• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this statement homophobic?...

Is the statement below homophobic?

• Yes

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Following a heated discussion elsewhere, I looking for opinions from others.
Thanks for helping.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Thanks for helping.
You made it quite easy for me

This is extreme² homophobic

Not only homophobic, but also genocide (massmurdering all)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Thanks for helping.
Hmmm tough one. Give me a clue: does it result in spending all eternity burning in the fires of hell?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. In my view if anywhere in your dialogue comes 'I would never be gay, not because I'm straight but because someone told me being gay or having gay sex is immoral' is homophobic. Distinctly different from an 'I like chocolate over vanilla' it's putting an irrationally negative value judgement on someone's traits.

How I'm going to react, however, is not based on their scripture (because scriptural literalism is a boring strawman) but how they personally deal with gay people in their life. If they don't treat gays as lesser, try to stop them from being gay, vote against gay rights then I have no reason at all to get in their face about it except to literally virtue signal. (Not a term I use lightly or often. And don't get me wrong, the very act of declaring 'god says being gay is wrong' is also virtue signaling.)

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Thanks for helping.

Well, yes.
But the general problem is this: It is okay to harm people, who are wrong.
That one is not limited to standard religion and includes the problems of what harm and wrong are. Further some people don't understand, when they are harming other people.
And no, you can't use evidence to measure harm or wrong.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thanks for helping.

Yes

Heyo

Veteran Member

Thanks for helping.
No.
To call this homophobic is an insult to homophobes. For me it sounds more religious than homophobic.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks for helping.

Do you have a citation? Thanks

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks for helping.
The truth is its quite possible that homosexuality can and will spread everywhere. The fear that this might happen is an actual fear not uncommon in straight society. The coined word 'homophobic' is not very well coined. It would literally mean "Afraid of self" if it were translated from the prefixes and suffixes; but its a word now. It is a vague word referring to all fears related to homosexuality. Yes that statement "Homosexuality...(etc) ...purged from the world" represents homophobic feelings.

I am not sure what would happen if the world became more homosexual. I don't know. The idea is unsettling to me. That doesn't mean I have a problem with homosexuals or with the existence of homosexuality. The unknown is always unsettling. Is that homophobic? Yes.

Does homophobic also refer to a fear of individual homosexuals? Yes.

Does it refer to fear of being flirted at by homosexuals? Yes.

Does it also refer to minor discomfort around one or more homosexuals? Yes.

Its a catch-all word. If you don't like the idea of a gay president, you're homophobic.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The truth is its quite possible that homosexuality can and will spread everywhere. The fear that this might happen is an actual fear not uncommon in straight society. The coined word 'homophobic' is not very well coined. It would literally mean "Afraid of self" if it were translated from the prefixes and suffixes; but its a word now. It is a vague word referring to all fears related to homosexuality. Yes that statement "Homosexuality...(etc) ...purged from the world" represents homophobic feelings.

I am not sure what would happen if the world became more homosexual. I don't know. The idea is unsettling to me. That doesn't mean I have a problem with homosexuals or with the existence of homosexuality. The unknown is always unsettling. Is that homophobic? Yes.

Does homophobic also refer to a fear of individual homosexuals? Yes.

Does it refer to fear of being flirted at by homosexuals? Yes.

Does it also refer to minor discomfort around one or more homosexuals? Yes.

Its a catch-all word. If you don't like the idea of a gay president, you're homophobic.
Are straight men and women, by choosing opposite sex relationships, homophobic?