bruce

Idog

Human
I don't know if this has been said, but Baha'is keep a different calendar and have different holidays.

Steinninn

Viking
I don't know if this has been said, but Baha'is keep a different calendar and have different holidays.
Welcome to the forum Idog.

That's right, today it is (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 9.th Qawlin the year 165.

Jonsul

Ehh....
I'm guessing that there could actually be a physical heaven and hell as long as you are in the presence of God and lack of God's presence.

I don't think Baha'i would go into many details of the future anyways as this wasn't written in the prophetic age, am I right about this?

arthra

Baha'i
I'm guessing that there could actually be a physical heaven and hell as long as you are in the presence of God and lack of God's presence.

I don't think Baha'i would go into many details of the future anyways as this wasn't written in the prophetic age, am I right about this?

Actually Jonsul the Baha'i view of heaven and hell is that it is a spiritual condition of being near God or away from Him.. So hell/heaven would not be physical places in our view.

While the Baha'i Writings were revealed between 1844 and 1921 there actually were quite a few prophecies and warnings given world leaders especially around the years 1868 - 1871. If you'd like more specifics I'll be happy to oblige you... just ask.

- Art:)

Last edited:

Jonsul

Ehh....
Yeah what I'm asking is if it's possible to have a spiritual condition of being near god and having a physical heaven as well. It would be possible to have both right?

And it would unify both religion teachings in a since

I would love to hear much more!

Last edited:

Steinninn

Viking
I don't think that the prophetic age has ended, or will ever end :)
Yeah what I'm asking is if it's possible to have a spiritual condition of being near god and having a physical heaven as well. It would be possible to have both right?

We believe that what Jesus and the other prophets were talking about were spiritual heavens and hells.

arthra

Baha'i

Well in our view "heaven" is not a physical place..but a spiirtual condition there are however many spiritual worlds of God though that the soul ascends after passing from this life.

Again Abdul-Baha describes this:

The rewards of the other world are the perfections and the peace obtained in the spiritual worlds after leaving this world; whilst the rewards of this life are the real luminous perfections which are realized in this world, and which are the cause of eternal life, for they are the very progress of existence. It is like the man who passes from the embryonic world to the state of maturity, and becomes the manifestation of these words:

"Blessed be God, the best of creators."

The rewards of the other world are peace, the spiritual graces, the various spiritual gifts in the Kingdom of God, the gaining of the desires of the heart and the soul, and the meeting of God in the world of eternity.

In the same way the punishments of the other world, that is to say, the torments of the other world, consist in being deprived of the special divine blessings and the absolute bounties, and falling into the lowest degrees of existence. He who is deprived of these divine favors, although he continues after death, is considered as dead by the people of truth.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 324

Last edited:

Jonsul

Ehh....
I know, I was just saying that Islam and Christian prophesy could go in line with Baha'i belief, and then they would work together.

Isn't that what Baha'i want^^
Union between race and religions inspired by God?

How can there ever be a union between religions when each has it's own ending,
If you already found the source is the same between them, why would the end be any different?

Couldn't God advance the whole world up to a higher level of existence or spiritual world. Then it would unite both teachings. God would have made heaven on Earth and his followers would reach a spiritual realm of closeness to God. And I'm sure the huge process would have a similar impact of emerging through the womb.

I'm sorry, I understand, I was just wondering why not unit both God inspired teachings.
I didn't mean to ramble on.

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks for your post! I've responded in italics below!

How can there ever be a union between religions when each has it's own ending,
If you already found the source is the same between them, why would the end be any different?

We think the Source of the great religions is one, that they are all God inspired and revealed at some point.. In time each religion tends to lose some of the original teachings.. So we stress where they allc came from and work for better relations between them..

Couldn't God advance the whole world up to a higher level of existence or spiritual world. Then it would unite both teachings. God would have made heaven on Earth and his followers would reach a spiritual realm of closeness to God. And I'm sure the huge process would have a similar impact of emerging through the womb.

The analogy of the womb is excellent and you'll find that in the Writings. We believe God does this (Couldn't God advance the whole world up to a higher level of existence or spiritual world) through His Prophets and Messengers. The latest of Whom were the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

I'm sorry, I understand, I was just wondering why not unit both God inspired teachings.
I didn't mean to ramble on.

Finding what we have in common with other religions does this and working togetehr to build world peace.

- Art;)

BruceDLimber

Hi, Jonsul; welcome to the neighborhood! It's great to have you here! :)

Two comments for you:

You spoke of the end of religions. IOV the "end" of each religion is essentially the Advent of a newer religion--the next stage in the ever-evolving one faith, the Faith of God!

And as to Heaven and hell, it's worth noting that being spiritual conditions, they exist here and now as well as in the next world! Indeed, each of us is in one or the other at every instant as a function of where our heads are at.

Best regards, and do keep the questions coming; they're most welcome!

Bruce

Jonsul

Ehh....
I'm glad to hear from the Baha'i Community, and to answer my questions about your faith. I'm on the edge and I think I'll remain until I at least visit a Baha'i church or temple. What do you call your places where you go to worship?
Well there's a close one near me, I'm in Dallas and I thinks it's only like 20 miles away. I checked on the main site where they had a map of them.

I've seen planet Baha'i before but I have trouble navigating, but I'll manage.

And thanks for the welcoming^^
I'll give you any questions I have, right now I'm recovering from the holidays so my mind is preoccupied right now lol.

I will say that I love the Baha'u'llah writings, they're very truthful and beautiful. I especially like this quote alot lol
"All that the sages and mystics have said or written have never exceeded, nor can they ever hope to exceed, the limitations to which man's finite mind hath been strictly subjected. To whatever heights the mind of the most exalted of men may soar, however great the depths which the detached and understanding heart can penetrate, such mind and heart can never transcend that which is the creature of their own thoughts. The meditations of the profoundest thinker, the devotions of the holiest of saints, the highest expressions of praise from either human pen or tongue, are but a reflection of that which hath been created within themselves"

I've made it my signature on my email hahahaha:D

arthra

Baha'i
Jonsul wrote:

I'm glad to hear from the Baha'i Community, and to answer my questions about your faith. I'm on the edge and I think I'll remain until I at least visit a Baha'i church or temple. What do you call your places where you go to worship?

Hello Jonsul, thanks for your post!

There's only one temple per continent so far.. So the one in the US is in Wilmette Illinois and is called the House of Worship. Baha'is have Baha'i Centers in many major cities.. Most telephone books have listinfgs for "Baha'i Faith". You can also call a toll free number 1-800-22-UNITE and speak to a Bhaa'i and they'll tell you how to connect with nearby Baha'is where you live.

Well there's a close one near me, I'm in Dallas and I thinks it's only like 20 miles away. I checked on the main site where they had a map of them.

I've seen planet Baha'i before but I have trouble navigating, but I'll manage.

Planet Baha'i is good place to dialogue and ask questions!

And thanks for the welcoming^^
I'll give you any questions I have, right now I'm recovering from the holidays so my mind is preoccupied right now lol.

I will say that I love the Baha'u'llah writings, they're very truthful and beautiful. I especially like this quote alot lol

"All that the sages and mystics have said or written have never exceeded, nor can they ever hope to exceed, the limitations to which man's finite mind hath been strictly subjected. To whatever heights the mind of the most exalted of men may soar, however great the depths which the detached and understanding heart can penetrate, such mind and heart can never transcend that which is the creature of their own thoughts. The meditations of the profoundest thinker, the devotions of the holiest of saints, the highest expressions of praise from either human pen or tongue, are but a reflection of that which hath been created within themselves"

I've made it my signature on my email hahahaha:D

Good for you...that quote is from Baha'u'llah!

- Art

sina_html

hi everyone, im new to this forum and i really enjoyed reading this th.
regarding to the old age and new age idea, can anyone tell me whats the difference between them?
i would also like to know what is the difference between the prophets of the old age and the new age (characteristic, the way they work, etc...), my first thought would be that the old age prophets tried to lead the mankind into believing in one god and being thankful to him and having good behavior and etc, i also understand that prophet Mohammad was more serous about social aspects of the human life.
so what about the new age?

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
hi everyone, im new to this forum and i really enjoyed reading this th.
regarding to the old age and new age idea, can anyone tell me whats the difference between them?

Welcoem to the Forum Sina!

I'm a little unsure what you are referring to when you wrote:

"...regarding to the old age and new age idea, can anyone tell me whats the difference between them?"

All the prophets of God taught that God is One and urged brotherhood among men and good will. While peace was also part o f their message it was not until the present age that the specific principles to bring about peace have been revealed..

Baha'is are looking ahead..postively to the future or the new age if you will..

Why is that? Because our principles are future oriented..

Baha'u'llah wrote Tablets to the rulers of the world back in 1870 or so and advised them to set up a world parliament and an international court of arbitration because He knew then way back in the nineteenth century what would bring world peace and reconciliation..

He also urged the equality of men and women and universal education for all the children o fthe earth.. He urged that a universal auxiliary language be adopted.. So these and other principels He urged were forward looking progressive principles that we are still trying to implement today!

Baha'is believe that we are entering an age of peace and world community unknown before and see how this fulfills the prophecies of the past.. there was a well known Hadith that speaks of the Mahdi:

In the same way that bees gather round the queen, so people will gather round the Mahdi. He will fill the world, once filled with oppression, with justice instead. Such will be his justice that the sleeping man will not be awakened and no blood will be shed. The world will return to the Age of Happiness.

(al-Qawl al-Mukhtasar, pp. 29 and 48)

- Art

Last edited:

sina_html

While peace was also part o f their message it was not until the present age that the specific principles to bring about peace have been revealed..

- Art
i think im beggining to understand, thank u for ur quick reply btw,
i have another question, what is the bahai view about "miracles".
beside the fact that we should think about the spiritual values and meaning of these events, do u believe that miracles actually/physically happen? (like splitting the sea, bringing death to life , etc..)