• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is premarital sex really a sin?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'd like to see someone point out where fornication is defined in any version. All I'm saying is that the word does not appear in the NIV, which was composed of scholars from all around the world, and not just King James' scholars. ;) I don't believe any version describes what constitutes fornication, despite having the word present.

Websters 1828 Dictionary
Fornication

n. [L. fornicatio.]
  • 1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.

2. Adultery. Mat 5.

3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.

4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.

Ronald

If there is NO God, then it is just a manmade rule.
If there is a God, you who sin and fail to accknowledge him and his rules, you are in the book of the wicked, in this case the beer commercial applies.
"You only go around once, so grab all the gusto you can get!"

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Maybe I missed it but no one seems to have addressed the other part of the OP on WHY premarital sex would be a sin.

McBell

Maybe I missed it but no one seems to have addressed the other part of the OP on WHY premarital sex would be a sin.
To sin is to go against the wishes (disobey) your deity.
So there need not be any other reason for something to be a sin than "God said so."

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
To sin is to go against the wishes (disobey) your deity.
So there need not be any other reason for something to be a sin than "God said so."

K thanks, I figured it was something like that. but that still leaves the questions of DID god "say so"? And if he Did "say so" Why would he "say so"? Unless God has no need to reason what he does. But then is it possible to do something for "no reason whatsoever" or would God himself be reason enough for himself(if that makes any sense)

McBell

K thanks, I figured it was something like that. but that still leaves the questions of DID god "say so"? And if he Did "say so" Why would he "say so"? Unless God has no need to reason what he does. But then is it possible to do something for "no reason whatsoever" or would God himself be reason enough for himself(if that makes any sense)
I do not know if God said no to premarital sex.
But as to the why... Every time I bring up the why question, I get told that it is not my place to question god or some such nonsense.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Is premarital sex really a sin? The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. I personally do not believe that premarital sex is a sin. What do you believe?

Of course not, that's another nonsense of the Patriarchy. The Bible makes it clear that a man shouldn't marry second hand goods.

I say, take what pleasure where you can with whomever you find sexually exciting, if it's reciprocal. Good sex is bliss.

Melissa G

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Of course not, that's another nonsense of the Patriarchy. The Bible makes it clear that a man shouldn't marry second hand goods.

I say, take what pleasure where you can with whomever you find sexually exciting, if it's reciprocal. Good sex is bliss.

Melissa G

Frubals Melissa G.

It's real simple. Sin depends on your beliefs. One persons sins is another persons pleasures.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Roland said:
If there is NO God, then it is just a manmade rule.
If there is a God, you who sin and fail to accknowledge him and his rules, you are in the book of the wicked, in this case the beer commercial applies.
"You only go around once, so grab all the gusto you can get!"

"Those humans are never playing the way I want them too." *throws temper tantrum*

logician

"Is premarital sex really a sin? "

I need to check the 1000 page Catholic manual of major and minor sins first.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
logician said:
"Is premarital sex really a sin? "

I need to check the 1000 page Catholic manual of major and minor sins first.

I [Lucifer] invented rock and roll. You wouldn't believe the things I've invented. Anal sex, obviously. Smoking. Astrology. Money... Let's save time: everything in the world that distracts you from thinking about God. Which... pretty much... is everything in the world, isn't it? Gosh.

CincyJim

NO! EXCEPT in the minds of the sex obsessed.

Nowhere
in "God's" rules is the word "sin" mentioned nor any forbidding of sex prior to mating permanently.

NO, the bible is NOT Gods rules as Her rules are contained in Her 10 Commandments (v2.0).

Sex is a natural thing starting about 13-14 or so. To forbid sex at any age/condition is un-natural. THE only concern ought to be the outcome of sex. If there is a potential birth then the couple MUST make sure they treat their child properly.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
No it is not, end of. Sin is finding out that that your wife is a freak and you are not... or visa versa. Imagine having to go through life finding out that the only way your wife will have intercorse is with you on top and with her eyes closed....... Maybe you have a good imagination. But a year or 2 down the road, you are wanting to have something more freaky. Like (Christians, read no further) Oral sex.:eek: Or even anal. :eek::shrug:
Soooooo You then find it elsewere to satisy your needs. And if you had only known before hand, you never would have married a woman that pi$$ed ice cubes. Explore. Know God. (As in "OH MY GOD!!! HARDER!!! DEEPER!!!)
Sin is being married to someone that is not on your same playing field. Need I say more?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Is premarital sex really a sin? The Bible condemns sexual immorality but not premarital sex. I personally do not believe that premarital sex is a sin. What do you believe?

I don't "believe" in the concept of "sin".

I "believe" in concepts of morality...and personal accountability for the choices one makes in uniquely controllable conditions.

I don't "believe" that pre-marital sex is a "sin", but it does bear individual accountability and responsibility and accountability for whatever consequences may arise from any mutually consensual choices made. That said, adolescents do NOT retain the requisite levels of maturity, perspective, or value judgment to be held either entirely accountable or responsible for inevitably lacking discretions or discernments.

If an unmarried sixty-eight year old man, and an unmarried sixty-five year old woman want to enjoy "pre-marital sex" (beyond any overtly expressed interests towards any prospective marriage), does anyone really object to that (beyond the icky kinda picture that pairing paints)?

[And, just for fun...who lives with whom in the afterlife, if men/women have remarried multiple times upon the death of spouses? Are custodial rights of children deliberated/enforced in an "afterlife"? Where (or with whom) are adopted kids appointed to reside after their mortal existence has expired? Just wondering...]

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Websters 1828 Dictionary
Fornication
n. [L. fornicatio.]
  • 1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.

2. Adultery. Mat 5.

3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.

4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.

I see you pulled the definition of fornication from the dictionary....which is great but we're not talking about the dictionary.

Pull the definition of fornication from the Bible please.