• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this statement homophobic?...

Is the statement below homophobic?

• Yes

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
How high is the bar for the two people who voted no?
Maybe they found the question too obvious and reacted opposite...anonymous poll makes doing that more easy. Then there are naysayers also

BUT

IF on the other hand their reply is serious THEN they seem very dangerous to me ("killing" all homos)

Last edited:

stvdv

Okay, if someone takes themselves as the standard for help, they can in some cases hurt another human.
True, and happens a lot I think. It's not easy to know what is good for others. And some don't like to be helped, especially unasked

I decided I better wait till they ask, then I know for sure they appreciate being helped

And even then, we have seen the past few years that even some (quite a few) "experts" had it completely wrong how best to help covid situation etc., so it's easy to give help that turns out to be harming the other

Clizby Wampuscat

Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Following a heated discussion elsewhere, I looking for opinions from others.
Thanks for helping.
Yes, here is one definition:

• Disliking or fearing homosexuals to an unreasonable degree.

I think the "purged from the world" fits the definition of unreasonable dislike.

stvdv

Okay, if someone takes themselves as the standard for help, they can in some cases hurt another human.
Indeed, that can be a pitfall, taking yourself as the standard for help. Better to stay humble.

Helping others gives a good feeling. So a good attitude might be to be thankful to those who give you the chance to help. At least helps me to stay humble

We Never Know

No Slack
Homosexuality is an evil passion, immoral, shameful aberration, to be purged from the world.

Following a heated discussion elsewhere, I looking for opinions from others.
Thanks for helping.

Homophobic: having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people.

I would say the statement qualifies.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I voted no.

Certain “-phobia” words such as this are tossed around too casually these days and in many cases have lost all meaning. As such I do not use them. I suppose it can be useful to those who prefer simple, reductive explanations for human nature, so they don’t have to do as much thinking… but I prefer a far more comprehensive understanding before judging people.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The truth is its quite possible that homosexuality can and will spread everywhere. The fear that this might happen is an actual fear not uncommon in straight society. The coined word 'homophobic' is not very well coined. It would literally mean "Afraid of self" if it were translated from the prefixes and suffixes; but its a word now. It is a vague word referring to all fears related to homosexuality. Yes that statement "Homosexuality...(etc) ...purged from the world" represents homophobic feelings.

I am not sure what would happen if the world became more homosexual. I don't know. The idea is unsettling to me. That doesn't mean I have a problem with homosexuals or with the existence of homosexuality. The unknown is always unsettling. Is that homophobic? Yes.

Does homophobic also refer to a fear of individual homosexuals? Yes.

Does it refer to fear of being flirted at by homosexuals? Yes.

Does it also refer to minor discomfort around one or more homosexuals? Yes.

Its a catch-all word. If you don't like the idea of a gay president, you're homophobic.

It doesn't spread; it's not a disease. It's been pretty stable at 10% through history, but people are not hiding it anymore, which they shouldn't.

We Never Know

No Slack
I voted no.

Certain “-phobia” words such as this are tossed around too casually these days and in many cases have lost all meaning. As such I do not use them. I suppose it can be useful to those who prefer simple, reductive explanations for human nature, so they don’t have to do as much thinking… but I prefer a far more comprehensive understanding before judging people.

Homophobic: having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people.

So if one is shaming, them, belittling them, disliking them because they are gay, etc. I think the statement is homophobic.

pearl

Not sure how "context" would change the issue?

Maybe the infamous Letter to the Romans understood as idolatry as the abomination, not the celebration of it.
Any time someone insists that homosexuality is a 'choice' tends to be homophobic.