• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Vaccine Moral?

Is it moral to vaccinate schoolgirls against the HP virus?

• Total voters

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Anti-World said:
Sex is gross but dying is sad. Maybe they are just trying to protect the child that might be raped by a person with HPV. :D Ya right...

Why is sex gross?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Sunstone said:
HPV is a virus that causes cervical cancer, which each year kills tens of thousands of women world wide. There is now a vaccine that prevents HPV infections. Some people want to require schoolgirls to get the vaccine, while other people say that doing so would encourage the kids to have sex and is thus immoral. What do you think? Should schoolgirls get the vaccine or not?

Depends on whether or not you believe in the prevention of cancer or not.

Which is to say for anyone who has a conscience, of course they should!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sunstone said:
HPV is a virus that causes cervical cancer, which each year kills tens of thousands of women world wide. There is now a vaccine that prevents HPV infections. Some people want to require schoolgirls to get the vaccine, while other people say that doing so would encourage the kids to have sex and is thus immoral. What do you think? Should schoolgirls get the vaccine or not?
The first time I ever heard that people were objecting to young girls getting this vaccination because it would encourage promiscuity, I thought I couldn't possibly have heard right. I couldn't help but want to say, "Oh, yeah, definitely don't vaccinate them. They're just asking for cervical cancer. If they get it, it serves them right." :eek: Some people really are stupid, but that takes the cake.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Quoth The Raven said:
Just out of interest, why wouldn't you vaccinate your kids against anything?

I have concerns about any sort of vaccinations, but not out of any moral issues with them. Some vaccinations have been traced as the source for high mercury levels, others contain substances that trigger allergies.

At this point, I would be very hesitant to allow my daughter or myself to be vaccinated with *anything* unless the company could provide me with reliable data about what's in their bloody vaccination.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Booko said:
I have concerns about any sort of vaccinations, but not out of any moral issues with them. Some vaccinations have been traced as the source for high mercury levels, others contain substances that trigger allergies.

At this point, I would be very hesitant to allow my daughter or myself to be vaccinated with *anything* unless the company could provide me with reliable data about what's in their bloody vaccination.

Now that would be a fair argument for potentially not getting vaccinated. Honestly, I'm don't know how big the risk really is, but when you're talking about mercury contamination, that is not something you want to play with. They measure that stuff in the parts per BILLION, which equates to concentrations on the order of 0.0000001%. :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Now that would be a fair argument for potentially not getting vaccinated. Honestly, I'm don't know how big the risk really is, but when you're talking about mercury contamination, that is not something you want to play with. They measure that stuff in the parts per BILLION, which equates to concentrations on the order of 0.0000001%. :eek:

Exaxtly. My best friend just got her results on a hair test back. Her mercury levels are sky high and aluminum isn't far off. And she was wondering why she's fatigued all the time, her brain is foggy, and her liver is shot.

My daughter and I are allergic to dairy, corn and probably soy.

Corn derivatives are in EVERYTHING...

When I go out in public, I bring my own toilet paper with me, because some brands of TP are dusted with cornstarch.

I'm not getting anywhere near a vaccination until I know *exactly* what's in it. And quite frankly, I don't trust the businesses who produce them to tell me the complete and accurate truth even if I asked.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oh, I should also mention that some vaccinations use aborted fetal tissue. Those of you who are morally opposed to abortion -- keep this in mind.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
My opinion is that if you want to get it, go ahead. I don't think they should make it mandatory because:

1) I have a mortal fear of vaccines of any kind, and I'm sure other girls do, too.
2) It's something that I, and other Christian girls like me will never have to worry about.

I don't think it's entirely stupid to think getting the shot it immoral. I sorta think it is, but if a girl is going to have sex at a young age, I would rather her do it and not get HPV because of the vaccine than do it and get HPV. It sounds like people are trying to punish the girls for having sex by denying them the vaccines.

Will the vaccines still be optional even if they don't decide to make them mandatory?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
2) It's something that I, and other Christian girls like me will never have to worry about.

I don't want to touch on anything too sensitive, but "good" Christian girls are still susceptible to rape.

Again, my main concern is with the company making a profit off of the state. Taking down a disease that affects 50% of adult women, I have nothing against that.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Katzpur said:
The first time I ever heard that people were objecting to young girls getting this vaccination because it would encourage promiscuity, I thought I couldn't possibly have heard right. I couldn't help but want to say, "Oh, yeah, definitely don't vaccinate them. They're just asking for cervical cancer. If they get it, it serves them right." :eek: Some people really are stupid, but that takes the cake.

Oh indeed. As I said in my post, such people really need to crawl back under their rock because, frankly, their 'moral' view is worse than if the makers of the vaccine really were trying to encourage promiscuity - somehow to me needlessly refusing to save lives beats encouraging extra-marital sex hands down as far as immorality goes.

smoky*mountain*starlight said:
Well, I wouldn't be quite so sure about that unless you're going to carefully vet any potential husband. Both halves would have had to have remained abstinent prior to marriage to be any guarantee that the vaccine is unnecessary, but I do agree that it should be available but not compulsory.

James

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Sunstone said:

No one should be required to recieeve any vaccine they don't want.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Anade, I'll tell you exactly what I tell my teenagers. NEVER underestimate the power of the sex drive.

Being a devout Christian who is careful in the realm of modesty will give you a lot of protection as well, but it isn't 100% either.

Please walk your religious path with practical feet. :)

Will the vaccines still be optional even if they don't decide to make them mandatory?

For anyone who has access to healthcare, the vaccine is available now. Any pediatrician will have it.

The demographic problem is, those at highest risk for early premarital sex also tend to be those with less access to healthcare.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to make this vaccination widely and easily available. Then people have real choices.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Anade, I'll tell you exactly what I tell my teenagers. NEVER EVER underestimate the power of the sex drive.

Being a devout Christian who is careful in the realm of modesty will give you a lot of protection as well, but it isn't 100% either.

Please walk your religious path with practical feet. :)

For anyone who has access to healthcare, the vaccine is available now. Any pediatrician will have it.

The demographic problem is, those at highest risk for early premarital sex also tend to be those with less access to healthcare.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to make this vaccination widely and easily available. Then people have real choices.

Booko

Deviled Hen
JamesThePersian said:
Well, I wouldn't be quite so sure about that unless you're going to carefully vet any potential husband. Both halves would have had to have remained abstinent prior to marriage to be any guarantee that the vaccine is unnecessary, but I do agree that it should be available but not compulsory.

Which raises a question I haven't heard addressed anywhere yet: Why just the girls? Is there some medical reason not to vaccinate boys as well?

We don't typically vaccinate only half the population for other diseases. Is this just a cost-reduction thing?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Booko said:
Which raises a question I haven't heard addressed anywhere yet: Why just the girls? Is there some medical reason not to vaccinate boys as well?

We don't typically vaccinate only half the population for other diseases. Is this just a cost-reduction thing?

I'd guess, yes. According to the BBC today, gay men here are queueing up for the jab (privately of course) because HPV can also cause penile and anal cancer (so that means heterosexual men, clearly, must also be at risk) and apparently, acording to the smae source, the British government is considering as one possibility, both vaccination girls and boys.

James

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Booko said:

I have thought this very thing. It should be obvious that even if men have few or no symptoms from HPV, that at least some carry the disease. Wouldn't it make sense to take care of 100% of the problem instead of 50% of it?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Sunstone said:
http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=179474&SecID=2

" Many lawmakers oppose the vaccine requirement because they believe it contradicts Texas' abstinence-only sex education policies and strays too far into the lives of families."
Interesting postition to take.
Let me guess, Texas, unlike most other states, must not have to present shot records to enroll their children in school.

For those of you who live in Texas and have no idea what a "shot record" is, since having to have certain vaccinations is obviously not required in Texas, because "it strays to far into the lives of families", as it is in most other states, perhaps I should explain.

Here where I live I had to get my daughter vaccinated for all manner of things AND had to present a written record of these shots ("shot records"), so that the school could photocopy them for their records, in order to enroll my daughter in school.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
I have thought this very thing. It should be obvious that even if men have few or no symptoms from HPV, that at least some carry the disease. Wouldn't it make sense to take care of 100% of the problem instead of 50% of it?

Especially, as any epidemiologist will tell you, not 100% of those girls will actually get the vaccine. But if we cover a percentage of the male population as well, then the rates of transmission go down even more.

I suspect cost may be an overriding issue here. The thing is with women who have HPV, there's no visible sign of it. With men, they can figure it out from seeing the brown spot where it shouldn't be.

Like a lot of STDs, they're more deadly in women than in men, because early detection is a problem.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Mestemia said:
Here where I live I had to get my daughter vaccinated for all manner of things AND had to present a written record of these shots ("shot records"), so that the school could photocopy them for their records, in order to enroll my daughter in school.

It's not just schools, but things like summer camps as well.

Though usually there's an "out" for those with religious objections.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I don't want to touch on anything too sensitive, but "good" Christian girls are still susceptible to rape.

Again, my main concern is with the company making a profit off of the state. Taking down a disease that affects 50% of adult women, I have nothing against that.

Hmm, good point. I never thought about that. You totally bursted my bubble, I'll probably get it now even though I'm scared of shots. :sad4: You know, just in case. But then again, it's new, and nobody really knows if there would be any long term effects from the vaccine itself, do they? Hmm, I don't know....they still shouldn't make it mandatory, though.