• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hindu monotheism incompatible with Abrahamic monotheism?

Is Hindu monotheism compatible with Abrahamic monotheism?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • They have significant similarities

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • They have significant differences

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Some Abrahamic and some Hindus believe in the same God

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Abrahamics and Hindus believe in different Gods

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Its not possible to know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This poll doesn’t reflect my thinking

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism incorporates diverse views on the concept of God. Different traditions of Hinduism have different theistic views, and these views have been described by scholars as polytheism, monotheism, henotheism, panentheism, pantheism, monism, agnostic, humanism, atheism or Nontheism.

Monotheism is the belief in a single creator God and the lack of belief in any other Creator. Hinduism is not a monolithic faith and different sects may or may not posit or require such a belief. Religion is considered a personal belief in Hinduism and followers are free to choose the different interpretations within the framework of Karma and reincarnation.

Many forms of Hinduism believe in a monotheistic God, such as Krishna followers, Vedanta, Arya samaj, Samkhya school of Vedas etc, Many traditions within Hinduism share the Vedic idea of a metaphysical ultimate reality and truth called Brahman instead.

(Adapted from Hindu views on monotheism - Wikipedia)

There is much that could be said about monotheism within Abrahamic and Hindu religions. What concepts do they share and where do they differ? Is Hindu monotheism compatible with Abrahamic monotheism or are they so fundamentally different as to be incompatible?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experiences, based on interpretations of the character of these beings by the followers of their paradigms, they are fundamentally different and incompatible, at least from my perspective, being born into an Abrahamic religion, Catholicism, and ending up in a dharmic one, Hinduism.

On the Abrahamic side, you have an emotionally driven god, driven by jealousy, hungry for worship, sometimes loving, sometimes wrathful, and heavily involved in human affairs. On the Hindu side, at least from this Vedantic's perspective, you have Nirguna Brahman, a supreme principle that is pure being, formless, devoid of any character, qualities, or attributes. Yes, Nirguna Brahman takes form as Saguna Brahman, but it also takes form as everything else perceived in transactional reality.

There are Abrahamics that probably won't like my view, but given that the Abrahamic God has qualities, attributes, and in the view of many religions in the Abrahamic paradigm, form, if there is any correlation at all between Nirguna Brahman and the Abrahamic God, He would be an appearance in Nirguna Brahman and none other than Saguna Brahman. And I stress "if."

Then again, there are Abrahamic mystics that do not view the Abrahamic God as mainstream Abrahamic religions do, and their perspective of the Abrahamic God is quite similar to that of the Hindu perception of Nirguna Brahman. I think we have at least a few here on this forum. One for certain.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my view, no. Salix has explained it well. But I understand why some universalist sorts of people would want to argue the case, as they falsely (in my view) believe that this might bring humanity closer together. It's also a conversion strategy to say, "My God isn't that different from yours," as a method of getting in the door, so to speak. It's how Christians get Hindus to put a cross or a picture of Christ on their Smarta-based Sanatani multi-deity shrine room.

For me, any view is fine, thus rendering argument unnecessary. "Will you share your food?" is a better question to bring humanity together.

Edited to add ... Personally, I'm not even sure strict monotheism exists within Hinduism.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like a lot of Hindus are very “live and let live” almost intrinsically. Obviously there are conservatives and traditionalists.

But it seems to be taken for granted that a fundamental human right is that each person will get to choose their own interpretation of Brahman, the divine or god or the principle or the ultimate etc. (Though there is a cultural expectation that the child does not abandon the religion of their parents. Merely explore their own interpretation of it.)

This I think puts us more in line with the more moderate and liberal thinking Christians. (Since that is my personal framework, I specify Christians. But maybe other Abrahamics can correct my perception.) We are able to coexist and sometimes even absorb their traditions with relative ease without losing our own personal identities in the process.
This is where a lot of syncretism occurs, I think.

This does not always go favourably when the shoe is on the other foot. Abrahamics seek to “save” their fellow man. Whereas Hindus would consider proselytisation quite rude. Sometimes that “salvation” is quite destructive.

All this to say, there are certain sects within the two frameworks that have seemingly blended together, on a theological level. So it seems there is some compatibility.
Though in saying that, I guess it depends on ones interpretation.

(Please note I am a born Sai Baba person who is an unconventional tantric Kali devotee. My position is my own and I cannot speak on the behalf of other Hindus.)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hinduism incorporates diverse views on the concept of God. Different traditions of Hinduism have different theistic views, and these views have been described by scholars as polytheism, monotheism, henotheism, panentheism, pantheism, monism, agnostic, humanism, atheism or Nontheism.

Monotheism is the belief in a single creator God and the lack of belief in any other Creator. Hinduism is not a monolithic faith and different sects may or may not posit or require such a belief. Religion is considered a personal belief in Hinduism and followers are free to choose the different interpretations within the framework of Karma and reincarnation.

Many forms of Hinduism believe in a monotheistic God, such as Krishna followers, Vedanta, Arya samaj, Samkhya school of Vedas etc, Many traditions within Hinduism share the Vedic idea of a metaphysical ultimate reality and truth called Brahman instead.

(Adapted from Hindu views on monotheism - Wikipedia)

There is much that could be said about monotheism within Abrahamic and Hindu religions. What concepts do they share and where do they differ? Is Hindu monotheism compatible with Abrahamic monotheism or are they so fundamentally different as to be incompatible?

part of the problem is the viewpoint. if one understands that the viewpoint of the same thing is going to be expressed differently because of environment and culture. so once the viewer reaches oneness there is a reflection of all in one and one in all.

without oneness there will always be the viewpoint in disparity and difference. the illusion(maya) is due to form, but the underlying action(lila) is towards the same as self.

those who are looking up, down, outward, should be peering inward.

Matthew 23:13

divine power, pure consciousness, unconditional love isn't unique to a culture, or an environment.

love will be what love is................infinite and unconditional

there can't be two absolutes no matter how many believers from either side. its a contradiction in their own language.

its like a chorus. no two voices will sing it in the same vibration as everyone else in the choir. the idea is to join in song

one song and many voices.

Job 38:7

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't think they are innately incompatable. Hell, christopaganism is even a thing.

In the US, dharmic\abrahamic syncretism might be a hard sell, but usually people who follow these individual paths aren't afraid of solitary worship. I'd love to see how such a path manifests itself!

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I feel like a lot of Hindus are very “live and let live” almost intrinsically. Obviously there are conservatives and traditionalists.

Not quite sure what you implied here, but I'll point out that one can be a traditionalist in their personal view, and hold a 'live and let live' attitude.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there is substantial overlap between the concepts, but I'm at work and don't have time to fully elaborate my thoughts. I'll come back to this later.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

But it seems to be taken for granted that a fundamental human right is that each person will get to choose their own interpretation of Brahman, the divine or god or the principle or the ultimate etc. (Though there is a cultural expectation that the child does not abandon the religion of their parents. Merely explore their own interpretation of it.)
My opinion on this:

Indeed, I also got this feeling when I was in India ... "live and let live"

You make an interesting point, that due to "cultural expectation", many stick to what they were told by their parents. And when this is expected then before you know the idea "this is better" arises, hence evangelizing could be easily born.

It could be that originally evangelism was not taught by Jesus, but due to cultural expectation or just ego-interpretation, evangelism started also in Christianity, and when the Bible was written it had become a "fact". Impossible to know for sure now of course, 2000 years after Jesus "died". It's all about belief, and luckily we have Freedom of Religion, so all can choose how they prefer to live their religious life

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

This I think puts us more in line with the more moderate and liberal thinking Christians. (Since that is my personal framework, I specify Christians. But maybe other Abrahamics can correct my perception.) We are able to coexist and sometimes even absorb their traditions with relative ease without losing our own personal identities in the process.
This is where a lot of syncretism occurs, I think.

This does not always go favourably when the shoe is on the other foot. Abrahamics seek to “save” their fellow man. Whereas Hindus would consider proselytisation quite rude. Sometimes that “salvation” is quite destructive.

All this to say, there are certain sects within the two frameworks that have seemingly blended together, on a theological level. So it seems there is some compatibility.
Though in saying that, I guess it depends on ones interpretation.

(Please note I am a born Sai Baba person who is an unconventional tantric Kali devotee. My position is my own and I cannot speak on the behalf of other Hindus.)

Thanks. I probably shouldn’t need to ask but which Sai Baba?

Sai Baba of Shirdi - Wikipedia

Sathya Sai Baba - Wikipedia

Is Kali your deity?

Kali - Wikipedia

As you may appreciate my knowledge and experience of Hinduism is limited but it is reassuring to hear some degree of compatibility is expressed from two Dharmic practitioners so far along with two who would see no compatibility. I’m good with the validity of either perspective. Some streams of Abrahamic and Hindu thought are clearly mutually exclusive.

As well as being Baha’i I would identify as being more on the liberal spectrum of Christianity. Baha’is consider the origins of Hinduism as being Divine and would share the view of some Vaishnava with both Krishna and Buddha being Avatars of Vishnu.

My perception of some Hindus is intense antipathy towards Abrahamic Faiths despite the live and let live attitude though appreciate the long and troubled history stemming from Islamic and Christian colonialism.

I agree with your perception of the destructiveness of proselytising Christians trying to save Hindus.

Thanks for dropping by.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I don't think Brahman and the Abrahamic God are at all compatible.
Or why anyone would want them to be.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Maybe different perspective on the same "Thing"?

I don't see how. It's comparing apples and oranges.
I can understand why universalists or perenialists might want them to be compatible, but that doesn't make it so.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I probably shouldn’t need to ask but which Sai Baba?

Sai Baba of Shirdi - Wikipedia

Sathya Sai Baba - Wikipedia

Is Kali your deity?

Kali - Wikipedia

As you may appreciate my knowledge and experience of Hinduism is limited but it is reassuring to hear some degree of compatibility is expressed from two Dharmic practitioners so far along with two who would see no compatibility. I’m good with the validity of either perspective. Some streams of Abrahamic and Hindu thought are clearly mutually exclusive.

As well as being Baha’i I would identify as being more on the liberal spectrum of Christianity. Baha’is consider the origins of Hinduism as being Divine and would share the view of some Vaishnava with both Krishna and Buddha being Avatars of Vishnu.

My perception of some Hindus is intense antipathy towards Abrahamic Faiths despite the live and let live attitude though appreciate the long and troubled history stemming from Islamic and Christian colonialism.

I agree with your perception of the destructiveness of proselytising Christians trying to save Hindus.

Thanks for dropping by.
Oh Sathya. Though Sai Baba of Shirdi is also important in the faith.

Yes, Kali is “my deity.”

Hindus and Christians/Muslims have a “complicated” relationship. Mostly due to colonialism.

You will find a whole host of opinions and perspectives among Hindus and the broader Dharmic umbrella.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Not quite sure what you implied here, but I'll point out that one can be a traditionalist in their personal view, and hold a 'live and let live' attitude.
Of course. Some may just be a bit more “black and white” depending on their beliefs. By that I mean some might be a little bit inclined to enforce certain policies that aren’t exactly demonstrative of a live and let live philosophy. But that’s just an observation I’ve had of certain Western born Hindus

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IMO:

There is 1 God addressed by many different people attributing different Names and Forms to the same 1 God. For me Hinduism is about 1 God.

In Hinduism they have Duality (Dvaita) and Non-Duality (Advaita). Gradual, by practising sadhana (spiritual exercises), you see more and more unity in all the diversity, as you go from Duality to Non-Duality. Children start revering their parents as God, later on the Guru is God. This process continues until one is Self Realized. All steps are valuable. Revering parents and Guru as God, develops humbleness and devotion and makes sure you don't fall in the trap of Spiritual Ego. Ego is not easy to overcome, but obviously Spiritual Ego is near to impossible to overcome.

When children read the stories about all the Gods, and see the pictures, they naturally might think there are many Gods in India. But later on, the Guru will explain that there are many different Names/Forms attributed to the same God. It's a gradual process. So, probably there are many in India who believe in many Gods, because there are many children in India. But, for sure there are also many who believe in 1 God.

The key is Love (for God), and surrender to God. Whatever path you choose, God will guide you till the end.

The following lines explained this gradual process of awareness well for me:
1) I am in the Light: xx a)Duality; see the light outside yourself + b)Pray to an external Jesus
2) The Light is in me: x a)VishishtAdvaita; see the light inside x + b)Contact Holy Spirit in the heart
3) I am the Light: xx xx a)Advaita; merged in the light xx xx xx x + b)The Father, Son, Holy Spirit are One

@stvdvRF

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't see how. It's comparing apples and oranges.
I can understand why universalists or perenialists might want them to be compatible, but that doesn't make it so.
Again, if one takes a rather liberal view of religion in general, as I do since I'm not a scriptural literalist, it can and has been done. Here's just one article that can show some of the interplay that many do believe in: The Inner Voice

Obviously, fundamentalists on either side won't like our approach.

BTW, here's another link that helps to make clearer this possible connection: Gandhi, Christ and Christianity | Relevance of Gandhi | Articles on and by Mahatma Gandhi

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While mystics of various paradigms, Abrahamic, dharmic, non-theistic, etc. can agree on the nature of "God" (the highest principle), as long as mainstream religious views of gods as deities take the forefront, theists of both paradigms mentioned in the OP will not see compatibility or overlook the dichotomy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think that the world's religions are mostly honest attempts to know God or Gods, but I don't think any religion has some sort of monopoly on either. And yet, I do believe there is Something that defies anything close to fully understanding what the Something is.

So, I sorta look at "this", look at "that", and try to go with that which seems to make more sense. However, needless to say, I have myriads of more questions than answers, but I as an anthropologist can live with that. :shrug: