• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus literally the Son of God for you?

The Anointed

Many Christians agree that Jesus is the Son of God, but what exactly do they understand by it, because the term "Son of God" has two meanings, one can understand it literally or one can understand it only as a title.

Now if someone interprets this term literally, then he would have to believe that Jesus is God himself. One with God by nature. For just as the Son of man is man, so also the Son of God is God.
But if someone interprets this term only as a title, then it means for this person that he does not believe that Jesus is God. So maybe the person believes that Jesus is only an angel or a human being.

In the Bible the angels in heaven are called all the sons of God, (Genesis 6:2) but this term is used for them only as a title. For Jesus, however, this term is used literally; as the begotten Son. This is made clear in Hebrews 1:5.
KJV
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

But what do you understand under when Jesus is said to be the Son of God? Is he for you literally the Son of God or not?
I myself believe that Jesus is literally the Son of God. He was begotten by God. And what was begotten was his word. God begat his own Word/Speech.

Enoch was carried to the very throne of the MOST HIGH in the creation and anointed as his successor, and translated in order that he should never see death. After being in the valley of man, (The spiritual dimension that co-exists within our three dimensional world) for three days (Three thousand years) he was reborn on earth by human parents, as the man Jesus.

Do I believe that Jesus is God the creator of the boundless and eternal Cosmos? No I do not ! But I do believe that he sits in the throne of our Father, (See Revelation 3: 21.) as the heir and successor to throne of the MOST HIGH within the creation, from where he invites all, who like himself are able to win the victory over (Death) the ruler of this world, to sit beside in the heavenly throne of our Father, from where they shall rule all creation, and as Paul says, Even the angels will bow at their feet.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Many Christians agree that Jesus is the Son of God, but what exactly do they understand by it, because the term "Son of God" has two meanings, one can understand it literally or one can understand it only as a title.

Now if someone interprets this term literally, then he would have to believe that Jesus is God himself. One with God by nature. For just as the Son of man is man, so also the Son of God is God.
But if someone interprets this term only as a title, then it means for this person that he does not believe that Jesus is God. So maybe the person believes that Jesus is only an angel or a human being.

In the Bible the angels in heaven are called all the sons of God, (Genesis 6:2) but this term is used for them only as a title. For Jesus, however, this term is used literally; as the begotten Son. This is made clear in Hebrews 1:5.
KJV
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

But what do you understand under when Jesus is said to be the Son of God? Is he for you literally the Son of God or not?
I myself believe that Jesus is literally the Son of God. He was begotten by God. And what was begotten was his word. God begat his own Word/Speech.

John 1:12

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

Its self explanatory from the above passage that it is a spiritual station.

whirlingmerc

The title "Firstborn of all creation" does not stand for the "first created being", as you probably believe, but for the Rank / Position. It means that Jesus is the "King(firstborn) of all creation".

Here is an example: God calls Ephraim his "first-born", although Ephraim is the younger of Joseph's two sons.
Genesis 41:51-52 KJV
And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, [said he], hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house.
And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.

Jeremiah 31:9 KJV
... for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.”

For more information: What does it mean that Jesus is the firstborn of creation? | CARM.org

If the Bible wants to emphasize the chronological order, it uses the term "firstfruit". For example, in 1 Corinthians 15:20, Jesus is called the "firstfruit of the departed".

Besides, it is not written anywhere that Michael is the "firstborn of all creation"; that cannot be because Michael is a created being. But Jesus is God, he is the King and the Most High of all creation, and not a created being according to the bible.
As you see, this has nothing to do with Michael the angel.
I ask you again to show me where it is written in the Bible that Jesus is Michael.

The term firstborn is used many ways in the New Testament

Mary's firstborn (first child born)

Heir

First in rank

The whole church is the first born ones (a plurality of a group treated as redeemed first born fires fo God) in the book of Hebrews

There is a semantic range of meanings there.
"Son of" could even mean of the same type, son of God could be very God of very God in that sense"Son of a prophet" would be a prophet in that sense.

whirlingmerc

John 1:12

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

Its self explanatory from the above passage that it is a spiritual station.

Son of God is also a possible title held out for kings descended from David if they were obedient. Figuratively trie of them, literally of Jesus

I would say Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, from eternity
where the church is adopted children of God

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Son of God is also a possible title held out for kings descended from David if they were obedient. Figuratively trie of them, literally of Jesus

I would say Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, from eternity
where the church is adopted children of God

It is said in the Bible that God is a Spirit so Jesus would be His Spiritual Son.

Terry Sampson

Ben: Sonship and Jewish Mysticism, by Moshe IdeI, 2007.
  • 'Whoever possesses My Mysterion [which is the Mishnah] is My
    son.' Pesiqta' Rabbati
  • ''Whoever begets a righteous son, is considered as if he does not
    die.' Genesis Rabba' 49.4
  • ''Israel are the sons of the Place [God] because they are the
    offspring of His house because of their souls ... and are called
    servants because of their body, in order to worship Him and serve
    Him ... This is the reason for the descent of the divinity onto us
    and He brought us in the tradition of the covenant, and to the
    Torah and the commandments, which are the great entrance to
    the unification and amendment of God ... And this is the reason
    why we have been bound by the bonds of worship and service of
    God, by a link that cannot be untied at all neither exit from the
    domain of the Most High. We have been destined to be His
    nation and He is our God, and He shall never change and displace
    His nation.' R. Meir ibn Gabbai, (Avodat ha-Qodesh)
  • ''Ben: when [the word occurs] alone it refers to Tiferet, and it is
    understood so in the Zohar and in Tiqqunei Zohar, in innumerable
    places.' R. Moses Cordovero, Pardes Rimmonim
  • ''The son has always the nature of the father.'
    The Great Maggid of Medziretch, 'Or Torah'

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
For me, Jesus probably never physically existed, he is a composite of dying/resurrecting god-myths rolled into what was a heretical Jewish sect that obviously caught on.
I agree in this. The myth of "dying and resurrecting gods" is really global and it is based on astronomical star constellation images which rises and falls in the night Sky.
The Virgin Mary story is also a global astro-myth which is connected to the cultural Stories of Creation and the cosmogonical description of the creation of the Milky Way, just like the Egyptian story of creation and the goddess Hathor who is specifically connected to the Milky Way.
In the Abrahamic religious tradition and interpretation, most of the mythical contents of astronomical and cosmological explanations are personalized and thus completely distorted to become pure dogmas which goes against all common sense and logics.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CHRIST

giphy.gif

Jesus is the Christ of God

We should accept Jesus as the Christ of God:

“But what about you? he asked. ‘Who do you say I am?’ Peter answered, ‘The Christ of God.’” (Luke 9:20 NIV)

The Bible clearly stated that “Jesus is the Christ of God.” If Jesus is God, then God (Jesus) is the Christ of God. This is an absurdity. Thus, let us stick to what the Bible teaches about Jesus, that He is “the Christ of God.”

Jesus as the Son of God

We should accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God:

“Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16 NIV)

Although the apostles teach that Jesus is the Son of the living God, however, the Bible also tells us that Jesus, the Son of God, is a man:

“And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, ‘Surely THIS MAN WAS THE SON OF GOD!’” (Mark 15:39, NIV, emphasis mine).

Thus, the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is the Son of the living God, and not the living God.

Jesus as Lord

We should accept Jesus Christ as our Lord:

“So, all the people of Israel should know this truly: GOD HAS MADE JESUS — THE MAN YOU NAILED TO THE CROSS — BOTH LORD AND CHRIST.” (Acts 2:36, New Century Version, emphasis mine)

Christ’s lordship does not prove that He is God, because if so: (1) God (Jesus) is only made “Lord” by another God for the Bible said, “God has made Jesus – the man you nailed to the cross-both Lord and Christ”; and (2) God (Jesus) is a “man nailed to the cross.”

When the Apostle Peter teaches that Jesus is Lord, he also mentioned that Jesus was made Lord by God and “a man nailed to the cross.”

Jesus as Savior

We should accept Jesus Christ as our Savior:

“The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had murdered by hanging Him on a tree. GOD EXALTED THIS MAN TO HIS RIGHT HAND AS RULER AND SAVIOR, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.” (Acts 5:30-31, Holman Christian Standard Bible, emphasis mine)

Jesus is our Savior, but He became our Savior because “God exalted this man to His right hand as ruler and Savior.” Although, Jesus is our Savior, but the Bible also mentioned that He is a man exalted by God.

Jesus as the Mediator between God and Men

We should accept Jesus Christ as the Mediator between the one true God and men:

“For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (I Timothy 2:5, NIV, emphasis mine)

Apostle Paul’s statement clearly said that “there is one God.” And we are certain that the “one God” referred to by Apostle Paul is not the Lord Jesus, because he also mentioned that “the man Christ Jesus” is the “one mediator between God and men.”

LET US UPHOLD WHAT THE BIBLE
TEACHES ABOUT JESUS CHRIST

Let us uphold what the Bible teaches about the Lord Jesus Christ – the man Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and men, for those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as “coming in the flesh” such person is the deceiver and the antichrist:

“Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.” (II John 1:7 NIV)

Those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as “coming in the flesh” as those “who don’t believe that Jesus Christ came to earth as a human being”:

“Watch out for the false leaders-and there are many of them around-who don't believe that Jesus Christ came to earth as a human being with a body like ours. Such people are against the truth and against Christ.” (II John 1:7 Living Bible)

If Jesus is not the one true God, who is? This is what the apostles teach us:

“Praise be to THE GOD AND FATHER OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” (Ephesians 1:3 NIV, Emphasis Mine)
How can you take the word of men as fact, especially when these same men's agenda was to dominate the world's religions with their own beliefs? You can't use the Christian bible to prove the Christian bible, that is called circular logic and doesn't hold water.

Jesus actually has a far more special designation than simply "Son of God", he is the "only-begotten" Son of God. What does that mean? As the ONLY one, he has a special place amongst all of creation as being the only thing DIRECTLY created by God himself. As Colossians 1 shows, apart from Jesus, all other works of creation came into being: the physical universe, the additional angels and other creatures in heaven, the earth, mankind, etc....

Jesus is NOT God. He never has been God, never proclaimed himself to be God, and even those closest to him as his apostles all knew him to be the Son of God and not God himself (Matthew 16:16).

Reactions: Moz

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia

KJV

Yes. We all have no true creator but God, and are sons and daughters of God. More literally than we are descendants of our biological parents, who had no more ability to "create" us than they did to "create" themselves. You and your parents and your parents' parents all breathe by the will and grace of the same One who gives life and breath to all living things.

Jesus, I think, recognized this and tried to awaken us to the true nature of our birthright; not legal inheritance of money or property or political power (all of them passing and futile) but of an eternal life reflective of the divine nature of our true birth.

Reactions: Moz

MJFlores

How can you take the word of men as fact, especially when these same men's agenda was to dominate the world's religions with their own beliefs? You can't use the Christian bible to prove the Christian bible, that is called circular logic and doesn't hold water.

giphy.gif

Probably you were referring to the religion who started the violent agenda for world domination - things like the Crusades, Inquisition and many more.

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.
Circular reasoning - Wikipedia

But the topic "if the Christian Bible is true" is another topic.
I believe the topic is if "literally" Jesus is the Son of God
I say he is. But I am here to disprove that he is God the Son.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

KJV

'Son of God' as applied to Jesus has at least four incompatible meanings:

First, the Jesus of Mark was born of ordinary human parents and became 'son of God' at his baptism, when God adopted him as his son on the model of Psalm 2:7 where David becomes the son of God. (Acts 13:33 agrees.)

Second, the Jesus of Matthew and the Jesus of Luke were each son of God literally, that is, genetically; each of them had, at the least, God's Y-chromosome. So they were 'son of God' from the time of their conception.

Third, the Gnostic-flavored Jesuses of Paul and of John each had pre-existed in heaven with God, pretty much from the start, and each (in the role of demiurge) had created the material universe; so they were 'son of God' from way way back before they were born. From memory the gnostic view says God came first, and brought the Son into being (as a spiritual entity).

Lastly, outside of, and three centuries later than, the NT, the Trinity doctrine has Jesus as one of the three distinct 'persons' who compose God; there he's the Son, and Yahweh is the Father and third is the Ghost. Since God is understood to exist before anything else therefore Father, Son and Ghost co-existed before anything else; there was never a time when all three were not composing God. Hence Jesus has been the Son as long as God has been the Father; and he gets to be Son simply because that's his title ─ he's not created by the Father in any sense.

So take your pick, and add salt, mustard or ketchup to taste (just like Francis).

wellwisher

If God was omniscience, then he would have known of Jesus, the son of God, from the beginning. The son would be apart of his plan before there was any material universe or time.

Where the confusion lies is with the son of God becoming man. This is a specific subset of the son. This subset is connect to material creation. This describes a specific point in time, for the son, as perceived by humans. It is a bite sized piece that is comprehensible to humans since this human son can enters their animal sensory systems. They can observe and chew on this, and thereby offer explanations such as DNA or bloodline.

In Roman's 8:19
For the earnest expectation of creation eagerly awaits the manifestation of the sons of God.

This quote tells about sons of God (plural). These sons are revealed through the spirit. This quote is not one son, but about a plural of sons.

This is analogous to a wireless connection; faith, to God, though the son, and then via the Holy Spirit; Trinity. Jesus was a binary son; Father to Son via man.

In this case, becoming a son requires the human brain develop a specific neural grid, so it is able to pick up the wireless signal of the Spirit. This grid can be inferred from the quotes; "less you be as children you cannot enter the Kingdom of God" and "the Kingdom of God is within you", neural grid of the child. While the Sons of God is symbolic of being a child of God.

The child is full of innocence and imagination to where anything is possible to them. They see a happy picture of the world without the mass minded worries of the adults. This particular neural grid makes one open to creativity and learning, allowing the Spirit to felt and then followed; son of God.

Jesus was the lamb of God and he is revealing the sons of God through the spirit. A potential son needs the neural grid to be based on the finger print of the lamb; sons must reflect the Son, for the spirit to work properly.

Last edited: