• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is premarital sex really a sin?

SFT26

Is premarital sex really a sin? The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. I personally do not believe that premarital sex is a sin. What do you believe?
Can you cite biblical reference to back up why you believe that premarital sex is not a sin? Just saying you do not believe it is a sin will convince us.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I see you pulled the definition of fornication from the dictionary....which is great but we're not talking about the dictionary.

Pull the definition of fornication from the Bible please.
If you were to actually read the definition given, you will see that it does show the Bible verses where it gets three of the four.
see:
2. Adultery. Mat 5.

3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.

4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
If you were to actually read the definition given, you will see that it does show the Bible verses where it gets three of the four.

see:
2. Adultery. Mat 5.​

3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.​

4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19
I read it just fine. I think you're missing my point.

It's that fourth one that is absent from the Bible. How can something be a sin according to the Bible if it has no mention?

McBell

I read it just fine. I think you're missing my point.

It's that fourth one that is absent from the Bible. How can something be a sin according to the Bible if it has no mention?
And your point is what exactly?
That I presented the whole entry for the definition.
If you would choose to ignore the ones not supported with scripture, be my guest.
But you asked for Biblical definitions and I presented them.

If they are not to your liking, I know not what to tell you.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
And your point is what exactly?
That I presented the whole entry for the definition.
If you would choose to ignore the ones not supported with scripture, be my guest.
But you asked for Biblical definitions and I presented them.

If they are not to your liking, I know not what to tell you.

I am talking about premarital sex. Are you?

Pre marital sex=sin. Where is that exactly in those passages?

McBell

I am talking about premarital sex. Are you?

Pre marital sex=sin. Where is that exactly in those passages?
*sigh*

You asked:
I'd like to see someone point out where fornication is defined in any version . All I'm saying is that the word does not appear in the NIV, which was composed of scholars from all around the world, and not just King James' scholars. ;) I don't believe any version describes what constitutes fornication, despite having the word present.post #21
I replied:
Websters 1828 Dictionary
Fornication
n. [L. fornicatio.]
  • 1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.

2. Adultery. Mat 5.

3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.

4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshiping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
*sigh*

You asked:
I'd like to see someone point out where fornication is defined in any version . All I'm saying is that the word does not appear in the NIV, which was composed of scholars from all around the world, and not just King James' scholars. ;) I don't believe any version describes what constitutes fornication, despite having the word present.post #21

I replied:
Websters 1828 Dictionary

Fornication

n. [L. fornicatio.]
  • 1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.
  • 2. Adultery. Mat 5.​
    3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.​
    4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshiping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.​

Thanks, now I understand.

When talking about fornication in this thread about premarital sex, I assume we are talking strictly about premarital sex, since that is the primary definition of the word.

When I said "I don't believe any version describes what constitutes fornication, despite having the word present" I was refering to premarital sex where the the word "fornication" is present, since that is the topic. ;)

dance-above

Is premarital sex really a sin? The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. I personally do not believe that premarital sex is a sin. What do you believe?

Is 2+2=5 This is an error. Sin basicly means error.
For instance God said let the two become one flesh and let not man seperate what God has put together. The error would be seperation. If you stayed with the person even though you were not legally married I dont think there would be sin. But even if you have sinned, confess. Dont dwell on right and wrong to much for this is not what saves you. But seek his kingdom and all things will be added to you.:angel2:

JamBar85

Master Designer

I agree with you. I don't think it is a sin.
I think that if a couple are in a healthy relationship and want to have sex with each other before they get married then thats fine. Whos to say that a couple in a healthy relationship would even want to get married.
If there are couples out there who believe it to be a sin and should wait until they get married, then that's fine too.
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Depends on what the individual or couple want.

Moey

This is how I look at it...

As an athiest I believe it is fine.

But for those of you that believe in a god, why would it not want you to enjoy all things enjoyable? If God made it than it must be ok right? Otherwise procreation would not be as enjoyable.

RUone2

I recall reading in scripture some one saying that "it is better to spill your seed in the belly of a whore then it is to spill it upon the ground" since they had words for the womb, but used Belly, I can only think of one way "seed" would enter the belly. I believe it to mean that love is to be shared between two people, no mention of marriage,

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I don't "believe" in the concept of "sin".

I "believe" in concepts of morality...and personal accountability for the choices one makes in uniquely controllable conditions.

I don't "believe" that pre-marital sex is a "sin", but it does bear individual accountability and responsibility and accountability for whatever consequences may arise from any mutually consensual choices made. That said, adolescents do NOT retain the requisite levels of maturity, perspective, or value judgment to be held either entirely accountable or responsible for inevitably lacking discretions or discernments.

If an unmarried sixty-eight year old man, and an unmarried sixty-five year old woman want to enjoy "pre-marital sex" (beyond any overtly expressed interests towards any prospective marriage), does anyone really object to that (beyond the icky kinda picture that pairing paints)?

[And, just for fun...who lives with whom in the afterlife, if men/women have remarried multiple times upon the death of spouses? Are custodial rights of children deliberated/enforced in an "afterlife"? Where (or with whom) are adopted kids appointed to reside after their mortal existence has expired? Just wondering...]

I would but note that Holly (the instigator of this thread) has remained ominously silent and disengaged from the conversation that has ensued henceforth...

Odd that...

inkaboutit4u

***staff edit***

Sex before Marriage is NOT a sin from the Bible.

Check out my web pages for more details.

They have the WRONG definition for the word “fornication”, They say it mean single sex or sex before marriage to a “one man, one women” marriage. This is clearly the WRONG definition.

Man made dictionaries only reflex how people are using or misusing the word at that time. ST. Paul definition the word “fornication” in 1 Cor 10:8 and the definition is found in Number 25: 1-9.

This is clearly the correction definition of the word “fornication” which is the misusing your sexual freedom (that God gave all people all creation, at creation to have many sex partners over a life time,) was misused by joining in the worship of a pagan fertility god, one of Baals many pagan gods.

Joining in the Worshiping a pagan fertility god is NOT equal to sex outside marriage. There is a major big different. This was a major problem in all the Bible days, both OT and NT.

Godly men had lot of God given sexual freedom in all the Bible and now, but NOT to join in with the pagan fertility god worship which was a great temptation in all the Bible. Read 1 Cor 10:8, Nu 25:1-9, Nu 31

On my web pages i go over 100% Bible verses that use the word "fornication" and show each time the context and meaning is the joining in the pagan worship of the fertility god. This is very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that if your Christianity is based strictly upon reading the Bible only, then any sex outside of marriage is going to be practically banned. This is particularly true if you get your definition of marriage and divorce just from the NT. If you include historical references and cultural knowledge along with a study of the entire Bible not just the NT, then you come up with a more liberal view. You still are expected to be responsible and compassionate, however; and gluttony or sexual excesses would be out of the question. Certain things like marrying your own mother, well they would probably still be considered un-biblical. Having sex when unmarried wouldn't be a big deal, however there would still be an impetus to get married in most situations. Marriage is something that is expected to maximise childhood experiences and education, so for Christians even liberal ones it is strongly encouraged. A church that didn't believe in marriage would not just be liberal but something new altogether.

If you aren't talking about Christianity, then you are not talking about the NT at all. For Jews Marriage then is compulsory. Jews probably have to get married if possible, and the rules change about whom they may sleep with. For non Jews who are trying to follow the Bible without the NT it is difficult to determine if there are any restrictions at all or any guidance peculiar to them. A non Jew would not be permitted to hate their sexual partners. From there you'd have to interpolate most of the rules for yourself.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Of course it is.
Matthew 19:4-6, 8-9 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ [5] and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ ? [6] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” [8] Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. [9] I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Sex before marriage is a gross deviation from God's original plan, therefore immoral, and a sin.

1 Timothy 5:1-2 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, [2] older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

Matthew 1:18-19 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about : His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. [19] Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course it is.
Matthew 19:4-6, 8-9 NIV
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ [5] and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ ? [6] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” [8] Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. [9] I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Sex before marriage is a gross deviation from God's plan, therefore immoral, and a sin.

1 Timothy 5:1-2 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, [2] older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

Your conclusion does not seem to follow from your premisses. Would you like to try again?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Your conclusion does not seem to follow from your premisses. Would you like to try again?
My conclusion does follow my premise, that sex before marriage is a gross deviation from God's original plan, and therefore a sin. The Scriptures offered show that any level of impurity was strictly forbidden all throughout the New Testament. Mary's disgrace would have carried over from Old Testament law.

Last edited: