• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it or is it not possible for Adam and his descendants to have lived several hundred year lives

74x12

I think it is possible. I think it is because my 4 month old puppy lost her baby teeth, and grew new teeth within 3 days, literally. She will also die much sooner than me, as this is my 6th dog, and they always die, and I always get a new one.

It's all written in the DNA. And if the DNA says 400 years, then 400 years it shall be.
It's possible.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Iron melts at 1,580 degrees. With an atmospheric temp > 6,000 degrees I think "bake" is an understatement. ;)
as a toolmaker......
I can say.....THAT"S HOT!

btw.....toolsteel is heat treated at that temp...and a little bit more

the melting point is somewhat higher

red heat.....1500 to 1800
bright heat up to 2600

after that.....the drip begins

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
as a toolmaker......
I can say.....THAT"S HOT!

btw.....toolsteel is heat treated at that temp...and a little bit more

the melting point is somewhat higher

red heat.....1500 to 1800
bright heat up to 2600

after that.....the drip begins
Yes, different alloys have different melting points.
My temp citation, BTW, was Celsius.

12jtartar

Premium Member
I think it is possible. I think it is because my 4 month old puppy lost her baby teeth, and grew new teeth within 3 days, literally. She will also die much sooner than me, as this is my 6th dog, and they always die, and I always get a new one.

It's all written in the DNA. And if the DNA says 400 years, then 400 years it shall be.

Landon Caeli,
Very long lives, as mentioned in Genesis, happened just as it is written, but their lives were nothing compared to the life they many of them will get in the Paradise Earth the God has Purposed for all who love Him and His son, Jesus.
Here is something that must be understood, it seems to me, if we want to receive the same promises that were given to Adam and Eve. When Adam and Eve were created, they were never meant to die, in fact the only way they could die, was to disobey God, Genesis 2:17. They disobeyed and died, Genesis 3:14-19.
Since God is GOOD, He did not want all people to be lost forever, so He decided to send His son to earth to give his life for all mankind who would trust in him. By the Great Ransom Sacrifice of Jesus, our sins have been taken away so that we can live again, if we die, John 3:16, 1Timothy 2:1-6.
Think about this, it seems that mankind that love God do not die from their sins, because Jesus’ Sacrifice took away our sins. We die because of our inherited imperfection, from Adam.
Adam and Eve were made perfect, but when the sinned against God they then had a flaw that kept them from living forever, the same flaw we inherited. Since their descendants were close to Adam in Genesis, they were much closer to perfection than we are, so they could live much longer that we live today.
In the very near future, when Jesus returns to earth that flaw will be taken away from all who love God and their neighbor, and we will live forever on a Paradise earth, just the way God Purposed, when He Created Adam and Eve, Revelation 21:3-8. All who love God will have a wondrous future!!! Isaiah 45:18, Psalms .115:15,16. Agape!!!

Milton Platt

You are right. It's a DNA stuff.

Humans can no longer live that long because, I bet, they ever interbred with other homo erectus such as the Neanderthals. Scientists actually located the Neanderthal genes inside humans.

good luck finding evidence to link human longevity to that scenario. The life span of a given organism is tied directly to the length of the telomeres, which are like caps at the end of the strands of DNA. Each time a cell is reproduced, the telomere gets shorter. No more telomere means no more life, essentially.

Hawkins

good luck finding evidence to link human longevity to that scenario. The life span of a given organism is tied directly to the length of the telomeres, which are like caps at the end of the strands of DNA. Each time a cell is reproduced, the telomere gets shorter. No more telomere means no more life, essentially.

So the answer boils down to what could possibly happen to the telomeres when humans tried to interbreed with the Neanderthals.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The short answer is that the Jews were closer to God. As time went on they had distanced themselves from God.
How did that make them more prosperous? Were they secure and free of fear? Did they live long, peaceful, happy lives when they were closer to God?

roger1440

I do stuff
How did that make them more prosperous? Were they secure and free of fear? Did they live long, peaceful, happy lives when they were closer to God?
Hmm, how do I say this politely. Have you read the Bible? Being close to God according to the Bible is synonymous with “secure and free of fear... live long, peaceful, happy lives”.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmm, how do I say this politely. Have you read the Bible? Being close to God according to the Bible is synonymous with “secure and free of fear... live long, peaceful, happy lives”.
But history is replete with Godly Jews and Christians being persecuted, attacked, exiled and executed, and there is no reason to believe the Bible believers' lives were any less nasty, brutish or short than those of their heathen neighbors'.

roger1440

I do stuff
But history is replete with Godly Jews and Christians being persecuted, attacked, exiled and executed, and there is no reason to believe the Bible believers' lives were any less nasty, brutish or short than those of their heathen neighbors'.
What sets “Godly Jews and Christians” apart from there “heathen neighbors” is what guides there life. It is not that there life is any better. In some ways it may be worse. Some of them may be “persecuted, attacked, exiled and executed”. There are examples of this in the Bible over and over again. What sets the Jew or Christian apart from his or hers “heathen neighbors” is the path taken. This path according to the Bible leads to holiness. Some have traversed this path farther than others. Others have gotten off at the nearest exit. The destination is always holiness. Because someone has chosen to take this journey does not make them “less nasty, brutish”. What makes a person less “less nasty, brutish” is how far they are taken the journey.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What sets “Godly Jews and Christians” apart from there “heathen neighbors” is what guides there life. It is not that there life is any better. In some ways it may be worse. Some of them may be “persecuted, attacked, exiled and executed”. There are examples of this in the Bible over and over again. What sets the Jew or Christian apart from his or hers “heathen neighbors” is the path taken. This path according to the Bible leads to holiness. Some have traversed this path farther than others. Others have gotten off at the nearest exit. The destination is always holiness. Because someone has chosen to take this journey does not make them “less nasty, brutish”. What makes a person less “less nasty, brutish” is how far they are taken the journey.

"roger1440 said:
Hmm, how do I say this politely. Have you read the Bible? Being close to God according to the Bible is synonymous with “secure and free of fear... live long, peaceful, happy lives”."
The above seems to imply an actual healthy, prosperous life, not some abstract "holiness."

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
So when you claim that “rebelling” can cause genetic mutation, you have no mechanism at all?

Do you at least have other examples of “rebelling against our creator” causing genetic mutations?

I missed this, sorry.

There have been only three people who were perfect, with genetically perfect bodies....and only one died that way (murdered). They could have lived forever.

I wish there was a way to compare perfect human DNA with the rest of us.

As far as Scripture.... Isaiah 33:24 reveals that once sin, i.e., error, is removed, no one will ever be sick. Other Scriptures indicate the same pov.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I missed this, sorry.

There have been only three people who were perfect, with genetically perfect bodies....and only one died that way (murdered). They could have lived forever.

As far as Scripture.... Isaiah 33:24 reveals that once sin, i.e., error, is removed, no one will ever be sick. Other Scriptures indicate the same pov.
Please demonstrate this.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I missed this, sorry.

So nothing?

You do realize that you've given a testable hypothesis, right? If sin causes genetic mutations, then we should see a few things:

- all else being equal, genetic disorders should increase in frequency over time.

- mutation rates should be lower in populations that sin less and higher in populations that sin more.

Do you think the evidence bears this out?