• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is S-a-n-t-a a tool of S-a-t-a-n?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Don't you know that anything that is spelled with the same letters is the same? That's why GOD is the same thing as my DOG. And anything LIVE is EVIL

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Years ago, I went to incredible lengths to convince my daughter that Santa was real- he knew if you were bad or good, he knew when you were sleeping, was virtually omni-present and could do many "magical" things, which defied logic.

I remember the look in her eyes when she found out it was all a sham. Her parents, the ones she trusted most in her life, had duped her.

Years later, I tried to tell her about God and I saw the same look in her eyes. Every Christmas, I remember this. It is my largest regret in life.

Each year, I am tempted, in lieu of Xmas decorations, to nail a Santa to a crucifix in my front yard. I'd be on every newscast in the country. People everywhere would be outraged. There would be death-threats.

Consider the irony.

Well, that's bad on you then.

I never taught my children that Santa Claus was real. I did teach them that Saint Nicholas was a real person and that he's the start of all the cutesy Santa STORIES that we now enjoy.

My parents never taught me that Santa was real either.

No baggage. It's all good. We enjoy Advent, Christmas, Midnight Christmas eve services, Santa cookies, and Yuletide.

Good times, good times!

blackout

Violet.
Well, that's bad on you then.

I never taught my children that Santa Claus was real. I did teach them that Saint Nicholas was a real person and that he's the start of all the cutesy Santa STORIES that we now enjoy.

My parents never taught me that Santa was real either.

No baggage. It's all good. We enjoy Advent, Christmas, Midnight Christmas eve services, Santa cookies, and Yuletide.

Good times, good times!

Why was it epso's bad?
Do you think it's bad for christians to play the "santa claus" game with their children?

Just wondering.

blackout

Violet.
I see your point, but in addition to offending people via the Jesus correlation, it would also offend those who would have to deal with the notion that they are upset by the "death" of a fictional character.

The "why" of that hits some deep strings.

You can nail him to a cross
but I promise you
he won't die.

Kathryn

Why was it epso's bad?
Do you think it's bad for christians to play the "santa claus" game with their children?

Just wondering.

I'm saying if it caused issues with the kids, it's on him. He's the parent - sounds like he thinks he made a mistake and feels badly about it. If the OP is even true - it sounds pretty pre packaged to me, but what do I know?

Personally, I don't favor lying to kids and stringing them along, so I didn't do that with my kids regarding Santa Claus. But I don't waste my time judging others about it. To each his own. I doubt that any child in any family that doesn't go ape **** crazy on the Santa thing, will be indelibly scarred by the Santa story.

Kathryn

My kids never confused Saint Nicholas stories with the stories in the bible. I never confused them as a child either. It's all in how you present both (or neither, or one or the other -whatever) to your kids.

blackout

Violet.
I'm saying if it caused issues with the kids, it's on him. He's the parent - sounds like he thinks he made a mistake and feels badly about it. If the OP is even true - it sounds pretty pre packaged to me, but what do I know?

Personally, I don't favor lying to kids and stringing them along, so I didn't do that with my kids regarding Santa Claus. But I don't waste my time judging others about it. To each his own. I doubt that any child in any family that doesn't go ape **** crazy on the Santa thing, will be indelibly scarred by the Santa story.

Actually, thinking about it more, it doesn't really sound like the child's issue.
It sounds like the parent's.

And as our own issues are ALWAYS on us,
I suppose you're right.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I totally believed in Santa and when I figured it out, my parents explained that Santa was the spirit of Christmas. I knew the St. Nicholas story and all was good. I didn't lose faith because of Santa.

I'm rather pro-kids believing in Santa myself. And I still "believe" today. Went on a Christmas train ride and Santa visited the train and I totally backed him up when he told an 8 year old that if her brother wasn't nice to her he'd get underwear for Christmas. As we got off the train I said to her, "It's true, I was mean to my little sister and all I got for Christmas one year was underwear too." She was awed over the whole thing.

Yeah its an act, but it is a harmless one imo.

blackout

Violet.
Years ago, I went to incredible lengths to convince my daughter that Santa was real- he knew if you were bad or good, he knew when you were sleeping, was virtually omni-present and could do many "magical" things, which defied logic.

I remember the look in her eyes when she found out it was all a sham. Her parents, the ones she trusted most in her life, had duped her.

Years later, I tried to tell her about God and I saw the same look in her eyes. Every Christmas, I remember this. It is my largest regret in life.

Each year, I am tempted, in lieu of Xmas decorations, to nail a Santa to a crucifix in my front yard. I'd be on every newscast in the country. People everywhere would be outraged. There would be death-threats.

Consider the irony.

If you market them,
I'll buy one.

I can't tell you why
but I find the notion most appealing.
(makes me giggle)

Kathryn

Yep, it's all in how you "position" it in context with the holiday and life's lessons in general.

I think the OP is highly suspect.

blackout

Violet.
I totally believed in Santa and when I figured it out, my parents explained that Santa was the spirit of Christmas. I knew the St. Nicholas story and all was good. I didn't lose faith because of Santa.

I'm rather pro-kids believing in Santa myself. And I still "believe" today. Went on a Christmas train ride and Santa visited the train and I totally backed him up when he told an 8 year old that if her brother wasn't nice to her he'd get underwear for Christmas. As we got off the train I said to her, "It's true, I was mean to my little sister and all I got for Christmas one year was underwear too." She was awed over the whole thing.

Yeah its an act, but it is a harmless one imo.

8 year olds should realize that the things santa is said to do
are impossible, don't you think?

Is it right to dupe a child that old
in such a huge way?

It's like encouraging them not to think.
Not to reason.
Not to understand what is and isn't physically possible
in the world around them.

I dunno. I don't personally like it.

I wouldn't do it to my child.

And certainly not beyond the age of 4.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Consider the irony.

Consider how did Jesus apostles celebrate Christmas ?
After all 'Christmas' was an already existing festival in Jesus day called the Saturnalia.

Who is the father of the lie according to John [8v44] but none other than Satan.
Father of the lie because Satan told the first lie as recorded at Gen. 3v4.

That old pagan festival was later just dressed up with Christian names and labels and 'adopted' by the fallen-away church. [Acts 20vs29,30]
Thus there is a fusion of 'biblical and non-biblical' mixed together as if it was Scriptural.

Why not teach her that Christmas is just a man-made tradition taught as being Scriptural, and you like most others have been taught to go along with it as if it was the true account or harmless lies ?

That does not make God or Scripture wrong, it just makes people wrong.

How many people who openly or publicly decorate and celebrate Christmas would compromise their belief if Christmas was outlawed or banned meaning fines or jail time ?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl

8 year olds should realize that the things santa is said to do
are impossible, don't you think?

Is it right to dupe a child that old
in such a huge way?

It's like encouraging them not to think.
Not to reason.
Not to understand what is and isn't physically possible
in the world around them.

I dunno. I don't personally like it.

I wouldn't do it to my child.

And certainly not beyond the age of 4.
She still believed in magic. And I have a real fondness for belief in magic. One of my favorite quotes is "Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. " Kids believe so easily and I think that sense of wonder is what makes them explore their world and that is what I want to encourage.
I'm an avid fantasy and sf reader, and I'm also an incredibly rational thinker outside of my day dreams of casting a ring into the fiery pits of Mount Doom or fighting off a kelpie in the streets of San Fransisco.
I don't connect belief in Santa with belief in religion, nor imagining fairies - the cute kind or the more .... dangerous kind... in the woods with attendance to church.

St Giordano Bruno

How much more appropriate that would be for Satan rather than Santa to descend down the chimney into the blazing flames of roaring fire place which would be not be such an issue here in Australia where it is summer, but when it was traditionally winter and snowing in earlier times when people so much depended on firewood for warmth the chimney should be the very last place Santa should be thinking of. So when ever jolly old Santa sees smoke billowing out a chimney he would just turn to Satan and say "it's your turn Satan, you are used to this"

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I told my daughter that her father and I were Santa Claus. It didn't upset her or anything. And Santa is based on St. Nicholas- who was real once. My son figured out Santa wasn't really some guy in a sleigh with flying reindeer on his own, when he was 4.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I appreciate the humor....but it doesn't wash away the look in my daughters' eyes.

when i was a kid and i finally came to realise that santa wanst real, i came to hate christmas itself (and i was angry with my mum for a while too) thats why it was no problem for me giving up the tradition when i became a JW... what a relief it was to find a group of people who did not observe the christmas lie.