• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Trend Going to Last?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I said we have the moral authority to *state* that Muslim nations are the most misogynistic and abusive in the world. I never said we should force our laws and way of life on other cultures. I do think that raising awareness about it is important, however, because it is the first step toward change.
And I said "police a foreign nation", that is what you were responding to. Let me know when you make a difference, I am gonna go back to reality.

idea

Question Everything
A number of prominent men who have been sexually abusive towards women have been outed in recent months -- often with largely unprecedented negative consequences to them. I'm wondering whether this is the beginning of a change in common morality towards such behavior and its perpetrators, or if this is just a passing thing -- and all too soon we'll be back to "normal"? What do you think?

If those who have been abusive continue to receive little to no consequences for their behavior, then we will achieve a new low as a society. At least in the past this type of behavior was somewhat hidden, people were ashamed of it. Now that is it no longer hidden, those who react by belittling it, insinuating that it is no big deal, accusing women of over-reacting, or accusing women of bringing abuse upon themselves etc. It has the potential for some segments of society to now see abuse as being publicly acceptable - something that not only can be done, but can be done in the open without the need to hide it anymore.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A number of prominent men who have been sexually abusive towards women have been outed in recent months -- often with largely unprecedented negative consequences to them. I'm wondering whether this is the beginning of a change in common morality towards such behavior and its perpetrators, or if this is just a passing thing -- and all too soon we'll be back to "normal"? What do you think?
A little bit of each, it seems to me.

It is a positive development, and one to last. It is not possible to go back to pretending that there is nothing wrong with non-consensual groping and the like.

However, the current trend is remarkably intense and, unfortunately, chaotic as well. In some respects it is a fad, and it will take a while until the structure for duly dealing with such denouncement is in place. There will be a backlash in a short while, I think, but I don't expect it to be too serious nor too lasting.

As for the lasting and positive changes, since the parts that truly matter are in the mindset and behavior of regular people, it will take a considerably longer time until the meaningful results are well consolidated. We are talking about reconsidering life-long attitudes based on objetification and mutual enabling. It is not too far out to compare them to racism. Lasting change there takes a commitment to certain values and the passage of time to let those settle in as those more dependent on objectification die out.

I like to remind myself in such times that it is not that long ago that air hostesses used to be selected and presented specifically for their sex appeal not too long ago. Such casual objectification was the usual attitude just a few short decades ago. It was not hidden. It was not often excused for. And I can't help but assume that people now in their 70s and older will not consistently have an easy time letting go of it, and certainly can't be expected to have known better back in the day.