• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God Observable?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I find this confusing. There is little difference in observation and experience. Anything we experience is an observation.
I guess I can agree with you. I guess I was struggling with what the OP meant by 'observable' and I am still not clear.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
If God is an actual thing, then can thing be observed given the lack of a form but not it's energy?

IMO yes because actions can be observed by their effects upon other things. Like the wind upon the leaves of a tree, or a vane. Or like a mind upon the course of someone's actions towards another.
We do not observe form. We observe energy and our brains interpret energy patterns as form. So yes a formless god, that exercised energy, could be observed. Note that observation is merely the conscious awareness of experience. Observation and experiences are one and the same, but to a different degree of awareness.

If god can be observed/experienced, then he could also be measured!!!@@!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I find this confusing. There is little difference in observation and experience. Anything we experience is an observation.

they are in fact synonyms

observation

experience

so now we only have to observe the result of a thing to know what this god might be, or the cause for such a result. love is like the butterfly effect, chaos theory. the higher law is love and we can be the ideal.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

To be is to be perceived. And so to know thyself is only possible through the eyes of the other. The nature of our immortal lives is in the consequences of our words and deeds that go on apportioning themselves throughout all time. Our lives are not our own; from womb to tomb, we are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness we birth our future.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If God is an actual thing, then can thing be observed given the lack of a form but not it's energy?

IMO yes because actions can be observed by their effects upon other things. Like the wind upon the leaves of a tree, or a vane. Or like a mind upon the course of someone's actions towards another.
It is up to you to decide either way.

roger1440

I do stuff

But unlike the wind, according to the Bible God interacts with people.

Akivah

As for the abstract, infinite and eternal are not concrete words like chair, pencil, and computer.

There are no 'concrete' words that can be used to describe G-d. G-d has no physical form.

But you're making eternal and infinite as if it's a special thing. It's not. How does that define a specific god?

It is a special thing. There is nothing else that we humans know of that is infinite and eternal. Since there is only One G-d, it is a specific G-d.

"because actions can be observed by their effects upon other things." and 'effects' can represent direct evidence, also called proof.

If the living, invisible God, omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent within his own
character and existence wishes to demonstrate his being perfectly and absolutely to the visible world, in such a way that tests and judges the hearts, minds and faith of men and women; who among you is fool enough to believe that he cannot reveal the means?

I can find nothing in the scriptural record to contradict the idea that such perfect absolute proof is not possible. It is only that existing religious claims don't have one to offer. What might be the consequences if such a proof for faith were ever revealed?
The Final Freedoms

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is a special thing. There is nothing else that we humans know of that is infinite and eternal. Since there is only One G-d, it is a specific G-d.

I don't get that. If you don't know, cant describe it, a mystery, and so forth than outside of sacred text, what is behind the placeholder for god?

Akivah

I don't get that. If you don't know, cant describe it, a mystery, and so forth than outside of sacred text, what is behind the placeholder for god?

I don't understand your question.

G-d can't be defined by human language, eternity and infinity are beyond our human comprehension. We can only say what G-d isn't.