• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Trend Going to Last?

A Vestigial Mote

Now let's see if @A Vestigial Mote can own up to his error after that high and mighty speech.
Uhh... duh. Yes I can. Didn't even see those posts, to be honest - and I DID look for anything akin to them to try not putting my foot in my mouth. May have been on the page crafting my response when they dropped into the thread, and I didn't check new messages before posting. Oh well.

You were still pretty peeved at that guy... and had no right to be. Which is still just great.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What do you think?
I think there has been gradual progress on this issue in recent decades.

I think right now it is the issue du jour so it is getting the spotlight. There will then be whatever is next.

I hope that in all this outrage people remember good people can make mistakes be it from anger of sexual lusting or whatever weakness and we also have an appropriate amount of forgiveness in us towards the honest repentant.

Who has never done something they would like to be forgiven for in some arena of life.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A number of prominent men who have been sexually abusive towards women have been outed in recent months -- often with largely unprecedented negative consequences to them. I'm wondering whether this is the beginning of a change in common morality towards such behavior and its perpetrators, or if this is just a passing thing -- and all too soon we'll be back to "normal"? What do you think?
The role of women in society has been changing for centuries and to me this is just the latest manifestation of that trend. So my answer is that such behavior will not be tolerated any longer although we might have some back-and-forth before the change becomes permanent.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
@Jeremiahcp Based on your barrage of posts in this thread, and the nature of them, I'm getting the sense that you're not interested in actually discussing or debating these issues?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Don't know. I wish it would happen in Islamic countries, and that abusive Muslim men in those nations would face unprecedented consequences of their abuse. I also wish western feminists would condemn Muslim men for their horrific abuses of women instead of giving them a free pass. True, there is misogyny and abuse of women in the West, and it absolutely needs to stop, but it pales in comparison to the abuse in Muslim nations, which is continually avoided in conversation by western feminists.
It is happening in the middle-east and elsewhere including Hindu India although not as fast as I would like.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not at all.....seems as though you're a typical western feminist who refuses to address the Muslim misogyny issue, thus demonstrating my point further.
I don't think this is a feminism problem.
First, I recall feminists criticising Islam on this.
But more significantly, it seems that it's a liberal reluctance to
criticize a religion, while limiting their criticism to a few extremists.
I don't think Islam is inherently misogynist, but it is inherently
oppressive...from the libertarian perspective.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Not at all.....seems as though you're a typical western feminist who refuses to address the Muslim misogyny issue, thus demonstrating my point further.
I just think we should clean up our own yard before we pretend we have the moral authority to police a foreign nation.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
What I find truly disgusting about all this is the use of political polarization to cast doubts on the claims. I also find it very distributing that even after it comes out people still vote for these a-holes. It says we, as a nation, are more concerned with pushing our political ideologies than the ethical behavior of our leaders.

Jumi

A number of prominent men who have been sexually abusive towards women have been outed in recent months -- often with largely unprecedented negative consequences to them. I'm wondering whether this is the beginning of a change in common morality towards such behavior and its perpetrators, or if this is just a passing thing -- and all too soon we'll be back to "normal"? What do you think?
Don't know. I've seen much of the local population here divided between people born before the 70s and after on how they approach the topic. So this phenomenon is more like things are coming to a head and will change tradition of respect in many western countries.

Rational Agnostic

I just think we should clean up our own yard before we pretend we have the moral authority to police a foreign nation.

We absolutely have the moral authority to say that Muslim men who treat women like property are in the wrong and that all of the horrendous abuses of women's rights found in Islamic countries are wrong. As I suspected, you're just like all the other feminist hypocrites who demonize all white men but give Muslim men a free pass to be as abusive as they want.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
We absolutely have the moral authority to say that Muslim men who treat women like property are in the wrong and that all of the horrendous abuses of women's rights found in Islamic countries are wrong. As I suspected, you're just like all the other feminist hypocrites who demonize all white men but give Muslim men a free pass to be as abusive as they want.
We don't have the moral right to force our laws and way of life on another country, I don't care how upset you get. Stuff like that leads to war and more terrorist activity. We don't own the world, and no matter how much we don't like it, we have to respect the sovereignty of other nations.

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

"We absolutely have the moral authority. . . ."

I hope you can realize this is how wars start, this phrase of yours right here.

Rational Agnostic

"We absolutely have the moral authority. . . ."

I hope you can realize this is how wars start, this phrase of yours right here.

I said we have the moral authority to *state* that Muslim nations are the most misogynistic and abusive in the world. I never said we should force our laws and way of life on other cultures. I do think that raising awareness about it is important, however, because it is the first step toward change.