• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your faith of any practical use?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
but wouldn't put his hand in his pocket to provide the starving with food! He reckoned Bibles were much more important!

Christians should know the Bible - where Jesus talked to "the least of these".

From the Jewish tradition:
"We live in a state of emergency, where the fires of confusion are raging. When a fire is burning, everyone is responsible for helping his fellow man." Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson (Lubavitcher Rebbe)

Islam: “...But the righteousness is to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Prophets, and to give of your wealth out of love for Him, to your kin and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves…” (Quran, 2:177)

I'm sure that something similar exists for other religions and in the ethics of secular humanists.

David T

Premium Member
I fathom you are correct. Let me explain how I understand concepts...

I believe in the evolution of language, and I'm not afraid to use such a thing to my advantage. For example, I could say, God is Yang, and it would sound retarded to some people, but I might establish a new term for the word "Yang", and it still wouldn't refute my point. And some people, except maybe the ones who take the subject really seriously, would understand what I mean. The only consequences to my actions is if people get annoyed or sense a disturbance in the force. If people do, I feel they are taking themselves too seriously and also not understanding such a liberal, head-in-the-clouds sort of view as my own. At the same time, they have a right to their opinion, and I'm not going to get upset if they call me out.
"I believe in the evolution of language, and I'm not afraid to use such a thing to my advantage. For example, I could say, God is Yang, and it would sound retarded to some people"

Someone with a daugther that has "limitations" i have to laugh0at the intrinsict contradiction. Although yes language is very subjective unto itself.

David T

Premium Member
I have great respect for people who seek to help others in a practical way and let their deeds do the talking. For instance, our eldest daughter is an Anglican Priest, during school holidays she and some of the helpers from her church, provide a mid day meal for children from poor families who would normally have free school lunches. They provide the money for the food, my husband and I donate to this good cause too. Our girl also does other practical things to help others.

I have no respect for those who think forcing their faith on others is more important than attending to their needs. I knew a 'born again Christian, long dead, who was more than happy to donate money to give the 'heathen' in other countries Bibles, but wouldn't put his hand in his pocket to provide the starving with food! He reckoned Bibles were much more important!:mad:

My husband and I are non believers, since we married as young people in 1969 we have tried to be helpful to those who were less fortunate than ourselves. We had three birth daughters and then went on to adopt two lads with learning difficulties, the first boy is of mixed race with moderate learning problems, he was nine years old when he came to us. Our younger son, of Greek Cypriot parentage, has Down's Syndrome, and is quite severely mentally disabled but the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, he came to us when he was 13 months old. We also fostered a teenager with DS, he stayed with us for nine years. In our old age my husband and I are reasonably comfortably off financially, it gives us more pleasure to donate money to good causes, than spend it on ourselves. I am not blowing our own trumpet when stating this, as helping others has given our life meaning therefore we have benefitted greatly.:)
i wpuld say my faith in nature helps me not get to serious and be less Disturbed by disturbing people of faith.

The world changes by the million acts of annomous kindness that happen before we realize it. I would say in christianity, without josephes kindness there is no jesus. A very hidden gem in that story. While everyone elses eyes are on Jesus, his eyes are looking somewhere else somewhere hidden and anonomous.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have great respect for people who seek to help others in a practical way and let their deeds do the talking. For instance, our eldest daughter is an Anglican Priest, during school holidays she and some of the helpers from her church, provide a mid day meal for children from poor families who would normally have free school lunches. They provide the money for the food, my husband and I donate to this good cause too. Our girl also does other practical things to help others.

I have no respect for those who think forcing their faith on others is more important than attending to their needs. I knew a 'born again Christian, long dead, who was more than happy to donate money to give the 'heathen' in other countries Bibles, but wouldn't put his hand in his pocket to provide the starving with food! He reckoned Bibles were much more important!:mad:

My husband and I are non believers, since we married as young people in 1969 we have tried to be helpful to those who were less fortunate than ourselves. We had three birth daughters and then went on to adopt two lads with learning difficulties, the first boy is of mixed race with moderate learning problems, he was nine years old when he came to us. Our younger son, of Greek Cypriot parentage, has Down's Syndrome, and is quite severely mentally disabled but the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, he came to us when he was 13 months old. We also fostered a teenager with DS, he stayed with us for nine years. In our old age my husband and I are reasonably comfortably off financially, it gives us more pleasure to donate money to good causes, than spend it on ourselves. I am not blowing our own trumpet when stating this, as helping others has given our life meaning therefore we have benefitted greatly.:)
ok....find and good...

you are angels in disguise

but I'm not sure who you are pointing your finger at

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have no respect for those who think forcing their faith on others is more important than attending to their needs.
I fully agree, and I'm quite pleased with my church in how much it helps with the needy and dispossessed regardless as to whether they're Catholic or not. For one example, the Capuchin soup kitchen not too far from here feeds over a thousand meals per week, and yet roughly 90% of those that attend are not Catholic.

JJ50

ok....find and good...

you are angels in disguise

but I'm not sure who you are pointing your finger at

I have no time for those of the 'born again' dogma who think they are the only ones who are going skywards, assuming a heaven actually exists.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have no time for those of the 'born again' dogma who think they are the only ones who are going skywards, assuming a heaven actually exists.
oh....that wouldn't be me then
I have no dogmatic belief

but I can't help but wonder?

do you perform as you say...... expecting return in the next life

I do believe that can happen

JJ50

oh....that wouldn't be me then
I have no dogmatic belief

but I can't help but wonder?

do you perform as you say...... expecting return in the next life

I do believe that can happen

Sorry I am not quite clear about what you are trying to say?

PureX

Veteran Member
If he had questioned the nonsense that came out of his mouth it would have been a good thing. He was always right and everyone who didn't see it his way was going to burn in hell.
Yes, I know the type, and that's unfortunate. But I try to remember that I don't know from what point other people are starting from, so I can't really judge them by where they end up. It could be that his kind of absolutist, authoritarian religiosity was the best he could do given the kind of fear and doubt and intellectual 'wiring' that he had to work with. There isn't really any way for me to know when someone else is or isn't doing the best they can.

PureX

Veteran Member
I fathom you are correct. Let me explain how I understand concepts...

I believe in the evolution of language, and I'm not afraid to use such a thing to my advantage. For example, I could say, God is Yang, and it would sound retarded to some people, but I might establish a new term for the word "Yang", and it still wouldn't refute my point. And some people, except maybe the ones who take the subject really seriously, would understand what I mean. The only consequences to my actions is if people get annoyed or sense a disturbance in the force. If people do, I feel they are taking themselves too seriously and also not understanding such a liberal, head-in-the-clouds sort of view as my own. At the same time, they have a right to their opinion, and I'm not going to get upset if they call me out.
But all you're really doing is muddying up the communication stream because you're too lazy and/or egocentric to bother using the words appropriately. And then when someone objects, you accuse them of being "too uptight" rather than accepting their correction.

Is that really who you want to be?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But all you're really doing is muddying up the communication stream because you're too lazy and/or egocentric to bother using the words appropriately. And then when someone objects, you accuse them of being "too uptight" rather than accepting their correction.

Is that really who you want to be?

If it means being attacked for my arguments rather than my writing style, perhaps. Like if I present a good point, people will say "You can't use that word that way" rather than attack the argument even in cases where they know what I mean. So if that game is played... I am ready for it. Now if they just want honest clarification, I think I can do that as well.

Is your faith of any practical use?

To me faith means person is loyal to God. And when person is loyal to Bible God, he loves his neighbor as himself. And if person does so, he doesn’t do anything evil to others, but instead all kind of good things. To me, it seems quite practical use.

PureX

Veteran Member
If it means being attacked for my arguments rather than my writing style, perhaps. Like if I present a good point, people will say "You can't use that word that way" rather than attack the argument even in cases where they know what I mean. So if that game is played... I am ready for it. Now if they just want honest clarification, I think I can do that as well.
Why not just be honest and clear to start with, and avoid all the confusion and bickering?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why not just be honest and clear to start with, and avoid all the confusion and bickering?

Define "honest and clear" in terms of what the whole forum would understand. Explain the syntax. Explain the proper way of saying "I am Yin." in a sentence.

Audie

Veteran Member
Having faith significantly changes who I am. And that positively effects everyone I encounter. This was probably also true, at least somewhat, even for your evangelical friend.

Affect:

In general, the word affect is used as a verb. A good way to remember this is that affect is an action. If you’re talking about something that someone does, it’s affect.

Example: The book really affected Sally’s opinion; she had never thought about parenting in that way before.

Because the book is acting upon Sally, we are using the word as an action so we say affect.

Effect:

In contrast, effect is used as a noun. The effect of something is the end-result. If you’re talking about an end product or situation, you’re going to want to use effect.

Example: The trial had a negative effect on the small town.

PureX

Veteran Member
Define "honest and clear" in terms of what the whole forum would understand. Explain the syntax. Explain the proper way of saying "I am Yin." in a sentence.
There is no proper way of saying "I am Yin". It's nonsense according to the meaning of the 5,000 year old concept of yin and yang. It's like saying, "I am network". Unless your name is "Network", it's a nonsensical statement.

I don't know what you meant in your original post because you misused the term. If you had simply taken the time to explain what you meant using the appropriate words we could have discussed it. Instead, we are just wasting time debating your nonsensical misuse of terms. What purpose does this serve apart from your own ego's entertainment?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There is no proper way of saying "I am Yin". It's nonsense according to the meaning of the 5,000 year old concept of yin and yang. It's like saying, "I am network". Unless your name is "Network", it's a nonsensical statement.

I don't know what you meant in your original post because you misused the term. If you had simply taken the time to explain what you meant using the appropriate words we could have discussed it. Instead, we are just wasting time debating your nonsensical misuse of terms. What purpose does this serve apart from your own ego's entertainment?

Evolution: How the theory is inspiring a new way of understanding language

PureX

Veteran Member
Affect:

In general, the word affect is used as a verb. A good way to remember this is that affect is an action. If you’re talking about something that someone does, it’s affect.

Example: The book really affected Sally’s opinion; she had never thought about parenting in that way before.

Because the book is acting upon Sally, we are using the word as an action so we say affect.

Effect:

In contrast, effect is used as a noun. The effect of something is the end-result. If you’re talking about an end product or situation, you’re going to want to use effect.

Example: The trial had a negative effect on the small town.
I appreciate the correction, but at my age I seem to be doomed to confuse these words forever, as I also continually confuse 'phenomena' and 'phenomenon', and to use twice as many commas as were actually necessary in any given sentence. At this point I think it's a weirdly specific hereditary learning disorder.