• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Hare Krishna Movement a Cult?

Is the Hare Krishna Movement a Cult?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I got approached by one and given a book (can't remember what it was called) and was told it was a gift. I thanked the guy but when he pressed me for money and I refused, he asked for the book back. So I explained to him what the concept of a gift is.

Weirdo.

As to the actual question: I don't know. Why isn't that an option?! :mad:

mutters angrily about bad service

Last edited:

Covellite

The Hare Krishna Movement is a religious organization. It is officially founded in midd60's in the U.S. The Hare Krishna always use to have some problems within organization itself and has also been scrutinized by some anti-cult movements. They are good material for anti-cult movement, because they are just "odd" to many people and they are promoting themselves in an "authentic" way.
It is not a cult, because in simple words cult is a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous. So, not a cult - innocent until proven guilty.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
No one can say exactly, but some say about 1 million.
A lot.

Not sure what constitutes a Cult for the purposes of this thread, so I will abstain.

They are certainly insistent yet benign, despite some somewhat questionable proselitist tactics.

Still way ahead of certain other faiths that shall remain unnamed.
Then they may be on the cusp of cult/religion.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand that some folks define 'cult' slightly different from others. In this thread, how one determines a cult is up to him as long as he can defend it

Covellite

Have they survived the death of their original charismatic leader? That would indicate they have become institutionalized -- which is a hallmark of a religion, as distinct from a cult.
Their leader died in late 70's, the are still official religious organization (with many problems), but - religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There simply is no such thing as a "cult" in Hinduism as it puts tremendous emphasis on individual discernment. One can be a devout Hindu and never set foot in a Temple during their entire lifetime.

BTW, I've been in the Hare Krishna Temple in Detroit quite a few times-- nice people and good food.:)