• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Hare Krishna Movement a Cult?

Is the Hare Krishna Movement a Cult?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Have they survived the death of their original charismatic leader? That would indicate they have become institutionalized -- which is a hallmark of a religion, as distinct from a cult.
I wonder if that applies to the "sannyasin" of Rajneesh. They are certainly still around, although it is a bit tentative to say they are organized.

Jumi

I got approached by one and given a book (can't remember what it was called) and was told it was a gift. I thanked the guy and he pressed me for money and I refused, he asked for the book back. So I explained to him what the concept of a gift is.
They have done this to me few times since two decades ago. The second time they tried to give me a book although I refused it, I told them I wasn't interested in gifts with a price tag and they got angry. The last time they did this they just gave me the book trying to "save face" from my angry response. So I had one of their books for a while.

Before those events I visited one of their events, because I had a vegetarian girlfriend who wanted to go.They were nice people and the food was good so it was a nice date.

I haven't seen any of them in a long time. They used to be a regular sight selling books, cassettes, later CDs... they are quite harmless to outsiders.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The problem is less defining Hare Krishna and more defining exactly what is Hinduism? It is so variable that some have resorted to just defining it as "a religion that started in the Hindis Valley", and pretty much just leave it at that.

For a westerner, it's very difficult to wrap one's head around it because we're used to having particular institutions with particular names and particular teachings. But that ain't Hinduism. There are many different schools within what we may call "Hinduism", including some non-theistic ones in the past, but even that doesn't capture the scope of its diversity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have noticed that it is fairly easy to dispell their insistence once you let them know that you are aware of what they are selling.

Tell them that you know of their leader Sri Prabuphada (sp?), of the Gita, of their devotion to Krishna, and they will be at least convinced that there is nothing for them to do but accept your choices.

Oh, and be prepared to remind yourself that just because they pushed the book into your hands it does not mean that you have agreed to buy it. Be gentle yet firm in telling them that you do not want to keep it and they will accept it back.

Hmm, and if I dare be so open about that, be aware of whatever attraction you might have on the specific person and remind yourself not to be a chauvinist about that. That helped me aplenty once. My first instinct at the time led me towards a rather unadvisable line of interaction. Having no second intentions is a big help there.

Jumi

Oh, and be prepared to remind yourself that just because they pushed the book into your hands it does not mean that you have agreed to buy it. Be gentle yet firm in telling them that you do not want to keep it and they will accept it back.
In my culture it might be more offensive to do something like this then. Saying you're giving something for free and when it's in the other guys hand you demand money.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Curious what differentiates this from Hinduism. Generally speaking.

Well.....for one, the identification of being Hindu for a Hare Krishna and conversely the identification of Hare Krishnas as Hindus often brings up a little "turmoil." Some are more tolerant of this label than others, shall we say?
Also it kind of depends on what type of Hindu you're talking about. Now, generally speaking, Hindus like the Hare Krishnas are monotheistic with some pan/polytheistic sympathies. Generally. There are honest to god Pan/Polytheist Hindus. The differences might be more akin to nuances or variations though.

But Hare Krishnas often reject the label of religion, whereas many Hindus may view religion as a binding Dharmic action. (I mean this in the sense that many Hindus believe they are obligated to follow the religion of their parents out of respect and duty. To varying degrees of strictness. Some follow the school of their ancestors, others are allowed more freedom.)
Now the ISKCON movement is oddly regarded in Hinduism.
On the one hand, their devotion and dedication to God and meditation is often highly regarded by many Hindus, earning them quite a bit of respect from many circles.
On the other, the emphasis they place on Krishna and their actions as a congregation might earn them some "sidelong glances." It's sort of tentatively viewed as part of the Hindu family, though don't be surprised if you encounter a Hindu who regards them as cult like or as a group who distorts (slightly) the teachings of Krishna.

Chakra

Premium Member
Some of their actions are a bit shady, and ISKCON has been associated with several controversies in the past (some of them are quite dark, I know this because I used to be influenced by ISKCONite Vaishnavism). Despite what many would say, they are not a new religious group---they can trace their origins back to 16th century Bengal, so they have a colorful and influential history.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Some of their actions are a bit shady, and ISKCON has been associated with several controversies in the past (some of them are quite dark, I know this because I used to be influenced by ISKCONite Vaishnavism). Despite what many would say, they are not a new religious group---they can trace their origins back to 16th century Bengal, so they have a colorful and influential history.

Really? Well now I'm curious. What controversies, may I ask?

I'm not terribly familiar with them outside that clip of some random Indian lady on a 70s News show/talkshow saying "tough titties." Literally my introduction to the Aussie branch of ISKCON.

Chakra

Premium Member
Really? Well now I'm curious. What controversies, may I ask?

I'm not terribly familiar with them outside that clip of some random Indian lady on a 70s News show/talkshow saying "tough titties." Literally my introduction to the Aussie branch of ISKCON.
I don't want to extend this conversation too much, but demons in a Guru's semblance were accused of beating women, sexually harassing minors, and using money from donations etc for their own personal benefits. This was during the 1970s onwards, but has largely been forgotten now. There are more sinister "theories" that range from Srila Prabhupada being poisoned to the assassinations of devotees who tried to point out the corruption in the GBC. This is just speculation at this point, but when I first heard of it I was quite shocked. Let us not continue this discussion here, if you know what I mean.

The general devotees, however, are the nicest people around, and the GBC seems to have enlightened, worthy leaders now. But the tendency for devotees to blindly accept their "Gurus" is a bit scary...

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't want to extend this conversation too much, but demons in a Guru's semblance were accused of beating women, sexually harassing minors, and using money from donations etc for their own personal benefits. This was during the 1970s onwards, but has largely been forgotten now. There are more sinister "theories" that range from Srila Prabhupada being poisoned to the assassinations of devotees who tried to point out the corruption in the GBC. This is just speculation at this point, but when I first heard of it I was quite shocked. Let us not continue this discussion here, if you know what I mean.

The general devotees, however, are the nicest people around, and the GBC seems to have enlightened, worthy leaders now. But the tendency for devotees to blindly accept their "Gurus" is a bit scary...

Fair enough. But seriously. Wow.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah the Hare Krishna movement. I voted no, as they are Hindus (Gaudiyas) who worship Krishna. Why they don't call themselves Hindus is odd to me. Not a cult, it's just another branch of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, one of the four branches of Vaishnavism (I'm a Sri Vaishnava) so its not a cult. Their controversies and odd ball devotees are not a factor what constitutes as a cult. I have a love/hate relationship with them, but that doesn't mean i won't point out truths.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There simply is no such thing as a "cult" in Hinduism as it puts tremendous emphasis on individual discernment. One can be a devout Hindu and never set foot in a Temple during their entire lifetime.

BTW, I've been in the Hare Krishna Temple in Detroit quite a few times-- nice people and good food.:)
We once dined at a Hare Krishna restaurant in DC.
While there, a little kid ran in to yell....
"This is a stinky @ss place!"
Then he ran out, looking quite pleased with himself.

Satyamavejayanti

Is it? Why, why not?

Namaste,

Taking the simplest of definitions of cult, would render all religions as a cult. ISKCON is a cult in that way, with their devotion to Krishna only, but not a cult that promotes hatred or intolerance towards others (at least in the core teachings). I have never had a ISKCON devotee harass me, they have organised many Hindu festivals in Sydney, always friendly and welcoming. Good Food, colorful people (literally there is a mix of many ethnicity in the group), I find ISKCON and Advaita are the most popular Hindu ideas visible in non Indian societies. I think outside of India, many people come into contact with Hinduism through movements like ISKCON.

I dont know why exactly they dont refer to them self as "Hindu", but probably similar reason as the Arya Samaj who consider the word "Hinduism", as not a specific or authentic description of their beliefs.

I find their idea of feeding all peoples from their temples and ashrams for free vary Dharmic indeed, and they do their little bit for charities. Plus their teaching focus on Bhakti, which naturally makes a person humble (at least that is the idea).

So i personally would not consider them a cult, maybe a bit too much exclusive but not cultist.

Dhanyavad

cult
kʌlt/
noun
noun: cult; plural noun: cults
  1. 1.
    a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
    "the cult of St Olaf"
    • a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
      "a network of Satan-worshipping cults"
      synonyms: sect, religious group, denomination, religious order, church, faith,faith community, belief, persuasion, affiliation, movement; More

• a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular thing.
      "the cult of the pursuit of money as an end in itself"
      synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for; More
  2. 2.
    a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society.
    "the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"
    synonyms: craze, fashion, fad, vogue;
    informalthing
    "the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"

metis

We once dined at a Hare Krishna restaurant in DC.
While there, a little kid ran in to yell....
"This is a stinky @ss place!"
Then he ran out, looking quite pleased with himself.
But I love "stinky @ss" Indian food-- it's my favorite cuisine-- and it contains no bacon that'll rot your tubes!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
th

metis

I love bacon!!!!

Oh my, Revoltingest has converted you! Disgusting!

By the powers on high, I now excommunicate you from the Church of Healthy Food. Enjoy your nitrites!

Seriously, I was at our local Costco about two weeks ago and they had a label on one brand of bacon that says it was "uncured", or something like that, but since I don't buy that stuff, I didn't bother to read what makes it different. You might check it out.