• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this statement homophobic?...

Is the statement below homophobic?

• Yes

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't understand what you mean.

Its a basic question.

citation

noun
  1. 1.
    a quotation from or reference to a book, paper, or author, especially in a scholarly work.
    "the majority of the citations are to work published during the past twenty years"
I want to know who said it, when and under what circumstances. I would also like proof to establish who said it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you have a citation?

Why do you ask? Is there any source that makes that comment go from immoral to moral, from irrational and destructive bigotry to loving and constructive?

The coined word 'homophobic' is not very well coined. It would literally mean "Afraid of self" if it were translated from the prefixes and suffixes; but its a word now. It is a vague word referring to all fears related to homosexuality.

We don't use the roots literally, and doing so can be a mistake: "An etymological fallacy is committed when an argument makes a claim about the present meaning of a word based exclusively on that word's etymology."

The phobia suffix is not limited in meaning to fear. It can refer to aversion for any reason.

Hydrophobia is a lay term for rabies that originally referred to the avoidance of drinking that results from the pain of drinking. Xenophobia is "dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries." There may be fear of them, but hatred is enough. Atheophobia "is a term used to describe the fear, distrust, or hatred of atheists or atheism." Photophobia is "an abnormal sensitivity to or intolerance of light, especially by the eyes, as may be caused by eye inflammation, lack of pigmentation in the iris, or various diseases."

None of these are phobias in the sense of irrational fears like agoraphobia or arachnophobia, which always involve fear.

"Homo" in the word homophobia refers to same (sex), as with homogeneous or homologous - not self.

All words are coined (invented, "made up"), including coined, including including, and including and.

Are gay men and women, by choosing same sex relationships, heterophobic?

They may be averse to straight sex for themselves, but unless they consider straight people morally defective, no, they are not heterophobic.

We Never Know

No Slack
Why do you ask? Is there any source that makes that comment go from immoral to moral, from irrational and destructive bigotry to loving and constructive?

We don't use the roots literally, and doing so can be a mistake: "An etymological fallacy is committed when an argument makes a claim about the present meaning of a word based exclusively on that word's etymology."

The phobia suffix is not limited in meaning to fear. It can refer to aversion for any reason.

Hydrophobia is a lay term for rabies that originally referred to the avoidance of drinking that results from the pain of drinking. Xenophobia is "dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries." There may be fear of them, but hatred is enough. Atheophobia "is a term used to describe the fear, distrust, or hatred of atheists or atheism." Photophobia is "an abnormal sensitivity to or intolerance of light, especially by the eyes, as may be caused by eye inflammation, lack of pigmentation in the iris, or various diseases."

None of these are phobias in the sense of irrational fears like agoraphobia or arachnophobia, which always involve fear.

"Homo" in the word homophobia refers to same (sex), as with homogeneous or homologous - not self.

All words are coined (invented, "made up"), including coined, including including, and including and.

They may be averse to straight sex for themselves, but unless they consider straight people morally defective, no, they are not heterophobic.

"They may be averse to straight sex for themselves, but unless they consider straight people morally defective, no, they are not heterophobic."

Imo most christains(religious people or whatever)are averse to gay sex more than they are to the people themselves.

With many things, if one doesn't like what others are doing, they tend not to only frown upon the action but also frown upon the person as well.

We Never Know

No Slack
The truth is its quite possible that homosexuality can and will spread everywhere. The fear that this might happen is an actual fear not uncommon in straight society. The coined word 'homophobic' is not very well coined. It would literally mean "Afraid of self" if it were translated from the prefixes and suffixes; but its a word now. It is a vague word referring to all fears related to homosexuality. Yes that statement "Homosexuality...(etc) ...purged from the world" represents homophobic feelings.

I am not sure what would happen if the world became more homosexual. I don't know. The idea is unsettling to me. That doesn't mean I have a problem with homosexuals or with the existence of homosexuality. The unknown is always unsettling. Is that homophobic? Yes.

Does homophobic also refer to a fear of individual homosexuals? Yes.

Does it refer to fear of being flirted at by homosexuals? Yes.

Does it also refer to minor discomfort around one or more homosexuals? Yes.

Its a catch-all word. If you don't like the idea of a gay president, you're homophobic.

IMO its a dislike not a fear. One can dislike something and not fear it.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Its a basic question.
citation
noun
  1. 1.
    a quotation from or reference to a book, paper, or author, especially in a scholarly work.
    "the majority of the citations are to work published during the past twenty years"
I want to know who said it, when and under what circumstances. I would also like proof to establish who said it.
I didn't claim anyone said it, so there is no citation.
Are those words, used it that order, homophobic?
Are you claiming that there is a context where that statement is not homophobic? If so, please explain.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I voted no.

Certain “-phobia” words such as this are tossed around too casually these days and in many cases have lost all meaning. As such I do not use them. I suppose it can be useful to those who prefer simple, reductive explanations for human nature, so they don’t have to do as much thinking… but I prefer a far more comprehensive understanding before judging people.
So you don't see the statement as being negative, prejudicial, hostile or intolerant towards homosexuality?
Interesting.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Are straight men and women, by choosing opposite sex relationships, homophobic?
Are people phobic because it is installed into them by Microsoft, or are phobias the result of being a human?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Who said this and where? On RF?

This is clearly homophobic
Yes, we need to know them

As

Homophobia is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Or

Maybe we can pray the "anti-gay" away

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
IMO its a dislike not a fear. One can dislike something and not fear it.
I think the OP sentence is a phobia, because its saying homosexuality must be purged from the world. Its saying its evil. Evil is something people fear.

Sometimes homophobia is merely dislike and not a phobia. The word has more than one meaning, because for a while it was used to imply that people who disliked homosexuality must be phobic. It was used defensively like that for a while and sometimes still is. Often it was true, too, that people who said they disliked it were phobic. So the two things became part of the same word. This pretty much got popularized during my lifetime, so I recall first hearing the world and seeing how it was used.

You're not wrong, and it was the specific use for this word from its beginnings: to imply that someone was phobic because of their dislike. That it was very often true and that they were phobic strengthened the association.

Thanks for the info.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't spread; it's not a disease. It's been pretty stable at 10% through history, but people are not hiding it anymore, which they shouldn't.
Music spreads. News spreads. Knowledge of homosexuality has been suppressed, so yes it can spread. Fear of this is much like fear of other things that spread...such as unions or vaping or rollerblading, except its pretty acute when some believe it results in hurricanes and plagues from God.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean by this, spreading like some disease? Or that the possible increase is due to there being no longer fear of 'coming out'?
Fear that evil spreads. This is an actual fear people have, an impression people get when they hear sermons about Sodom from various sources. Carmen, the famous Christian singer, preaches about it in his song America Again. He says open homosexuality is a sign that the "Judgement of God is going to fall" as part of his song. That song has been around for over 20 years and still gets plays. Some people fear that their town might become like Sodom or their country. It gets preached more often then you might think. We've also had famous TV preachers here in the states make declarations about this, claiming plagues and natural disasters have come because of open homosexualty. Its a thing that people fear for religious reasons. I don't; but I have heard about it enough to know its a thing.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Following a heated discussion elsewhere, I looking for opinions from others.
Thanks for helping.
Yes. Obviously.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think the OP sentence is a phobia, because its saying homosexuality must be purged from the world. Its saying its evil. Evil is something people fear.

Sometimes homophobia is merely dislike and not a phobia. The word has more than one meaning, because for a while it was used to imply that people who disliked homosexuality must be phobic. It was used defensively like that for a while and sometimes still is. Often it was true, too, that people who said they disliked it were phobic. So the two things became part of the same word. This pretty much got popularized during my lifetime, so I recall first hearing the world and seeing how it was used.

You're not wrong, and it was the specific use for this word from its beginnings: to imply that someone was phobic because of their dislike. That it was very often true and that they were phobic strengthened the association.

Thanks for the info.

Again.... Imo its dislike not a fear.
I don't fear pedophiles, I very much dislike the sick ****s and think they should be purged from the world.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Music spreads. News spreads. Knowledge of homosexuality has been suppressed, so yes it can spread. Fear of this is much like fear of other things that spread...such as unions or vaping or rollerblading, except its pretty acute when some believe it results in hurricanes and plagues from God.

Oh, I thought you meant that homosexuality spreads. Okay, never mind. lol Whoa, I liked Carman but didn't know about that song. Ugh.