• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this few words enough to convert?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you say these words, do you think your core views will change to that if Islam?

I don't think anything anyone else says here, including me, really matters. Do you?

But then again, you just typed them, so maybe you're already Muslim.*

*Sorry, I'm new to this "serious" thing.
No i do not think those words alone would make me a muslim :) i see some differences from my past belief so yes i must study to understand Islam fully. I am not yet there :) it is a journey

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Did it really, though? Or was it just happenstance? Given the right set of circumstances, she could have been born Falun Gong.

Maybe this is a test of sorts for @Amanaki.
It is clearly a test, not only in faith but in love and relationship too.
I have already in my private life experienced difficulties from other Norwegians people when they see me on the street together with my girlfriend.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As many of you guys know i have lately thought of converting to Islam, and yes one of the reasons is because of my girlfriend is muslim, and i have been asked by family if i by my own wish want to convert to Islam. There is no presure from them that i have to. Of course this is only one of many questions i must ask my self before accepting Islam in to my life fully.

But my main question is, i read that by saying one line of words out aloud i Will become a muslim. Is this true? I Will say it would be a lot more for me because i must learn the quran by heart and i know that is not easy.

The words i heard i must say is this : La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah
If i say them truthfully, does that mean i am a muslim?

Please only serioues answers, its a serioues matter to me.

If you believe there is only One God, Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger then you are already a Muslim at heart. I would investigate more thoroughly what that means before making a public declaration. I have seen you as a Buddhist and Falun Gong practitioner since joining this forum a couple of years ago. Islam is not such an easy religion to leave in some circles. You should ask yourself would you convert if your girlfriend wasn’t a Muslim.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you believe there is only One God, Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger then you are already a Muslim at heart. I would investigate more thoroughly what that means before making a public declaration. I have seen you as a Buddhist and Falun Gong practitioner since joining this forum a couple of years ago. Islam is not such an easy religion to leave in some circles. You should ask yourself would you convert if your girlfriend wasn’t a Muslim.
You ask good questions @adrian009 as you always do.
The answer i can give right now is that my spiritual search has led me in different directions and maybe it all comes down to my own lack of wisdom. Maybe i have not found what i looking for and it lead me in circle?

So to your question about would i go toward Islam without meeting my Girlfriend. I do believe so yes. But she might have made the prosess go faster then it would have done without her in my life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@adrian009 there is one thing i do notice. And it is that after my interest for Islam grow stronger i noticed my inner peace grow too. Especially the last few days after i had the rant the other day. My mind has become more relaxed and i do not feel any threat from RF members, as i might have done before.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@adrian009 there is one thing i do notice. And it is that after my interest for Islam grow stronger i noticed my inner peace grow too. Especially the last few days after i had the rant the other day. My mind has become more relaxed and i do not feel any threat from RF members, as i might have done before.
Islam does not have it easy on this forum lol.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Ramadan do change from year to year no matter where we are, so i guess if needed one would follow the timezone of a place not covered in darkness all winter. So a muslim in North of Norway may look at timetable for Oslo where winter has light too
IF I were a Muslim THEN I would follow the Medina/Mecca timetable, because there the Teaching was given
God is a good God, and very considerate, not causing ill health by giving wrong timings to the sick
Mekka/Medina to follow Ramadan is even possible for the sick, all can enjoy (only 12h fast)

He gave this timetable in a place where it is perfectly do-able; in Oslo the sick won't manage 19 hour fast

Medina/Mekka has an almost fixed timetable all year around, with day/night time being ca. equal
Sunrise and sunset times in Makkah

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Since apostasy (i.e. change your mind later) might get you killed, I would think twice about that.

Ciao

- viole

This. Better to not be Muslim, and if you want to have a Muslim gf have a Muslim gf, than as Mr Miyagi would say "(Islam) maybe so, sooner or later, get squished." If she asks "Why aren't you converting to Islam?" The relationship is more about you converting than her accepting you. Ditch her. If she legitimately respects your decision, stay with her.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This. Better to not be Muslim, and if you want to have a Muslim gf have a Muslim gf, than as Mr Miyagi would say "(Islam) maybe so, sooner or later, get squished." If she asks "Why aren't you converting to Islam?" The relationship is more about you converting than her accepting you. Ditch her. If she legitimately respects your decision, stay with her.
She has not asked me once about converting, not even sure she know i am thinking about it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
To be fair, learning Scripture is a lifelong practice. Of course I'd argue one needs enough familiarity with it to make an informed decision, but Scripture study is not something you can really just do in a year or so. A lot of people have to take the plunge first then are studying in depth after that. Either that will bring them closer to their faith or the honest ones who can't grasp it will leave.
Yes, but apostasy from Islam is not do good
Where I live Christians don't baptise or confirm without first learning about it all.
I wonder if there is a station on Islam for learning and study? Maybe some Muslims can help with this?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but apostasy from Islam is not do good
Where I live Christians don't baptise or confirm without first learning about it all.
I wonder if there is a station on Islam for learning and study? Maybe some Muslims can help with this?
No, it's not good in certain Muslim areas.

Yeah, they do; I'm just trying to say that this is a somewhat superficial study at best. The real issues and wranglings come later after more in-depth studying. You can't study all the texts in depth and then decide to convert; it would take a lifetime.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
As many of you guys know i have lately thought of converting to Islam, and yes one of the reasons is because of my girlfriend is muslim, and i have been asked by family if i by my own wish want to convert to Islam. There is no presure from them that i have to. Of course this is only one of many questions i must ask my self before accepting Islam in to my life fully.

But my main question is, i read that by saying one line of words out aloud i Will become a muslim. Is this true? I Will say it would be a lot more for me because i must learn the quran by heart and i know that is not easy.

The words i heard i must say is this : La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah

Reciting the Shahada is just a custom. It's a public declaration of your faith infront of witnesses. You should already hold to Islam in your heart before reciting it, if you choose to (it's not required to be a Muslim).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

If you convert, do you plan to believe....
- All that is in the Koran?
- Hadiths?
- The parts of either that are "true" for you, but not the others?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you convert, do you plan to believe....
- All that is in the Koran?
- Hadiths?
- The parts of either that are "true" for you, but not the others?
First of all i must read the quran more then one time to really understand the teaching :) and no it is not going to be a blind faith, because i know i need answers to a thousand questions :p
I am sure there will be parts of both the quran and other teachings i will question, until i understand why it is written as it is.

I already see it as a true teaching. So i dont think that will be a problem.

But as you see, i have more questions then answers right now :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Since apostasy (i.e. change your mind later) might get you killed, I would think twice about that.

Ciao

- viole
My thoughts too. I replied the same, and see now that you already wrote it
I like your new avatar picture