• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam a religion? What defines a religion?

Bishka

Veteran Member
According to Pat Robertson it isn't,

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have to recognize that Islam is not a religion. It is a worldwide political movement meant on domination of the world. And it is meant to subjugate all people under Islamic law. In the Quran, it says it very clearly. There are two spheres. One is the Dar al-Harb, which is the realm of war. The other is Dar al-Islam, which is that part that’s under submission to Islam. There is no middle ground. You’re either at war or you’re under submission. Now, that’s the way they think." (wikipedia.org) 6/12/07

What defines a religion? Are there groups out there that you consider 'not religions'? Or is anyone practicing a belief in the supernatural a religion? Are there certain specifics for religions?

Seraphiel

Take some historical facts and try to interpret some wrong translated ancient texts add some mythology and some fantasy. Bundle all that 'knowledge' in a book and let a charismatic person tell other people that that book holds the truth and nothing but the truth. Add some brainwashing over a couple of decades and oops... you have a religion.

Popeyesays

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have to recognize that Islam is not a religion.” (wikipedia.org) 6/12/07​

What defines a religion? Are there groups out there that you consider 'not religions'? Or is anyone practicing a belief in the supernatural a religion? Are there certain specifics for religions?​

Well, if Pat Robertson acknowledged Islam as a religion of God, how would that affect the income on which he and his family live?

If there isn't an outside danger, how can a cult leader keep a cult alive?

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

I think that's pretty much the way Pat wants you to think. Doesn't make it true though. Can you provide some reasoning and evidence to back it up?

Regards,
Scott

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think that should say:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have to recognize Pat Robertson is a hate monger

to me a religion is a set of practices and beliefs, ususally cultural, centered on intaracting with or understanding the supernatrual ie. "God"

wa:do

JayHawes

Pat Robertson is a smart man but he is not all knowing. A religion is any faith that seeks to be right to any diety through the keeping of some law, tradition, ritual or evev through one's own good works. All religions fit into this criteria, even Islam.

What Pat may have been referring to is that Islam is not the sole true religion.

Dream Angel

A religion is a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals and study of ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction.

Well I think Islam fits all of that...so it is a religion and considering Islam is also an abrahamic religion, if islam isnt a religion chrsitantiy and judaism arent either....

Dream Angel

Pat Robertson is a smart man but he is not all knowing. A religion is any faith that seeks to be right to any diety through the keeping of some law, tradition, ritual or evev through one's own good works. All religions fit into this criteria, even Islam.

What Pat may have been referring to is that Islam is not the sole true religion.

Pats a man? :confused: well that says it all then!!!!! :D

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Have you not seen those who have received a portion of the Book being called to the Book of Allah, that it might judge between them, and some turned away, swerving aside. (3:23)

The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from His Lord, and so do the believers. Each believes in Allah and His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers, we do not differentiate between any one of His Messengers. They say: 'We hear and obey. (We ask) Your forgiveness Lord, and to You is the arrival. (285)

= One Books = Mustard seed is in Upanishads, Dhammapada, Quran and Bible

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have to recognize that Islam is not a religion.” (wikipedia.org) 6/12/07

Ha! Now that's funny.

What defines a religion? Are there groups out there that you consider 'not religions'? Or is anyone practicing a belief in the supernatural a religion? Are there certain specifics for religions?
Religions are generally organised structures of deity worshippers. If Islam isn''t a religion, then Christianity certainly isn't.​

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Islam is a religion. Just because someone says it is not does not mean it is true. It is Mr. Robertsons personal opinion and not a fact. Sometimes we need to separate facts from opinions.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
No need to get into an uproar. He meant to say Islam is a false religion, as I am finding many evangelical christians believe. I guess that's what they feel they should believe, because if they didn't they'd have to give some credibility to it which they aren't willing to do.

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]What Islam Actually Is[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Q: I am a 16-year-old Christian fromTexas, US, and I was wondering if you could explain what Islam actually is.[/FONT]

A: Islam is the very nature of man. It is the religion and the path chosen by Almighty Allah for mankind so that they may gain happiness in this life and Paradise in the next life.

Islam is not a religion in the common and distorted sense, for it does not confine its scope to one's private life. It is a complete way of life and is present in every field of human existence. Islam provides guidance for all aspects of life—individual and social, material and moral, economic and political, legal and cultural, and national and international.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1128453795984&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Vassal

Islam is a religion. Just because someone says it is not does not mean it is true. It is Mr. Robertsons personal opinion and not a fact. Sometimes we need to separate facts from opinions.

No, Islam is not a religion, it's a political organization whose intent is to subjugate the entire world. The middle-east has no where near enough military power to take over the entire world by force, so they instead disguised themselves as a religion so that they can assimilate their culture into other countries without only a small amount of resistance compared to the amount of resistance they would receive if they openly admitted their true intentions. Sure, some people actually believe Islam will lead them to salvation and their intent is to try and obtain that salvation, and not to subjugate the entire world, but those people aren’t true Muslims as they deviate from what the Qur’an teaches. They try to claim that the “fanatic Muslims” are the ones who have misinterpreted the Qur’an, but if you read the Qur’an you can see that “fanatical Islam” is what it teaches.

What Pat Roberson said is true. Read the Qur’an, research the history of Islam, how it started, how it misrepresents historical facts, how it etc, and you will see that “radical Islam” is the only true Islam, and that it contradicts the Bible in so many ways even though it tells Muslims to read the Torah and the Gospels. They say that Jesus was "exalted by Allah" and that he was holy and that Muslims should read the Gospels, but yet they totally ignore the things Jesus said.

John 3:3-6 (NASB) 3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Jesus says that to enter the Kingdom of God you must be born of the Spirit? How do Muslims achieve this?

John 3:14-18 (NASB) 14 "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life. 16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Numbers 21:6-9 (NASB) 6 The Lord sent fiery serpents among the people and they bit the people, so that many people of Israel died. 7 So the people came to Moses and said, "We have sinned, because we have spoken against the Lord and you; intercede with the Lord, that He may remove the serpents from us." And Moses interceded for the people. 8 Then the Lord said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard; and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he will live." 9 And Moses made a bronze serpent and set it on the standard; and it came about, that if a serpent bit any man, when he looked to the bronze serpent, he lived.
If Jesus is not the Son of God we must believe in to not be judged, then who is?

Matthew 20:7-9 (NASB) 7 "They said to him, 'Because no one hired us.' He said to them, 'You go into the vineyard too.' 8 "When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.' 9 "When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius.

Matthew 26:28 (NASB) for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

Mark 10:45 (NASB) "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

Mark 14:24 (NASB) And He said to them, "This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.
If Jesus did not come to be a sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins, then why did he say that he was?

Like I said, you don't have to take my word for it. Go read the Qur'an, research the history, and watch the news. You'll see the idea that Islam is a religion is nothing more than a disguise to make it easier for them to accomplish their goals.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
And since we wanna take oever the world, don't you think we should start with the forums. I for one am working day and night to secretly convert each and every person on RF. Hope they don't find out.:run:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No, Islam is not a religion, it's a political organization whose intent is to subjugate the entire world. The middle-east has no where near enough military power to take over the entire world by force, so they instead disguised themselves as a religion so that they can assimilate their culture into other countries without only a small amount of resistance compared to the amount of resistance they would receive if they openly admitted their true intentions. Sure, some people actually believe Islam will lead them to salvation and their intent is to try and obtain that salvation, and not to subjugate the entire world, but those people aren’t true Muslims as they deviate from what the Qur’an teaches. They try to claim that the “fanatic Muslims” are the ones who have misinterpreted the Qur’an, but if you read the Qur’an you can see that “fanatical Islam” is what it teaches.

What Pat Roberson said is true. Read the Qur’an, research the history of Islam, how it started, how it misrepresents historical facts, how it etc, and you will see that “radical Islam” is the only true Islam, and that it contradicts the Bible in so many ways even though it tells Muslims to read the Torah and the Gospels. They say that Jesus was "exalted by Allah" and that he was holy and that Muslims should read the Gospels, but yet they totally ignore the things Jesus said.

Jesus says that to enter the Kingdom of God you must be born of the Spirit? How do Muslims achieve this?

If Jesus is not the Son of God we must believe in to not be judged, then who is?

If Jesus did not come to be a sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins, then why did he say that he was?

Like I said, you don't have to take my word for it. Go read the Qur'an, research the history, and watch the news. You'll see the idea that Islam is a religion is nothing more than a disguise to make it easier for them to accomplish their goals.

But I thought Girls On Trampolines was gonna take over the world????