• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this few words enough to convert?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IMO this should be irrelevant. If for whatever reason you found you were no longer with her, would you still be thinking your choice was correct? It seems you are going to go ahead, what has happened to your commitment to Falun Gong beliefs? Are your Islamic beliefs as strong as that?
Good question :) Falun gong to me will always be special but i have not truthfully been practicing as i should, actually i dont even think i was able to gain any wisdom due to my lack of practicing. So could i even call my self a Falun gong practitioner when i was not practicing? In my mind i could not.

I can say that my girlfriend has made an influence on me to look in to Islam, but i am the one who will chose in the end. I would not convert strictly because of love. It has to come from the heart, i have to want it my self. And honestly i do.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If i do fully convert it will be only my choice, and it will be out of truthfulness,it is not something i take lightely.

Well, if you do, I recommend you do not visit Hammerfest when there is a Ramadam in summer. You might starve to death :)

Ciao

- viole

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The words i heard i must say is this : La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah
If i say them truthfully, does that mean i am a muslim?
IMO:
1) We have a conscience and a good set of brains. Mostly our first gut feeling is quite right
2) You have been reading and thinking on Islam for quite a long time now
3) It seems you have some serious doubts about it
4) Or you are like me, and "take a decision and do it" is not so easy

But in case of Islam, I think it is wise to think twice before jumping aboard
Because there are some verses that indicate that it is very bad to step out
These might give you guilt feelings later, even if you interpret them different

Erebus

Like saying "I Love You".
They are mere words.
It is what those words MEAN in the hearts of those using and hearing them that count.

Don't get me wrong.
Words are still important.
They are just not the end all be all.

An excellent way of putting it.

As for whether or not you should convert, Amanaki, that's a decision that has to come from you and isn't one to take lightly. The best advice I can give is to echo what others have said about separating your desire to convert from your affection for your girlfriend. That's something worth reflecting on and one way you might do that is to ask, "If my girlfriend decided to convert to Falun Gong, would I still want to convert to Islam?"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IMO:
1) We have a conscience and a good set of brains. Mostly our first gut feeling is quite right
2) You have been reading and thinking on Islam for quite a long time now
3) It seems you have some serious doubts about it
4) Or you are like me, and "take a decision and do it" is not so easy

But in case of Islam, I think it is wise to think twice before jumping aboard
Because there are some verses that indicate that it is very bad to step out
These might give you guilt feelings later, even if you interpret them different
First i must fully step in to be able to step out of it :p
But yes it take time to take a correct desision:)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hehe :) i think Ramadan will be ok where i live just outside of Oslo
IF you were living up north you might have a real problem, when the sun never sets:), so don't plan to go there:)
I was curious and checked for Oslo ... June will be the toughest with 19 hours of sun, no food (you need good digestion at night;))

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
An excellent way of putting it.

As for whether or not you should convert, Amanaki, that's a decision that has to come from you and isn't one to take lightly. The best advice I can give is to echo what others have said about separating your desire to convert from your affection for your girlfriend. That's something worth reflecting on and one way you might do that is to ask, "If my girlfriend decided to convert to Falun Gong, would I still want to convert to Islam?"
I have thought of this yes. And honestly in my mind i never once thought of asking her to convert to Falun gong. Because in my understand she has a good grasp on Islam teaching and follow it as a personal path, and she does not speak about it much.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good question :) Falun gong to me will always be special but i have not truthfully been practicing as i should, actually i dont even think i was able to gain any wisdom due to my lack of practicing. So could i even call my self a Falun gong practitioner when i was not practicing? In my mind i could not.

I can say that my girlfriend has made an influence on me to look in to Islam, but i am the one who will chose in the end. I would not convert strictly because of love. It has to come from the heart, i have to want it my self. And honestly i do.

Would you have been interested in Islam before you met your girlfriend?
Was it an "aha" moment or a "I want" moment? (I know you can say both, but I believe there is a difference)

That, and many times in our religions and lifestyle in general, we don't practice all the way or maybe don't have the discipline to practice. BUT if the religion is there in your heart, you may struggle, you may fall away, but you can't just "not believe." Make sure Islam is a Fact for you not a belief.

How to become a Muslim

How to Convert to Islam and Become a Muslim

I know you're saying you're doing this for you. I don't see anything wrong with your girlfriend being an influence of that. Does not devalue that it's from within. That said, I wouldn't do it right away.

If you want to hear my experience (if you haven't already read somewhere on this site), when I met my roman catholic friend, she had a deep impact on me with her belief. I heard about god and studied what people say about god, so I went to the priest and asked him questions. "He told me to wait." I didn't. Went through confirmation and practice for four years. I love the discipline. I love the practice. I love the community, friends, and huge resources the church provides and supports you with. I love how they help people with charity (and how they helped me with food, clothes, furniture, and rent).

But at the end, that's not the reasons why I should believe in christianity. Not for friends (though they are influences), not for what I like to practice (and it was wholehearted), and not for necessity (food, furniture, etc). But for Me. It should be MY values and something I cannot budge on even if Satan stood in front of me.

I hope you don't leave later on. I know there's a lot of hard things about Islam but that's just like many abrahamic religions. So, if you're going through with it make sure, in my opinion, it's something you've wanted and something you would continue to do with or without your girlfriend's support.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IF you were living up north you might have a real problem, when the sun never sets:), so don't plan to go there:)
I was curious and checked for Oslo ... June will be the toughest with 19 hours of sun, no food (you need good digestion at night;))
Ramadan do change from year to year no matter where we are, so i guess if needed one would follow the timezone of a place not covered in darkness all winter. So a muslim in North of Norway may look at timetable for Oslo where winter has light too

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Would you have been interested in Islam before you met your girlfriend?
Was it an "aha" moment or a "I want" moment? (I know you can say both, but I believe there is a difference)

That, and many times in our religions and lifestyle in general, we don't practice all the way or maybe don't have the discipline to practice. BUT if the religion is there in your heart, you may struggle, you may fall away, but you can't just "not believe." Make sure Islam is a Fact for you not a belief.

How to become a Muslim

How to Convert to Islam and Become a Muslim

I know you're saying you're doing this for you. I don't see anything wrong with your girlfriend being an influence of that. Does not devalue that it's from within. That said, I wouldn't do it right away.

If you want to hear my experience (if you haven't already read somewhere on this site), when I met my roman catholic friend, she had a deep impact on me with her belief. I heard about god and studied what people say about god, so I went to the priest and asked him questions. "He told me to wait." I didn't. Went through confirmation and practice for four years. I love the discipline. I love the practice. I love the community, friends, and huge resources the church provides and supports you with. I love how they help people with charity (and how they helped me with food, clothes, furniture, and rent).

But at the end, that's not the reasons why I should believe in christianity. Not for friends (though they are influences), not for what I like to practice (and it was wholehearted), and not for necessity (food, furniture, etc). But for Me.

I hope you don't leave later on. I know there's a lot of hard things about Islam but that's just like many abrahamic religions. So, if you're going through with it make sure, in my opinion, it's something you've wanted and something you would continue to do with or without your girlfriend's support.
I was already looking in to Islam teaching before meeting her yes. But i noticed she help me understand in a good way. So even she do help me to understand she is not the reason for my thoughts of converting :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
As many of you guys know i have lately thought of converting to Islam, and yes one of the reasons is because of my girlfriend is muslim, and i have been asked by family if i by my own wish want to convert to Islam. There is no presure from them that i have to. Of course this is only one of many questions i must ask my self before accepting Islam in to my life fully.

But my main question is, i read that by saying one line of words out aloud i Will become a muslim. Is this true? I Will say it would be a lot more for me because i must learn the quran by heart and i know that is not easy.

The words i heard i must say is this : La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah

Please only serioues answers, its a serioues matter to me.

Maybe you should ask an Imam.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
As many of you guys know i have lately thought of converting to Islam, and yes one of the reasons is because of my girlfriend is muslim, and i have been asked by family if i by my own wish want to convert to Islam. There is no presure from them that i have to. Of course this is only one of many questions i must ask my self before accepting Islam in to my life fully.

But my main question is, i read that by saying one line of words out aloud i Will become a muslim. Is this true? I Will say it would be a lot more for me because i must learn the quran by heart and i know that is not easy.

Hi Amanaki.
I don't know about declaring for Islam or becoming a Muslim but I do have a question.

Have you read and learned the Koran?

If you have not then I am not sure whether you should declare just yet. You must surely know Islam and be able to distinguish and decide between Sunni, Shia and other Islamic groups. ??

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe you should ask an Imam.
I have already done :) and even he did say it would be good to convert, he left it up to me to make the choice, so right now i am in a deep thinking prosess about it. So the full convertion has not yet taken place.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

If you say these words, do you think your core views will change to that if Islam?

I don't think anything anyone else says here, including me, really matters. Do you?

But then again, you just typed them, so maybe you're already Muslim.*

*Sorry, I'm new to this "serious" thing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To be fair, learning Scripture is a lifelong practice. Of course I'd argue one needs enough familiarity with it to make an informed decision, but Scripture study is not something you can really just do in a year or so. A lot of people have to take the plunge first then are studying in depth after that. Either that will bring them closer to their faith or the honest ones who can't grasp it will leave.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hi Amanaki.
I don't know about declaring for Islam or becoming a Muslim but I do have a question.

If you have not then I am not sure whether you should declare just yet. You must surely know Islam and be able to distinguish and decide between Sunni, Shia and other Islamic groups. ??
My girlfriend is sunni so it will be toward sunni islam i will conver if i actually go through with it fully, i can still not read Arabic, so i do read an english translation of the quran right now, but yes i will have to learn and memorize the arabic one. And as you say it take time to know islam good enough to be able to call my se.lf a muslim.