• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this few words enough to convert?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@adrian009 there is one thing i do notice. And it is that after my interest for Islam grow stronger i noticed my inner peace grow too. Especially the last few days after i had the rant the other day. My mind has become more relaxed and i do not feel any threat from RF members, as i might have done before.

That's more proof than saying the words, in my opinion. I mean, I can say "jesus be my Lord and savior" all day and night but if it doesn't bring peace and clarity, it's a waste of spiritual time.

I'd say start practicing islam first for a month or so (beyond questions and reflections) and see if The Practice brings peace in itself. Another thing I noticed about myself is things I hold at high value, if someone took them away from me I'd be mentally dead. If you can switch out of islam if it doesn't work for you later on, I'd say wait.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First of all i must read the quran more then one time to really understand the teaching :) and no it is not going to be a blind faith, because i know i need answers to a thousand questions :p
I am sure there will be parts of both the quran and other teachings i will question, until i understand why it is written as it is.

I already see it as a true teaching. So i dont think that will be a problem.

But as you see, i have more questions then answers right now :)
I read this as intention to accept the entire Koran as true.
Correct?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I read this as intention to accept the entire Koran as true.
Correct?
I do believe the quran is a true teaching yes. I might have some thoughts that does still linger from other teachings i have studied.
But i will know more soon when i study it deeper. I do not blindly believe, so i will take my time to understand the teaching.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do believe the quran is a true teaching yes. I might have some thoughts that does still linger from other teachings i have studied.
But i will know more soon when i study it deeper. I do not blindly believe, so i will take my time to understand the teaching.
To clarify.....
100% inerrant truth...no matter what it says?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
As many of you guys know i have lately thought of converting to Islam, and yes one of the reasons is because of my girlfriend is muslim, and i have been asked by family if i by my own wish want to convert to Islam. There is no presure from them that i have to. Of course this is only one of many questions i must ask my self before accepting Islam in to my life fully.

But my main question is, i read that by saying one line of words out aloud i Will become a muslim. Is this true? I Will say it would be a lot more for me because i must learn the quran by heart and i know that is not easy.

The words i heard i must say is this : La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah
If i say them truthfully, does that mean i am a muslim?

Please only serioues answers, its a serioues matter to me.

You don't really need to memorize the quran but to follow its guidance, such as
avoiding drinking alcoholic beverages, eating pork, bad deeds ....etc

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How would you deal with finding something unacceptable, eg....
- Putting apostates to death?
- Relegating women to a subservient role?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Since apostasy (i.e. change your mind later) might get you killed, I would think twice about that.

Ciao

- viole

Apostacy is a misunderstood concept that was never mentioned in the quran
but it was first applied after the death of the prophet when some Muslims
formed an army to fight Islam and hence Abu Baker announced that Muslims
should fight these Apostasies, it was a war and not killing the peaceful ones.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How would you deal with finding something unacceptable, eg....
- Putting apostates to death?
- Relegating women to a subservient role?
Where does the quran say that one should physically kill someone who who leave?
I do not see woman as subservants, and have not found it in the teaching.
My girlfriend is not subhuman to me, nor is any other woman

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where does the quran say that one should physically kill someone who who leave?
I do not see woman as subservants, and have not found it in the teaching.
My girlfriend is not subhuman to me, nor is any other woman
Those are just hypotheticals....things you might find in the Koran.
How can you judge a book as inerrant truth without having yet
read it? What method judge it so even after reading it?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Those are just hypotheticals....things you might find in the Koran.
How can you judge a book as inerrant truth without having yet
read it? What method judge it so even after reading it?
I believe islam as a religion to be true. I dont need to know the teaching fully to hold that view.
But to be a muslim and to be one who are interested in the teaching are two different things. I can not answer every question because i have to study before i can answer.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
My opinion, and I repeat my opinion only, why do the words spook you?
Seems to me that words do not convert anyone.
Don't get me wrong, words can help one convert, but it is my opinion that the words really do not matter one bit.
It is what is in your heart that counts.

Like saying "I Love You".
They are mere words.
It is what those words MEAN in the hearts of those using and hearing them that count.

Don't get me wrong.
Words are still important.
They are just not the end all be all.

Yes, the dumb can just do it by heart.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You think that’s a bonus ?
Wow, we think differently, lol.
Wives are for life, not just for Christmas.
Oh, that was just friendly banter. You know, Arjuna could not defeat a Eastern India king with all his might because Arjuna had more than one wife and that king had only one. I have been a one-marriage person for 52 years. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm unsure about the latter but the former definitely isn't in the Qur'an.
I don't say that those things are in it.
But seeing how Islam is practiced around the world,
those are possibilities.
He's decided that the Koran is "true" without having read it.
This poses a potential problem if he discovers something
that conflicts with values he won't give up.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the Abrahamic Gods always keep testing people, sometimes by earthquakes (disasters), sometimes by diseases (Covid-19). Those who succeed in the tst will get to heaven on the day of Kiyamah.

Why would you assume I was speaking of an Abrahamic God (or a God at all for that matter) that was administering the test?