• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is having doubts "bad"?

gnostic

The Lost One
Is having doubts "bad"?

When I was younger there were many things that I thought were possible, but as I grew older, I guess I was a little more wiser (at least I hope I am wiser) with more experiences in life, those things that I used to think were possible, I now have doubts of them being possible.

Take religion, for example. When I was in my teen, most of the people I knew (who weren't my relatives), were Christians. So it was natural for me to eventually read the bible (though, it was my older sister who got me to read it), even though I've never converted. At that time I though miracles could or did happen.

The thing is, I no longer believe in miracles.

Perhaps, it is part of what we call "growing up". We put away our childish belief and naivety.

When I think about this - though I may express "doubt" on certain issue or event, but at the same time I'm also have "certainty" that what we call miracle or the supernatural, or what we believe to be, is not real.

What I don't understand is why people are afraid of having doubts or afraid of questioning their belief?

Is it wrong to have doubts?
Why are some believers fearful of "having doubts"?

Are they so insecure with questioning their faith that they will go so far as to deny they are "having doubts"?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Having doubts is natural, especially as you get older and wiser.

People are fearful of having doubts because they have been brainwashed for so long by their respective religions. Many religions do not want you thinking for yourself or asking questions. They want their flock to stay tucked away in the fold, and keep sending in their tithes/offerings/donations. They guilt trip you so much that if you have doubt, you think it is a sin and feel bad because of it.

Shame on any religion that has to use guilt trips and scare tactics to maintain its control.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is having doubts "bad"?

When I was younger there were many things that I thought were possible, but as I grew older, I guess I was a little more wiser (at least I hope I am wiser) with more experiences in life, those things that I used to think were possible, I now have doubts of them being possible.

Take religion, for example. When I was in my teen, most of the people I knew (who weren't my relatives), were Christians. So it was natural for me to eventually read the bible (though, it was my older sister who got me to read it), even though I've never converted. At that time I though miracles could or did happen.

Perhaps, it is part of what we call "growing up". We put away our childish belief and naivety.

When I think about this - though I may express "doubt" on certain issue or event, but at the same time I'm also have "certainty" that what we call miracle or the supernatural, or what we believe to be, is not real.

What I don't understand is why people are afraid of having doubts or afraid of questioning their belief?

Are they so insecure with questioning their faith that they will go so far as to deny they are "having doubts"?

I can give some perspective since I agree with a lot of religions I disbelieve in (dont think too hard with that ;))

I knew but now is crystalizing that my foundation of my faith is in my ancestors. The Souls and spirits that guide me are the Spirits. The new thing I learned is my creative passion for writing, sketching, teaching, and music is the core that binds all of these things together. It is how I communicate. And so forth.

If someone asked me to doubt my faith in any of these things, I would be troubled.

Why?

For me, its not because of fear or brainwashing. A lot of religious dont fit that catagory of people. Rather, the religion IS our life. How can I doubt that I have an anceator when I exist because of them, literally?

How can I doubt that Spirit exist when my body and mind wont be "alive" without them, physically. Its a personification of the different energies of people. We take on that energy like an aura we get around someone we dont know but feel dangerious vibes. How or why would you ask someone to doubt their gut feeling (what some call god's voice)?

Its not that they dont want to or fear because of it, its because they Cant. Religion isnt something you change to like a hobby. Its a revelation not a conversion.

You can ask someone to doubt whether their mother is their mother (or if god is the creator). They may say thats rediculous. However, you ask someone to doubt their mother exist (aka like thr creator) thats impossible to answer.

If one knows something, how can you doubt it? Philosophize, yes. Question "about" it, yes. Even pretend to see someone elses views (which is rare here).

But to doubt something that is true. Thats like asking us to question the answer to two and two as if there is possibility (agnosticly speaking) that there is another answer but cant be proven. Or atheistic speaking, saying four doesnt exist when it does.

Its hardwired. Not a bad thing if its healthy. I notice there are a lot of unhealthy experiencs with christianity among people here.

Think about this. If my mother hit me, she is still my mother. I can find another woman to call my mothr, but biologically, she is not. I cannot change this fact.

Thats how religion or spirituality is for many people. Thats why its hard for them to doubt it.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Question everything.

It's healthy.
I don't accept organized religious dogma just because it's religious tradition.
I dislike pomp and ceremony in religion.
I dislike preachers who act as though they are in charge of a "flock".
Such religious people tend to be authoritarian and don't care to be questioned.
I dislike religious leaders that dress differently when preaching, like
wearing gowns or purple robes etc.
Just my personal peeves.

gnostic

The Lost One
I can give some perspective
Yes, that's what I think. :)

Doubts can give people different "perspective". That's the word I looking for in my OP, instead of wisdom or being wiser or such.

My brain wasn't working this morning when I got up this morning and wrote the OP. :oops:

since I agree with a lot of religions I disbelieve in

But that's good for you.

I read a lot of books that I don't believe in - scriptures, books on myths, legends, folklore and fairytales. I came to realisation that I don't have to believe in stories that I am reading. And the other realisation is that I simply enjoy good storytelling.

I know that I argue with some of the creationists here, about the creation, Adam and Eve, and the Flood, but the truth is, though I no longer believe in these stories, these are actually favorite biblical stories. My argument with creationists, is only because they are trying to present them as "historical" or "scientific".

As I had mentioned earlier, that it was my Christian sister, who gave me bible (actually she given me two of them when I was in my mid-teen) to read. Back then, everything I knew of the bible come from Christian or church view; I have never thought of looking at the OT from Jewish's perspective.

What you don't know that after my argument with a pastor (who's church I nearly join, not my sister's church), I went through 14 year hiatus, in which I haven't touch a bible. When I reread the bible again, I have a different perspective.

What I used to believe as a teenager, I no longer accept a lot of as real.

Rereading certain passages that I used to take at face's value, and accept without question as a teenager, I now have doubts about those passages, and I have been questioning them since then.

Do you know really change all this, Carlita?

Matthew 1:23 interpretation to the original Isaiah 7:14 had changed the whole dynamic of what I used to believe in the bible. That's when I began questioning everything written in the bible and its church teachings.

Etritonakin

I will never doubt that anything is possible.
I question whether everything else is as it seems.
If I did not doubt what I was taught about God, I would not have sought to know more about God.
What i believed could have prevented me from knowing more about God.

What man does today would seem miraculous to previous generations. The miraculous is not unscientific.
The miraculous is a matter of understanding and interface -yet people do miraculous things today without firsthand knowledge.
They simply press a button and miraculous things happen -made possible by data hiding.
We do not know enough about the universe -and beyond -to say that miracles of the biblical sort are impossible.
Doubt leading to rejection might prevent us from learning faster.
Questioning would lead to increased understanding.

Doubt is not good if it causes one to completely reject what is possible.
If one knows absolutely that something is absolutely impossible, doubt has no place -yet keeping an open mind only serves to add evidence -unless one was not truly absolutely certain -then they are still able to learn.
Where there is no doubt, one should still question.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Doubt is just as important as belief. When you doubt, it means there is something wrong. It is not objectively negative.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is having doubts "bad"?

First of all, open-minded skepticism is a good thing. Secondly. I think if you review the strong cases for modern paranormal/miracle phenomenon you won't be so sure it doesn't exist. I personally am certain it does exist.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is having doubts "bad"?

I think one big issue would be for people who have devoted their lives, it would take some serious pride swallowing to start the doubts later in life.

Probably easier for those of us who start doubting as teens.

For me I started doubting the foundation of the scriptures, who how and why the books that are in the bible were chosen. This allowed a more open minded perspective not requiring Jesus to be some supernatural being.

I've come to think that unquestioned faith is the bad thing and that doubts allow progression, learning and deeper understanding. I still feel there is a need for faith, that we all need hope, something to look forward to but not at the expense of living a lie.

I think there is enough wonder and mystery that miracles do happen but we have been getting pretty good at explaining things away. Problem being we are seeing more and more behind the curtain. However between general relativity, special relativity and quantum mechanics there is plenty of mystery and plenty of potential that a great many science fiction stuff is probably true, may not be supernatural but it could certainly give credence to some more profound metaphysical aspects of nature.

Laika

Premium Member

Too much doubt leads to "Nihilism". emotionally, nihilism is extremely unpleasant as it negates our natural desire for pleasure and to want to live. As an atheist, I have reached a point where I know there is a threshold that "too much doubt" is unhealthy and destructive (as I've had depression and really don't want to go back). its one thing to doubt an idea, but when that idea is closely related to your own identity, it can mean doubting yourself. the latter can be harmful if it becomes crippling. I think it is fair to say that religions (as well as secular ideologies) blurr the distinction between ideas and identity and so criticism of an idea can feel like a personal attack, and doubting an idea can be a personal crisis. This is not necessarily a negative reflection on the person but is simply that they aren't "secular" in treating ideas and people as seperate so doubt and criticism can be very threatening.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I can give some perspective since I agree with a lot of religions I disbelieve in (dont think too hard with that ;))

I knew but now is crystalizing that my foundation of my faith is in my ancestors. The Souls and spirits that guide me are the Spirits. The new thing I learned is my creative passion for writing, sketching, teaching, and music is the core that binds all of these things together. It is how I communicate. And so forth.

If someone asked me to doubt my faith in any of these things, I would be troubled.

Why?

For me, its not because of fear or brainwashing. A lot of religious dont fit that catagory of people. Rather, the religion IS our life. How can I doubt that I have an anceator when I exist because of them, literally?

How can I doubt that Spirit exist when my body and mind wont be "alive" without them, physically. Its a personification of the different energies of people. We take on that energy like an aura we get around someone we dont know but feel dangerious vibes. How or why would you ask someone to doubt their gut feeling (what some call god's voice)?

Its not that they dont want to or fear because of it, its because they Cant. Religion isnt something you change to like a hobby. Its a revelation not a conversion.

You can ask someone to doubt whether their mother is their mother (or if god is the creator). They may say thats rediculous. However, you ask someone to doubt their mother exist (aka like thr creator) thats impossible to answer.

If one knows something, how can you doubt it? Philosophize, yes. Question "about" it, yes. Even pretend to see someone elses views (which is rare here).

But to doubt something that is true. Thats like asking us to question the answer to two and two as if there is possibility (agnosticly speaking) that there is another answer but cant be proven. Or atheistic speaking, saying four doesnt exist when it does.

Its hardwired. Not a bad thing if its healthy. I notice there are a lot of unhealthy experiencs with christianity among people here.

Think about this. If my mother hit me, she is still my mother. I can find another woman to call my mothr, but biologically, she is not. I cannot change this fact.

Thats how religion or spirituality is for many people. Thats why its hard for them to doubt it.

Then I am sad that you draw happiness and inspiration from the false certainty that comes from unverifiable assertions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Rereading certain passages that I used to take at face's value, and accept without question as a teenager, I now have doubts about those passages, and I have been questioning them since then.

Do you know really change all this, Carlita?

Matthew 1:23 interpretation to the original Isaiah 7:14 had changed the whole dynamic of what I used to believe in the bible. That's when I began questioning everything written in the bible and its church teachings.

In my opinion, I feel your understanding of religion is different and less productive for you than how I see it.

For example, when you first read and lived the Bible for X many years, was it Who you were or What you were? Was it something you Know is true like the earth going around the sun or when you took it at face value it didnt add up to how you oiriginally see reality outside indoctrination?

The formers, usually people dont change or disbelieve because the word is useless. Its like the earth/sun ex. How can one correctly disbelieve that? How can anyone have correct doubts? Is it based on reality?

In religion, what people believe is reality. Thats their perspective. When I read the Bible wt age 14, I wanted to be a nun and go to a covent then a priest. I lived in an atheist family; so, I was the old ball out.

Now I read the Bible and all I see it death. Its depressing. It bothers my soul. So I gave my bibles away. I kept the kjv for my grandmothers and the one I got at confirmation.

Those verses you gave, I dont see how they relate to your perspective and story of your deconversion. Explain?

gnostic

The Lost One
From my view, there are several things that a person might do, when there is doubt.
  1. He could start questioning, and he may investigate or seek out why he doubt.
  2. He could ignore it through rationalizing that his doubt was in error.
  3. He could ignore it because he has too much invested in his current position and don't want to rock the boat.
Only 1st one, is healthy.

gnostic

The Lost One
In my opinion, I feel your understanding of religion is different and less productive for you than how I see it.

For example, when you first read and lived the Bible for X many years, was it Who you were or What you were? Was it something you Know is true like the earth going around the sun or when you took it at face value it didnt add up to how you oiriginally see reality outside indoctrination?

The formers, usually people dont change or disbelieve because the word is useless. Its like the earth/sun ex. How can one correctly disbelieve that? How can anyone have correct doubts? Is it based on reality?

In religion, what people believe is reality. Thats their perspective. When I read the Bible wt age 14, I wanted to be a nun and go to a covent then a priest. I lived in an atheist family; so, I was the old ball out.

Now I read the Bible and all I see it death. Its depressing. It bothers my soul. So I gave my bibles away. I kept the kjv for my grandmothers and the one I got at confirmation.

Those verses you gave, I dont see how they relate to your perspective and story of your deconversion. Explain?
I had never converted, so there was no deconversion.

I came to realisation that Matthew's interpretation of Isaiah is wrong.
  1. Wrong about it being the sign of the virgin birth.
  2. Wrong about it being the sign for a messiah.
  3. Wrong about the sign is about Jesus.

What Isaiah 7:14 have shown me is that Matthew (or whoever the real gospel author was) DID NOT include the whole sign, the whole sign is found in 7:14-17 and in 8:3-4, and it ignored the context in those 2 chapters (Isaiah 7 & 8).

That made me doubt the integrity of the Christian view. And if that interpretation is wrong, so might be a lot of others. After not reading or touching the bible for 14 years, reading the bible again in 2000, I read with fresher eye, without any bias of church teaching.

It is not just that one verse, Carlita, but it did get the ball rolling, having a domino-effect that made me question everything that I used to believe. What I thought I understood as a teenager, was wrong.

I think the other reason why I have doubt, is because I have experience that I didn't have as a teenager. Reading and researching ancient and medieval literature (for Timeless Myths), have allow me - (A) to analyse the texts I have been reading, (B) comparing different sources, either to verify or to distinguish the difference, (C) don't always believe in everything I read, question everything, investigate it (or what might former physics lecturer/tutor used to say to me, "dig deeper").

Do you want to know what I was arguing with my pastor about?

To put it simply, I knew nothing about church history when I was a teenager, so I didn't know anything about heresy or about Gnosticism. So when I came across about newspaper article about the Gospel of Thomas, which made me curious, so I went to the pastor who I thought was a friend, and ask him about this gospel that I have never heard of before. First, he got upset, then became mad at me, for asking about it. So he said that I was "lost" and that I would "burn in hell". No one was more surprise than me, when he went ballistic. So I had never join his church.

I was merely curious, and want to know why it isn't in the bible, I didn't know it was Gnostic text, but I was curious enough to want to read it. but after the argument, I forgot about it, and not long afterward, stop reading the bible. (I was also too busy with my studies at that time.)

I had only understand why he was angry with me, about 15 or so years later, when I found the translation of the Gospel of Thomas in a couple of books on the Nag Hammadi Library at the State Library, and found out about Gnosticism and the history of heresies. I had forgotten about the Gospel of Thomas, until I found in the library's catalogue.

Apparently he didn't like other religious texts, that questioned his faith, and he didn't like my curiosity or me questioning him about the banned book. But I had to wait for years before I understood why he was upset and angry with me.