• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "hard work" a virtue?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Possum.... Yeppers Ganny with her corn cob pipe has a purty good recipe for that right there.

It is an acquired taste that goes well with moonshine and barefoot, pregnant guests with no teeth.

You could argue (some) people in the U.S. are richer than people in the rest of the world primarily because of historical reasons, not because we have a superior economic system. The US started with a big pile of resources and land, and secure borders from foreign attack. WWII devastated all the major powers of the world, except the US, which saw no major fighting or bombing on its own soil. In the post-war period the US has filled the vacuum of the former British, French, and German empires. Today we have military forces across the globe and control, directly or indirectly, much of the world's wealth and energy resources (Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and then of course there is the entire Western hemisphere).

Given those facts, we might expect Americans to be richer than everybody else, even if we had a non-ideal, or somewhat unfair economic system. It would not surprise me at all if the average slave in ancient Rome was better off than the average Gaul, this does not necessarily mean the wealth the Romans had was being fairly or wisely used.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You are the one who opened the door about YOU and YOUR PERSONAL TAXES and what YOU would prefer to pay.

No, I didn't. All I said was what I'd rather pay. Of course, I'd rather pay 25% than 40%, but if it means getting good schools, good policing, good healthcare and a good government in general, I'd rather pay 40%. That's all I said.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
No, I didn't. All I said was what I'd rather pay. Of course, I'd rather pay 25% than 40%, but if it means getting good schools, good policing, good healthcare and a good government in general, I'd rather pay 40%. That's all I said.

That is real eazy to say from your perspective. Tax revenues are at historic lows. Too many folks get a free ride. Time for every American to cough it up or quit spending money we don't have!

Zephyr

Moved on
That is real eazy to say from your perspective. Tax revenues are at historic lows. Too many folks get a free ride. Time for every American to cough it up or quit spending money we don't have!

Of course tax revenues are low. Our economy is hurting and our tax rates are unsustainably low. It'd be a miracle if revenues weren't low.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

What are you talking about? I just said I wouldn't mind paying more, as long as I know I'm getting something for it. Please, at least read my comments before responding.

twinmama

Many German homes do not even have a toilet much less a refrigerator.
I would say that if you wanted to build a similar American style home in Germany it would cost you north of one million dollars.

Another point would be the homeless numbers.

Are we talking about the country in Europe - Germany? Because I am now totally confused by your claims. True that Eastern Germany is still somewhat behind west Germany but it is catching up. I just find your general claims strange.

There are many sites in english showing property for sale in Germany - both land and houses. Anyone can check the prices. And please do!

And what would be "American style house"?

In general Europeans don't build big houses just for bigness' sake. The more north you go, the more you have to think heating expencies. Also culturally speaking , people do not build huge houses with unnecessary rooms. The size does not matter, the comfy living conditions do.

Also...yes, housing prices are expencive in big cities - in Europe and in USA. How many of you have money to buy home (American style home)in San Francisco?Manhattan?

(still don't get the toilet thing though - and the AMERICAN article conveniently forgot to mention that most homeless people are illegal immigrants that Germany has a huge amount. Also people in USA probably have no idea in what conditions east Germany was when it was dumbed in the hands of west Germany, yes, there were lots of people in east Germany without homes. but..the fridge and toilet thing just doesn't add up. I have to ask this from my German friends since it is few years since my last visit there. )

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And what would be "American style house"?

In general Europeans don't build big houses just for bigness' sake. The more north you go, the more you have to think heating expencies. Also culturally speaking , people do not build huge houses with unnecessary rooms. The size does not matter, the comfy living conditions do.

Don't you get it? If you can't build a cheap new house on 2 acres of land with 3 completely unnecessary bedrooms, two unnecessary baths, an extra living room and an extra family (in addition to the ones you actually use), then your country obviously sucks. America's the only place in the world where you can build retardedly unnecessarily huge houses for absolutely no reason other than to show off, and that's what makes it great.

Mr Cheese

American houses use a lot more wood....

that seldom happens in europe, depending on which part you're in of course