• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it so hard to accept people wish to convert?

Dream Angel

This is a general question to everyone. I am curious, if someone wanted to convert to your faith or to another faith? whether family friends, whatever - how would you respond.

I am asking as some threads I have just read through concerned me - people not taking other peoples interest in their religion seriously!? People giving time limits for people to respond!? Asking for verification that the fact they are thinking of converting is true! This if anything would seriously put me off that particular religion. As Christians/ or any other religion love is the centre to most. This to me is not showing love as a christian. It is not following in Christs example.

What are your thoughts?

Perhaps its time we started actually following in christs example and helping each other instead of putting people down for what they believe in!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
To quote from the Holy Qu'ran, "there is no compulsion in religion".

People should be able to follow whichever faith they are drawn too, without having to explain themselves, or fulfill certain parameters to join. I believe people should look at the tenets of a religion, not the people who follow it.

However, with saying that, if the people who follow a religion seem to express characteristics we would not like for ourselves e.g. intolerance, superiority complexes even general unpleasantness, then i would give pause to question in what way, if any, that religion has warped those people. And if it has, despite it's positives, perhaps the negative impacts the religion has warrant avoidance of the religion as a whole.

Would you really want to be "saved" if that process transforms you into a spiritual bully?

Dream Angel

To quote from the Holy Qu'ran, "there is no compulsion in religion".

People should be able to follow whichever faith they are drawn too, without having to explain themselves, or fulfill certain parameters to join. I believe people should look at the tenets of a religion, not the people who follow it.

However, with saying that, if the people who follow a religion seem to express characteristics we would not like for ourselves e.g. intolerance, superiority complexes even general unpleasantness, then i would give pause to question in what way, if any, that religion has warped those people. And if it has, despite it's positives, perhaps the negative impacts the religion has warrant avoidance of the religion as a whole.

Would you really want to be "saved" if that process transforms you into a spiritual bully?

My point exactly - I have always been one to say dont necessarily look at the people, look at the religion itself! I the religion is good ands true then follow it. Islam is an excellent example of this... The religion itself from what I have seen and heard seems like a wonderful religion to follow, yet they have people (extremists) who misrepresent the religion.

However people who misrepresent their religion can put people off. Especially if it comes across as you have to be one of them to associate with them as I have seen. Its bullying, rudeness, impoliteness, narrowmindness. These sorts of people need to reread their bible/quran whichever holy book they follow and LEARN the TRUE meaning and teahings of their religion. As I said in my OP - I think pretty much every religion teaches love for one another and respect and patience!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I think culture is far more to blame than religious beliefs, which gives hope to those religions which have a bad reputation.

It is unfortunate that the loudest members of a faith always seem to be the most extreme and, quite frankly, disturbed members.

Dream Angel

I think culture is far more to blame than religious beliefs, which gives hope to those religions which have a bad reputation.

It is unfortunate that the loudest members of a faith always seem to be the most extreme and, quite frankly, disturbed members.

Yes true, the loudest ones are always the most disturbed.... unfortunately! Its like a viscous circle, the louder they become, the more the misrepresent, most people then dont like that particular religion, so they become louder and all just has the potential toe escalate and forms people who have a real hatred for religion also!

Nanda

Polyanna
This is a general question to everyone. I am curious, if someone wanted to convert to your faith or to another faith? whether family friends, whatever - how would you respond.

It's none of my business what they chose to believe. Whatever makes them happy.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

I'd say they need to make their own. Mine only has room for one person.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I feel anything where people are converting from what God has made them as, is wrong…..so unless like a child, some times it is hard to understand the things of God…..
Sort of like teaching an old dog new tricks, they don’t wish to learn, unless they choose too….
So can you ever really convert anybody to anything?
God restores people hearts, which is why repentance is sometimes needed….our troubles come from when traditions passed down interfere with the actual texts in question…..

Then on grounds of right and wrong, I think we all need to worry about any system that converts people into a private sect or groups; as a dictionary definition of that is a cult…..

So maybe we need to open doors and have all as one so no darkness can hide in the shadows and become occult to begin with……

joeboonda

I am asking as some threads I have just read through concerned me - people not taking other peoples interest in their religion seriously!? People giving time limits for people to respond!? Asking for verification that the fact they are thinking of converting is true! This if anything would seriously put me off that particular religion. As Christians/ or any other religion love is the centre to most. This to me is not showing love as a christian. It is not following in Christs example.

What are your thoughts?

Perhaps its time we started actually following in christs example and helping each other instead of putting people down for what they believe in!

Yes, I agree with you 100%! I know what thread you refer to. Although I understand the general mis-trust when someone suddenly says, Hey, I'm one of you guys now! Going on the defense before anything out of place was said and placing the time limits and asking for verification were not in the right spirit at all and I was quite shocked by it. Even though that thread is a place of retreat for Christians it still was a knee-jerk reaction just because the person who jumped in was known as LDS. I told them they were wrong, that they should give a person a chance and be kind to them, that time would tell if the conversion was sincere or if they were "a mole".

I welcome anyone who comes to the decision to trust alone in Christ alone for salvation and would be glad to help them any way I can. I pray everyone can stay open to one another and trust them when they open up to them in matters so important. I understand a little how one may question somebody's motives, but no quarter was given there. I believe if I came to an LDS only thread they would wonder what the heck I was doing and be highly suspicious of me, too, but would hopefully give me a chance to explain if I had indeed converted to that religion. I think we all need to chill out and communicate better with one another in love. Like I said, I welcome anyone with open heart and arms, if they are insincere, it will play out, eh?
Peace and Love,
Mike

Dream Angel

Yes, I agree with you 100%! I know what thread you refer to. Although I understand the general mis-trust when someone suddenly says, Hey, I'm one of you guys now! Going on the defense before anything out of place was said and placing the time limits and asking for verification were not in the right spirit at all and I was quite shocked by it. Even though that thread is a place of retreat for Christians it still was a knee-jerk reaction just because the person who jumped in was known as LDS. I told them they were wrong, that they should give a person a chance and be kind to them, that time would tell if the conversion was sincere or if they were "a mole".

I welcome anyone who comes to the decision to trust alone in Christ alone for salvation and would be glad to help them any way I can. I pray everyone can stay open to one another and trust them when they open up to them in matters so important. I understand a little how one may question somebody's motives, but no quarter was given there. I believe if I came to an LDS only thread they would wonder what the heck I was doing and be highly suspicious of me, too, but would hopefully give me a chance to explain if I had indeed converted to that religion. I think we all need to chill out and communicate better with one another in love. Like I said, I welcome anyone with open heart and arms, if they are insincere, it will play out, eh?
Peace and Love,
Mike

I read your post on that particular thread! Thankyou for doing that - I was unable to being LDS - I shouldnt really post arguing against them in that thread even though I completely disagreed with the way they were going about it. So Thankyou! Frubals to you for that! :)

love

tri-polar optimist
There is only one God and infinite paths. When we judge the motives of others we say we are superior. The Ten Commandments was recently removed from the courthouse in Montgomery, Al. due to constitutional rights of people who did not believe in God whether the law was a good thing or not. The basic principles of the Ten Commandments are to love and fear God and to respect the rights of your fellow man. I think this is the message of God no matter what path you take.

Pariah

Let go
It's not hard, but if someone wishes to convert to (insert religion here), they should understand that all my jokes/insults are in jest.
Joking with people in change is always a neat way to make transition harder than it already is.

Popeyesays

In some countries the Baha`i Faith uses declaration cards, but that is to acquaint the new believer with the faith and the faith and its members with the declarant.

The card does ask certain questions, like does the declarant accept the message of Baha`8u'llah as Revelation for today, does the declarant accept the chain of authority of Revelation from Baha`u'llah to the Universal House of Justice.

Those things simply determine whether an individual is part of the community. If someone wishes to accept Baha`u'llah in His heart, and work to advance the Divine Civilization, then bravo. There are Baha`i's in this world who have never heard the name of Baha`u'llah.

That said, those who do not declare set themselves outside the community and its administration. They cannot serve on Local or national assemblies,, nor can they vote in those elections, nor can they contribute funds to the faith. Those are not in my estimation things without value. So I am a declared Baha`i. That way the community knows ME.

Regards,
Scott

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
If you were in a physical army battle which you had been fighting in for a long time against an avowed opponent, how would you treat an enemy soldier who came over to your camp and said "hey guys i don't really like what my side are currently fighting for I want to join your cause instead".?

What would you think of the british army if they allowed an al-quaeda member to join them with no questions asked. What would you think of them if they let him in and he slaughtered british soldiers one night? Don't you think that they would have been foolish not to suspect a trap, especially considering the fact that the person they admitted was someone who had been very vocal in their hatred for the cause of the british army.

The same applies on a spritual level which has been proven by the results that have sprang from the thread.

We should learn from Pauls experiences and the perils he faced because of decievers:

2nd Corinthians 11:26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

True Christians walk in the light, honestly and openly:

Epistle to Romans 13:12-13 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Ephesians 5:8-9 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

This experience, if nothing else has taught me a whole lot about the type of people I am dealing with, sons of darkness, full of all malice and deceit. I must remember to keep this in mind and not be sucked in by peoples apparent niceness, because inside they are ravening wolves.

Dream Angel

If you were in a physical army battle which you had been fighting in for a long time against an avowed opponent, how would you treat an enemy soldier who came over to your camp and said "hey guys i don't really like what my side are currently fighting for I want to join your cause instead".?

What would you think of the british army if they allowed an al-quaeda member to join them with no questions asked. What would you think of them if they let him in and he slaughtered british soldiers one night? Don't you think that they would have been foolish not to suspect a trap, especially considering the fact that the person they admitted was someone who had been very vocal in their hatred for the cause of the british army.

The same applies on a spritual level which has been proven by the results that have sprang from the thread.

We should learn from Pauls experiences and the perils he faced because of decievers:

2nd Corinthians 11:26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

True Christians walk in the light, honestly and openly:

Epistle to Romans 13:12-13 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Ephesians 5:8-9 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

This experience, if nothing else has taught me a whole lot about the type of people I am dealing with, sons of darkness, full of all malice and deceit. I must remember to keep this in mind and not be sucked in by peoples apparent niceness, because inside they are ravening wolves.

You cant compare two opposing armies who kill each other every day - too two christians - same God - just slightly different beliefs who get a long anyway or have no reason not to! What trap would there be - its a computer for goodness sake! Not to mention the fact that the member had been having issues with the LDS faith for a couple of months - even I had noticed he had removed his religion I think it read something like "unsure" and then changed it to evanglical christian. In this situation you take the love of God, trust them and answer their questions. The way you do it make you come across as a rather aragont unloving set of individuals who completely misrepresent christiantiy. Remeber its a christian to a christian here..... The member wasnt putting your faith down or saying you were wrong, he was actually agreeing with you and saying he wanted to learn about your faith.... and you guys gave him time limits to answer and intergated him... if it were me I would say you misrepresent christianity and I wouldnt want to enter your church!

As for you last comment... Im not sure what to make of that... Im disappointed in you paul... I thought you were an genuine nice guy.... I now have a completely different view.