• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this statement homophobic?...

Is the statement below homophobic?

• Yes

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Following a heated discussion elsewhere, I looking for opinions from others.
Thanks for helping.
No.
How did we get to a place where anything we dis- agree with is a phobia?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Again.... Imo its dislike not a fear.
I don't fear pedophiles, I very much dislike the sick ****s and think they should be purged from the world.
The sentence is not fearful, but it is homophobic. It is homophobic because homophobic is defined to include such sentiments as dislike. I understand what you mean I think.

Oh, I thought you meant that homosexuality spreads. Okay, never mind. lol Whoa, I liked Carman but didn't know about that song. Ugh.
Personally? No I think homosexuality is a part of the human gene which we religionists suppress within ourselves. Rather than spread, homosexuality might awaken like a sleeping passion -- like a sudden awareness. The modern fears about it view it as some evil perpetuated by a malicious supernatural intelligence or possibly a punishment by God. I view it much differently, like something about my society that is changing and which could have unforeseen effects. I don't at all view it as a disease.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Thanks for helping.

That just looks like a personally composed set of words, with a connotation to get approval of what was said in the other heated discussion.

Regards Tony

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Are people phobic because it is installed into them by Microsoft, or are phobias the result of being a human?
My question was meant to be satirical, but to answer your question, obviously the result of being human, however social media does tend to offer the opportunity to 'play' into this field for better or for worse.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
That just looks like a personally composed set of words,
The origin of the words is irrelevant. The point is whether they show prejudice, discrimination or hostility towards homosexuality.
In fact, the origin should be unknown to avoid bias in the voting.

with a connotation to get approval of what was said in the other heated discussion.
The purpose was to see what people in general think of those words in a neutral context. And over 90% of them consider them to be homophobic.

What about you? What is your opinion.
Do those words constitute homophobia ("negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality")?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No.
How did we get to a place where anything we dis- agree with is a phobia?
This is incorrect. The provided statement is homophobic. Now one can argue if being homophobic is bad or not. After all, replace the word homosexuality with Nazism, and we get Naziphobic...which is considered a moral stance to have.

KWED

No and No. It gives the OP better context.

Regards Tony
So basically you are trying to skew results in your favour by deliberately removing objectivity.
Seems pretty dishonest.

The point is to avoid any bias due to possible favourable or unfavourable attitudes towards the source.

Last edited:

KWED

Which raises another question: May it also be said that not all homophobia is due to religion alone?
Perhaps not directly in recent times, but it could be argued that the concept of intolerance to homosexuality fundamentally stems from the Abrahamic religions. Homosexuality seems to have been generally accepted, and even valued, in most cultures around the world before the imposition of Christianity or Islam or traditional western values.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you ask? Is there any source that makes that comment go from immoral to moral, from irrational and destructive bigotry to loving and constructive?

It matters to me because in another thread these words were falsely attributed to the Baha'i writings.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Thanks for helping.
I don't see how it could not be homophobic.