• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Vaccine Moral?

Is it moral to vaccinate schoolgirls against the HP virus?

• Total voters

Booko

Deviled Hen
Green Gaia said:
I think the immoral thing to do when dealing with cancer to do not do everything possible to prevent it.

Hm...I could give you an entire list of foods that should be banned, then.

And we should all be force fed berries.

Yeah...I know that's not what you meant. :D

It makes sense to put the info out there about this vaccine. At least the fracas in Texas has brought it to the attention of the public. Before that, I'd no idea it existed. It's not like I bring my kids to the pediatrician much any more. Or that they'd have time to tell me about it if I did.

robtex

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
I'm surprised there's any argument over this; of course they should! It is not a doctor's job to withhold potentially life-saving vaccines to punish people for having sex!

In Texas Gov Rick Perry who is a proponet of theocracy (he signs bills regulary in churches against gay marriage and abortion) is for this and the christian churches in Texas are enraged thought they are reserved about articulating why. I read in one source it was suggested it could promote promiscuity and in the past medical advances, churches around here suggest, are a obstacle in divine will though I haven't heard that applied to this idea yet.

here is a qoute from this source:
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/02/23/23govhpv.html

The next day, when the governor's executive clerk went to church, he was unprepared for the criticism he would encounter.
"I got hammered in church this morning on the Merck thing — and it was just Saturday," Chief Clerk Greg Davidson wrote in a Feb. 3 e-mail to colleagues, referring to the company that makes the vaccine. "Do we have any talking points or stats or anything that can help me fight through Sunday. This is brutal."

and this source states:
http://www.redorbit.com/news/scienc...rrys_vaccine_plan/index.html?source=r_science
"She wouldn't make any predictions about the Senate, but 26 of the 31 senators have signed a letter asking Perry to withdraw his order."-- she being Diane Delsi, chairwomen House public health community.

footnote:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4578423.html

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The only immoral thing is to deny the vaccine to those who need it.

as for vaccines being bad... just look at what smallpox did to my people, or Polio and tell me vaccines arn't a good thing.

It is awfully easy for people in our modern comfortable culture to poo-poo vaccination, too few people actually realize all the good that comes from it.

And most vaccines are cultured in chicken eggs not aborted fetuses, nor do they contain mercury (try not eating so much fish).... :bonk:

wa:do

pete29

MaddLlama said:
It may, but how effective is the message for teenagers? Wouldn't it be better to teach them that "abstinence is the only way to 100% prevent against pregnancy and STDs, but if you choose to have sex here is a list of ways you can protect yourself"? Or, would you rather kids who choose to have sex get pregnant or contract an STD? I would rather see precautions taken, like beging vaccinated to lower the chances of cancer, than sitting back doing nothing and just hope that kids aren't having sex.

Which option is more realistic?[/quote This sounds like the, Oh well , they're going to do it anyway excuse. Any discussion on birth control or STDs that does not at least include abstinence is in my judgement wreckless. I have no problem with an innoculation that protects againt cancer,my wife lost a leg to cancer as a child, but to discuss these topics without mentioning the most successful of these protections seems foolhardy. I'm not accusing you, but some people wish the word abstinence didn't exist.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
pete29 said:
This sounds like the, Oh well , they're going to do it anyway excuse. Any discussion on birth control or STDs that does not at least include abstinence is in my judgement wreckless. I have no problem with an innoculation that protects againt cancer,my wife lost a leg to cancer as a child, but to discuss these topics without mentioning the most successful of these protections seems foolhardy. I'm not accusing you, but some people wish the word abstinence didn't exist.

Go back and re-read my post. I never said that we shouldn't teach kids about abstience at all. Matter of fact I said the complete opposite.
And, they are going to do it anyway, so there is no reason to keep kids uninformed about how to protect themselves. People are upset over abstinence only education - the kind where educators misinform kids, and try to bully them into making an arbitrary promise that they probably won't keep. Then they assume that all of those kids will never have sex until married, so therefore they don't need to learn anything about pregancy or STD's. I would like to see abstinence only education die, and be replaced with proper sex edcuation. You may be surprised, but that includes abstinence - it's just presented as an option, and kids are informed that it's the only 100% way to prevent STD's and pregnancy. Even Planned Parenthood tells kids that.
Just because people are upset about abstinence only education doesn't mean that we want to encourage kids to have sex.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Hm...I could give you an entire list of foods that should be banned, then.

And we should all be force fed berries.

Yeah...I know that's not what you meant. :D
Yeah, I didn't write that very well last night. :cover:

pete29

MaddLlama said:
Go back and re-read my post. I never said that we shouldn't teach kids about abstience at all. Matter of fact I said the complete opposite.
And, they are going to do it anyway, so there is no reason to keep kids uninformed about how to protect themselves. People are upset over abstinence only education - the kind where educators misinform kids, and try to bully them into making an arbitrary promise that they probably won't keep. Then they assume that all of those kids will never have sex until married, so therefore they don't need to learn anything about pregancy or STD's. I would like to see abstinence only education die, and be replaced with proper sex edcuation. You may be surprised, but that includes abstinence - it's just presented as an option, and kids are informed that it's the only 100% way to prevent STD's and pregnancy. Even Planned Parenthood tells kids that.
Just because people are upset about abstinence only education doesn't mean that we want to encourage kids to have sex.[/quote A lot of people aren't just mad at abstinence only education, they don't want abstinence taught at all. I'm sorry if I sound like I lumped you in with that group, to do so was foolish.

astarath

Morals come from God, celabecy/monogamy are God's command.
Vaccines to treat STD's that can only be obtained by havign multiple sexual partners therefore is merely an extension of man trying to alleviate the pain of our carnal pleasures. As it is not a creation of God but rather a creation of man that propagates the promiscuous lifestyle of this era, I am leaning towards immoral.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
astarath said:
Vaccines to treat STD's that can only be obtained by havign multiple sexual partners therefore is merely an extension of man trying to alleviate the pain of our carnal pleasures. As it is not a creation of God but rather a creation of man that propagates the promiscuous lifestyle of this era, I am leaning towards immoral.
Good for your godly morals, mine don't rely on a yet to be proven entity, which is particularly lucky for my two daughters in this case.
So you're a firm believer in the whole 'The wages of sin are death' thing then? :sarcastic
Nice.
I think I'll skip the deity that thinks it's better for women to die of cervical cancer 20 years down the track, if it's all the same to you. Sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant kinda bloke.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
astarath said:

Does that mean that women who have sex out of marriage deserve to get HPV and possibly cervical cancer?

And, BTW, not all morals come from God. Yours may, but mine certainly don't, and that doesn't make me an immoral person.

evearael

Not all sex is consentual. Should a rape victim be further traumatized with cancer resulting from her ordeal several years later when that secondary trauma could easily be averted by a simple vaccination?

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I think the vaccine is a God send! I don't think it should be mandatory, though.

Accidents happen even when you are careful, a vaccine against HPV is so awesome!

My daughter is getting vaccinated whenever she is at the age they recommend.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
astarath said:

<snorts>

Puhlease..

Ody

Sunstone said:
HPV is a virus that causes cervical cancer, which each year kills tens of thousands of women world wide. There is now a vaccine that prevents HPV infections. Some people want to require schoolgirls to get the vaccine, while other people say that doing so would encourage the kids to have sex and is thus immoral. What do you think? Should schoolgirls get the vaccine or not?

What are potential affects of the vaccine?

lizskid

BANNED
Let's see....is it moral to innoculate someone against a potentially fatal disease? DUH, it would be more immoral to have the vaccine and NOT innoculate them...

This disease, while preceeded by sexual contact, can occur to any woman-married, etc. So, just because it relates to some future sexual contact should not preclude it from saving lives.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

evearael said:
Not all sex is consentual. Should a rape victim be further traumatized with cancer resulting from her ordeal several years later when that secondary trauma could easily be averted by a simple vaccination?
lizskid said:
Let's see....is it moral to innoculate someone against a potentially fatal disease? DUH, it would be more immoral to have the vaccine and NOT innoculate them...

This disease, while preceeded by sexual contact, can occur to any woman-married, etc. So, just because it relates to some future sexual contact should not preclude it from saving lives.

Both of you make very good points which I hadn't really thought about.

Unfortunately, as usual, these points seem to be lost on the Religious Right. :(