• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Vaccine Moral?

Is it moral to vaccinate schoolgirls against the HP virus?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
HPV is a virus that causes cervical cancer, which each year kills tens of thousands of women world wide. There is now a vaccine that prevents HPV infections. Some people want to require schoolgirls to get the vaccine, while other people say that doing so would encourage the kids to have sex and is thus immoral. What do you think? Should schoolgirls get the vaccine or not?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm surprised there's any argument over this; of course they should! It is not a doctor's job to withhold potentially life-saving vaccines to punish people for having sex!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
That's a question you wouldn't even be asked in most developed countries. Of course it's fine.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
If that's their argument to not vaccinate them, then I think that's what's immoral. I think that it's best to cover all of your bases and give the vaccine to everyone whether they plan on having sex or not. Because there's always that chance that the sworn virgin will either give it up, or have it be taken by force; if she's vaccinated, then there's no problem, in terms of the HPV virus.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
HPV is a virus that causes cervical cancer, which each year kills tens of thousands of women world wide. There is now a vaccine that prevents HPV infections. Some people want to require schoolgirls to get the vaccine, while other people say that doing so would encourage the kids to have sex and is thus immoral. What do you think? Should schoolgirls get the vaccine or not?
Ah, you meant a moral issue about the vaccination, not the vaccine. Well, I think it's not immoral for a society and/or a government to require vaccinations against disease. The vaccination itself has nothing to do with "kids having sex".

standing_alone

I don't think there is anything wrong with girls receiving this vaccine. I do think there is something wrong with the abstinence-only crowd, however. ;)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Djamila said:
Abstinence-only sex education? You're joking... that should be a crime against humanity, to purposely and willingly raise ignorant youth.

Oddly enough, that's how a lot of people feel.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Djamila said:
Abstinence-only sex education? You're joking... that should be a crime against humanity, to purposely and willingly raise ignorant youth.

Yup. I agree. The attack on education in the States is across the board, however, and not just limited to sexuality education. There are politically powerful forces here who don't want kids taught evolution, for instance. It's all part of the same notion that the best way to raise "morally upright" people is to keep them in the dark and feed them BS.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is it moral to vaccinate schoolgirls against the HP virus?
Hmm. This question poses a different, though related, question than the OP. To answer this one: no, there is no "moral" component to vaccinations.

FatMan

Sunstone said:
It's all part of the same notion that the best way to raise "morally upright" people is to keep them in the dark and feed them BS.

That worked in the 50's:D

I don't see anything morally wrong with either the development or the use of this vaccine.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Sunstone said:
I don't see how this vaccine will make them hornier or more attractive. Let them have the vaccine. Let the parents decide.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is a good thing.
" Many lawmakers oppose the vaccine requirement because they believe it contradicts Texas' abstinence-only sex education policies and strays too far into the lives of families."
Those law makers need a good beating for wanting denying a life-saving injection because thier worried teens are going to be teens.

evearael

I must echo Gentoo. It doesn't seem that they are taking into account that not all sex is consentual. I wanted to wait until marriage... but I was repeatedly raped in high school and that choice was taken from me. I am very fortunate not to have contracted an STD as a result.