• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grumpuss

Seems like it was only a few years ago that Europeans were concerned about the level of random violence in the United States, visiting Disney World or wherever. Now there've been three (3) targeted attacks in the United Kingdom in the last two weeks. The latest:

London Bridge: Van mows down pedestrians; stabbings at nearby cafe, witnesses say

London Bridge: Van mows down pedestrians, witness says - CNN.com

Why do you think that something like this happened, and what should someone who is interested in visiting the United Kingdom do to keep safe?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Most of the terrorist attacks are taking place in London. The only one that took place in Glasgow failed because a security guard at Glasgow airport volleyed a terrorist in the balls before he could carry out his attack. Apparently he dislocated his ankle doing it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Most of the terrorist attacks are taking place in London. The only one that took place in Glasgow failed because a security guard at Glasgow airport volleyed a terrorist in the balls before he could carry out his attack. Apparently he dislocated his ankle doing it.
Tore a tendon too. Literally broke his foot off in his ***. Greatest thing I ever read.

Supposedly one of the cops there, when asked about the burning terrorists and if they ought to do something, said "Let the ****er burn".

A response I approve of.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is the United Kingdom no longer a safe place to visit?

It is a safe place to visit. As an individual, you are talking only of millions to one chance of being killed/injured by a terrorist. It wouldn't deter me from going. And fear like this is a victory for the terrorist.

Grumpuss

Nice.

Perhaps the terrorists don't view Scotland or Wales as priority and figure that the IRA is doing a satisfactory enough job in Northern Ireland?

My husband is suggesting that terrorist attacks are most likely in the neighborhoods where the terrorists live. In these attacks, I would assume that means Islamic jihadists, but perhaps it's something else.

Grumpuss

Is the United Kingdom no longer a safe place to visit?

It is a safe place to visit. As an individual, you are talking only of millions to one chance of being killed/injured by a terrorist. It wouldn't deter me from going. And fear like this is a victory for the terrorist.
The UK just downgraded the terrorism alert following the Manchester bombing, which killed 22 people and maimed dozens of others- many of them children. I'm going to guess they're not so quick to downgrade the alert this time...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The UK just downgraded the terrorism alert following the Manchester bombing, which killed 22 people and maimed dozens of others- many of them children. I'm going to guess they're not so quick to downgrade the alert this time...
Yeah, I don't see how the alert level would have changed anything anyway.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like it was only a few years ago that Europeans were concerned about the level of random violence in the United States, visiting Disney World or wherever. Now there've been three (3) targeted attacks in the United Kingdom in the last two weeks. The latest:...
I think I remember that! I am the same way, however. For example I'm afraid to travel to most other countries, always thinking the worst will happen to me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People are notoriously bad at estimating risks. I'll bet the odds of getting injured/killed in a terrorist attack in London are much less than getting behind the wheel of a car in a city, for example.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Seems like it was only a few years ago that Europeans were concerned about the level of random violence in the United States, visiting Disney World or wherever. Now there've been three (3) targeted attacks in the United Kingdom in the last two weeks. The latest:

London Bridge: Van mows down pedestrians; stabbings at nearby cafe, witnesses say

Why do you think that something like this happened, and what should someone who is interested in visiting the United Kingdom do to keep safe?
You're still statistically far more likely to be randomly killed walking to the shops in America than you are to be killed in almost any situation in the UK, so my advice would be not to do anything different whatsoever. If you feel genuinely shocked and effected by what's happened in the UK over these past two weeks and are genuinely considering coming to the UK, then maybe the best thing to do would be to visit Manchester and London to pay your respects to the dead and injured and show solidarity. Also, eat at Almost Famous Burger. Them's good burgers.

Last edited:

Grumpuss

You're still statistically far more likely to be randomly killed walking to the shops in America than you are to be killed in almost any situation in the UK, so my advice would be not to do anything different whatsoever. If you feel genuinely shocked and effected by what's happened in the UK over these past two weeks and are genuinely considering coming to the UK, then maybe the best thing to do would be to visit Manchester and London to pay your respects to the dead and injured and show solidarity. Also, eat at Almost Famous Burger. Them's good burgers.
Cool beans. Do you live in the UK?

David1967

Premium Member
Tore a tendon too. Literally broke his foot off in his ***. Greatest thing I ever read.

Supposedly one of the cops there, when asked about the burning terrorists and if they ought to do something, said "Let the ****er burn".

A response I approve of.

Hope the guard was awarded for his excellent footwork and the cop for the appropriately applied one liner.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Nothing is safe.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Nice.

Perhaps the terrorists don't view Scotland or Wales as priority

We're not as we're not home to the political bodies sending British soldiers into foreign lands.

and figure that the IRA is doing a satisfactory enough job in Northern Ireland?

The IRA? They completely disarmed over a decade ago.

My husband is suggesting that terrorist attacks are most likely in the neighborhoods where the terrorists live. In these attacks, I would assume that means Islamic jihadists, but perhaps it's something else.

He's wrong in this context - 3 of the bombers who committed the 7/7/05 attacks in London were from Leeds, the other was from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. Of the Glasgow airport attackers, one was born outside Glasgow in Houston and the other was raised in Saudi Arabia (what a surprise).

The fact is a lot of these terrorists are growing up among Muslims so they'd probably want to commit their attacks away from friends & family to lower the chance of killing or injuring them.

Grumpuss

We're not as we're not home to the political bodies sending British soldiers into foreign lands.
Could be. It also could be that there are a very low number of Muslims in Cardiff and Inverness...

The IRA? They completely disarmed over a decade ago.
IRA activities never quite ended though. Terrorist incidents still occur.

He's wrong in this context - 3 of the bombers who committed the 7/7/05 attacks in London were from Leeds, the other was from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. Of the Glasgow airport attackers, one was born outside Glasgow in Houston and the other was raised in Saudi Arabia (what a surprise).

The fact is a lot of these terrorists are growing up among Muslims so they'd probably want to commit their attacks away from friends & family to lower the chance of killing or injuring them.
And yet, they show little regard for who the victims are, even if they might accidentally be Muslim. The impetus seems to be to kill as many British people as possible, demonstrating more of a fundamental respect for Sharia and jihad than British law.