• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion something you can develop on your own?

Metalic Wings

And if so, how do you know that you are right?
Does being right even matter?

I grew up in the kind of Christian household where you went to church on the holidays (which didn't help me warm up to it, with all the crowded pews).

I know I believe in a greater being, most likely a God, but beyond that I'm stumped. How does one even go about creating their own religion? I get the feeling that's something I might not even want to toy with.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

What is right? Is it what is right for you, or what is right for everyone?

Depends on who you talk to. Do you think it matters?

I know I believe in a greater being, most likely a God, but beyond that I'm stumped. How does one even go about creating their own religion? I get the feeling that's something I might not even want to toy with.

Read everything and anything you can about different religions that interest you. See what, if anything, already fits you...

Metalic Wings

Read everything and anything you can about different religions that interest you. See what, if anything, already fits you...

Okay! Thank you very much. The hard part will be finding a rather new thread that I can actually follow.

That's why I came here in the first place, though. ;D

Morse

To Extinguish
Good man! Yes, you can develop your own religion.

I encourage you to do exactly as Gentoo advises you and search for pieces that fit your own puzzle. Different things feel right to different people, it is up to you entirely.

I advise you to start your search at your roots. Take what feels right about your religion (The Monotheistic Deity concept) and then look at what feels odd, out of place, or just wrong. Search for answers to why those are the way they are, and what other religions have to say about those problems. It requires some introspection and external searching, but I believe that it is entirely worth it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I grew up in the kind of Christian household where you went to church on the holidays (which didn't help me warm up to it, with all the crowded pews).

Nothing wrong at all with exploring on your own. Discover things by yourself and not just by on what other people say. In other words, be your own religion. :O)

Metalic Wings

Good man! Yes, you can develop your own religion.

I encourage you to do exactly as Gentoo advises you and search for pieces that fit your own puzzle. Different things feel right to different people, it is up to you entirely.

I advise you to start your search at your roots. Take what feels right about your religion (The Monotheistic Deity concept) and then look at what feels odd, out of place, or just wrong. Search for answers to why those are the way they are, and what other religions have to say about those problems. It requires some introspection and external searching, but I believe that it is entirely worth it.

Thank you so much. That's what I've really kind of been wondering about. Having been in a semi-christian home, the idea of doing my own searching always seems a bit taboo.

Well, I guess it's high time I started reading, although any further comments are welcome.

blackout

Violet.
Nothing wrong at all with exploring on your own. Discover things by yourself and not just by on what other people say. In other words, be your own religion. :O)

My approach to life... IS my "religion".

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

What I find amusing is that everyone IS creating their own religion, even if they think they are following a particular creed. Every Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jew etc... creates their religion anew based on the peculiarities of their understanding. Personally, I have little use for religion as I'm happy just being me.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Why develop a religion? Why not develop a lifestyle? A perspective? An outlook on reality? Why take what you believe and integrate it into every living moment of your day?

Metalic Wings

Why develop a religion? Why not develop a lifestyle? A perspective? An outlook on reality? Why take what you believe and integrate it into every living moment of your day?

Then my question is: are they really that different? Doesn't being a very strongly religious person mean that you have a very strongly religious lifestyle?

I know just because you have a "religion" doesn't mean you're religious or even truly mirror that lifestyle. That's the kind of household I grew up with.

It just seems to me that religion seems to be the best way to stick to the lifestyle you choose--like an outline, almost, that can help keep you on the right track.

Just_me_Mike

Approaching life is interesting when you keep the end in mind first.

When you think about your death and those that will be around your grave, or however you choose to be disposed of, what will everyone be saying about you? What do you want them to be saying about you? When you come up with those answers, you start to find a rough path to shoot for.

Doing that day after day is difficult.

As for creating your own religion, I'd suggest that maybe there are plenty to choose from already. You already are who you are, so just be cool with that. Study existing religions, and see what speaks to you. Actually they will all speak to you, but deciding which ones touches your heart is what matters.

Good Luck...

Metalic Wings

As for creating your own religion, I'd suggest that maybe there are plenty to choose from already. You already are who you are, so just be cool with that. Study existing religions, and see what speaks to you. Actually they will all speak to you, but deciding which ones touches your heart is what matters.

I'm starting to get that feeling, myself. Just here on the forums there are so many different religions and variations.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Then my question is: are they really that different? Doesn't being a very strongly religious person mean that you have a very strongly religious lifestyle?

I know just because you have a "religion" doesn't mean you're religious or even truly mirror that lifestyle. That's the kind of household I grew up with.

It just seems to me that religion seems to be the best way to stick to the lifestyle you choose--like an outline, almost, that can help keep you on the right track.

You're right. They're not all that different. But a lot of people, when seeking to design a religion, seek to make it so that there's not much they have to do. I guess it's a matter of how you look at things.

Although I do agree, religion is a structure that can help you stay true to your chosen way of living.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It would seem to be...
My thought on faith and religion over the past few years have led me To make a few posts about them in this forum.
Imagine my surprise when I find there is a denomination that almost exactly matches my own beliefs.
More surprising still was that in th 17th century till today my Family in Ireland who I have never met are members of this very same small community of churches.

Is it Right/True?

You can not doubt and have faith at the same time.