• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your faith of any practical use?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I understand that language evolves. I also understand that if we start inventing new definitions for the words we use, no one will understand anything we are saying.

I have a much broader view. When communicating on internet forums, so long as you don't intentionally try to speak nonsense and you have some grasp of the language, the people closest to you will understand. Since debates are often about the crowd's opinion, one can point to the crowd and say "Hey, see what I mean? This other guy is AT-ATing" and an established crowd, at least the people who know the guy, will know exactly what he means.

Now you still have to use consideration. Like sometimes you will get a new member who just isn't ready for filling in the blanks, but I propose yet another theory which goes like this:

-On internet forums, people often only listen to the people they feel a connection with, which doesn't always have to do with sentence structure.

Audie

Veteran Member
I appreciate the correction, but at my age I seem to be doomed to confuse these words forever, as I also continually confuse 'phenomena' and 'phenomenon', and to use twice as many commas as were actually necessary in any given sentence. At this point I think it's a weirdly specific hereditary learning disorder.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have a much broader view. When communicating on internet forums, so long as you don't intentionally try to speak nonsense and you have some grasp of the language, the people closest to you will understand. Since debates are often about the crowd's opinion, one can point to the crowd and say "Hey, see what I mean? This other guy is AT-ATing" and an established crowd, at least the people who know the guy, will know exactly what he means.

Now you still have to use consideration. Like sometimes you will get a new member who just isn't ready for filling in the blanks, but I propose yet another theory which goes like this:

-On internet forums, people often only listen to the people they feel a connection with, which doesn't always have to do with sentence structure.

As a further point, I do have a lot of respect for you PureX. You're articulate, if a bit less frenetic than me. If I act too conservative in my writing, it's not going to be me, that Progressivist LGBTQ+ post-punkrocker 30 year old born in the 80's who likes Beastie Boys. But even so, I'll tell you what -- I'll see what I can do for the best. Sometimes the best truths are in between both arguments.

I'm going to change the subject once you have a chance to speak, if there is anything else you want to say.

Vee

Premium Member
I have great respect for people who seek to help others in a practical way and let their deeds do the talking. For instance, our eldest daughter is an Anglican Priest, during school holidays she and some of the helpers from her church, provide a mid day meal for children from poor families who would normally have free school lunches. They provide the money for the food, my husband and I donate to this good cause too. Our girl also does other practical things to help others.

I have no respect for those who think forcing their faith on others is more important than attending to their needs. I knew a 'born again Christian, long dead, who was more than happy to donate money to give the 'heathen' in other countries Bibles, but wouldn't put his hand in his pocket to provide the starving with food! He reckoned Bibles were much more important!:mad:

My husband and I are non believers, since we married as young people in 1969 we have tried to be helpful to those who were less fortunate than ourselves. We had three birth daughters and then went on to adopt two lads with learning difficulties, the first boy is of mixed race with moderate learning problems, he was nine years old when he came to us. Our younger son, of Greek Cypriot parentage, has Down's Syndrome, and is quite severely mentally disabled but the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, he came to us when he was 13 months old. We also fostered a teenager with DS, he stayed with us for nine years. In our old age my husband and I are reasonably comfortably off financially, it gives us more pleasure to donate money to good causes, than spend it on ourselves. I am not blowing our own trumpet when stating this, as helping others has given our life meaning therefore we have benefitted greatly.:)

I couldn't put it any better than what the Bible says in James 2:14-17 "Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 15 If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it? 17 So, too, faith by itself, without works, is dead."

Audie

Veteran Member
I couldn't put it any better than what the Bible says in James 2:14-17 "Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 15 If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it? 17 So, too, faith by itself, without works, is dead."

I wonder what the word "faith" means in this case.

Probably it means just, "belief in god".

Baroodi

I have great respect for people who seek to help others in a practical way and let their deeds do the talking. For instance, our eldest daughter is an Anglican Priest, during school holidays she and some of the helpers from her church, provide a mid day meal for children from poor families who would normally have free school lunches. They provide the money for the food, my husband and I donate to this good cause too. Our girl also does other practical things to help others.

I have no respect for those who think forcing their faith on others is more important than attending to their needs. I knew a 'born again Christian, long dead, who was more than happy to donate money to give the 'heathen' in other countries Bibles, but wouldn't put his hand in his pocket to provide the starving with food! He reckoned Bibles were much more important!:mad:

My husband and I are non believers, since we married as young people in 1969 we have tried to be helpful to those who were less fortunate than ourselves. We had three birth daughters and then went on to adopt two lads with learning difficulties, the first boy is of mixed race with moderate learning problems, he was nine years old when he came to us. Our younger son, of Greek Cypriot parentage, has Down's Syndrome, and is quite severely mentally disabled but the nicest person you could ever wish to meet, he came to us when he was 13 months old. We also fostered a teenager with DS, he stayed with us for nine years. In our old age my husband and I are reasonably comfortably off financially, it gives us more pleasure to donate money to good causes, than spend it on ourselves. I am not blowing our own trumpet when stating this, as helping others has given our life meaning therefore we have benefitted greatly.:)

:peace::peace::peace:Well done. This should be the outcome of a Real Godly religion. You need to be rewarded for your good work in this life and there hereafter. God is fair. Prophet Muhammed was asked: Who is most beloved person by God? He said; "the most useful to people"

JJ50

Some of the extremists haven't read that verse!

Reactions: Vee

PureX

Veteran Member
As a further point, I do have a lot of respect for you PureX. You're articulate, if a bit less frenetic than me. If I act too conservative in my writing, it's not going to be me, that Progressivist LGBTQ+ post-punkrocker 30 year old born in the 80's who likes Beastie Boys. But even so, I'll tell you what -- I'll see what I can do for the best. Sometimes the best truths are in between both arguments.

I'm going to change the subject once you have a chance to speak, if there is anything else you want to say.
Nothing more on evolving linguistics, no. Still awaiting the original point, or something new, whichever.

Audie

Veteran Member
I understand that language evolves. I also understand that if we start inventing new definitions for the words we use, no one will understand anything we are saying.
Next thing you know, "awesome" will be used
to say, "thank you".

Muffled

Jesus in me
If he had questioned the nonsense that came out of his mouth it would have been a good thing. He was always right and everyone who didn't see it his way was going to burn in hell.

I believe being born again doesn't make a person always right. The person must also be able to receive wisdom and understanding.
I believe there are valid reasons why a person might go to Hell but it would not be because a person disagreed with another persons opinion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
My Faith places great emphasis on being to service to others and the community. Our Founder Baha'u'llah taught "Let deeds, not words be your adorning".

I believe people doing good deeds are just as likely to go to Hell as those who aren't.

Baroodi

and which is greater?
that I labor of hand to serve your need
or tell you a parable about my Lord

(O you have believed, Why do you recommend things by saying but don't do it, What a heinous act for God to say things that you don't do); translated Quran 61:3

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you

Ok what does this blahblahblah nonsensical writing have to do with the title of this thread?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Judaism, although it does have beliefs, is not so much a religion of orthodoxy (right belief) as it is of orthopraxy (right behavior). I have studied the basics of Jewish law (613 of them), even a little Talmud. One thing every Rabbi I have studied under has taught me is that all the teachings can be summed up in two laws: Love God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

For many Jews, loving our neighbor isn't just the individual choices we make as instances come up. It also means going out of our way to make changes in how human beings create societies, and treat the earth itself. We have a saying, Tikkun Olam, "Repair the World." IOW, if I know someone in my synagogue is out of work, I can help out with their grocery bill. That's good. But even better is to regularly support a food bank. Even better than that is to help create government programs to feed those who are poor and hungry. Even better than that is to create Jobs Programs for self sufficiency, or even to go to the root of the problem and devote considerable public funds to public education in poor areas so that every person has the skills to be gainfully employed in the first place. Tikkun Olam.