• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gnostic Atheist different from Agnostic Atheist?

PureX

Veteran Member
Look at these two comments of yours together. First, you tell the world that truth is whatever one decides it is, and then you tell us your truth about how we all think. Of course, you use words like truth, subjective, belief, and knowledge differently than I do, and seem to come to conclusions that I would reject and as I have said before, find to be needlessly vague. I still don't really know what you mean by truth, for example, or subjective truth.
Of course. Why is this notable to you?

I experience and conceptualize the world differently than you do. I understand the human condition differently than you do. Fundamentally differently. Because I can, ... and because I find that it works this way. You can't understand this because you won't understand it. Your objective is to 'defeat' my way of experiencing and understanding existence whenever you see me expressing it because your way tells you there can only be one way: the right way. But you can't defeat my way because you can even grasp it. And you cant grasp it because you must defeat it.

So, I don't know what to tell you, buddy. There's a whole way of being that you don't get to understand or experience because you chose a way of being that doesn't allow for there to be any alternatives, and that won't even allow you to choose your way out of it. I'm sorry. But it kind of seems like you fell into a cult, or something.
If one has a strictly empirical epistemology, they all fall into place neatly.
That should have been a big red flag, right there. :) But if course, some folks really like and want everything to "fall neatly into place". They really like the feeling of presuming that they've got it all worked out. Or at least that they have the tools to get it all worked out. It's really not much different than turning your life over to the religious controller God and letting him run everything, and explain everything, and just following along.
Truth, belief, and knowledge are all defined in terms of repeatable experience, ...
Well, that just dumb. But if I try to explain to you why it's dumb, you will fight about every word I post, to keep from understanding or accepting the explanation. Because any explanation I give will have to be defeated, immediately. So there's no point any of this, really.

Audie

Veteran Member
There are videos, perhaps not evidence of what the objects' origins nor their purpose for being in US airspace. But it is evidence that things can defy physics (or how we understand it) none-the-less.

:D It's interesting, you should check it out. Look up the 'Sphere' 'Acorn' and 'Metallic Blimp' UAP videos that were leaked by U.S. Naval and Airforce pilots.

They were confirmed real footage of what was (quoting the Pentagon report) "unknown origins" and by a former member of the team investigating the phenomena, "Off-world vehicles not made on this Earth".

Woo woo, or U.S. DoD lies?
Hoonoze

Outer space monsters need better confirmation. Imo

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Then why bother with them? All "belief" is, is your own internal assumption that you are right about something you don't know to be right. So why bother? Why not let what you can know stand on it's own, and let what you don't know be a mystery. What need is there to "believe" anything? Let alone to believe it without the ability to choose?

Atheism is not a belief, it is the absence or lack of belief in any deity or deities, it need make no assumptions, only disbelieve them. What I know is that I have never seen any compelling argument or any objective evidence demonstrated for any deity, thus I disbelieve the claim. I disbelieve all unfalsifiable claims of course, it would irrational to believe them all, as this would inevitably involve contradictions, and biased to believe one or some, so I disbelieve them all as meaningless.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Yeah, being precise is such a drag on those willfully ignorant biases. :)
You could desist from deliberately misrepresenting other people's viewpoint, especially when they have done you the courtesy of precisely explaining it, and offer you that courtesy.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
My meaning for agnosticism is consistent with the chart below. What I mean when I call myself an agnostic (atheist) is what she means, "I don't know," not that the answer to the existence of gods is unknowable. It's logically possible that a deity will reveal itself some day:

lMqfSEa.jpg

Atheism makes no claim. Atheists claim that they are unconvinced that gods exist, and that therefore they have no belief that they do.

I stumbled across this very similar image, which is a little more specific in its placement of the four idealisms regarding theism/atheism and gnostic/agnostic:

R.1ff4c382c7eb97c576903f97633c6c15

I appreciate it, because it has the bubble for the implicit atheism, which is where most of my non-theist friends would probably fit, "I don't care, I don't have a horse in the race. Just don't push your beliefs on me." is the kind of sentiment I receive when I bring up the subject.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism is not a belief, it is the absence or lack of belief in any deity or deities, it need make no assumptions, only disbelieve them.
Yeah ... that's just BS. Atheists believe that every theist they've ever encountered was fooling themselves and trying to fool everyone else. Atheists believe that if gods existed, they would somehow be able to determine this from the "evidence". Atheists believe theism is just a world-view based on superstition. Atheism is NOT "unbelief". It's a very determined COUNTER-BELIEF. Too bad so few of them are willing to just be honest about it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your objective is to 'defeat' my way of experiencing and understanding existence whenever you see me expressing it because your way tells you there can only be one way: the right way. But you can't defeat my way because you can even grasp it. And you cant grasp it because you must defeat it.

I argue against faith-based thinking. I offer reasons why it is a mistake. It's not personal. It's not about trying to defeat you. Rejecting your arguments is not failing to grasp them.

you chose a way of being that doesn't allow for there to be any alternatives, and that won't even allow you to choose your way out of it. I'm sorry. But it kind of seems like you fell into a cult, or something.

You are correct. For me, there is no viable or fruitful alternative to empiricism. My cult is secular humanism and it's empiricist epistemology. It features critical thought. It redefined the world and ushered in modernity. And it informed my life choices. Why fix what isn't broken?

What do you know about my way of being? I've principally discussed with you my way of knowing what it true about the world. I've explained to you before how I use that knowledge to sculpt my way of being using the metaphor of the palette of nonrational conscious phenomena and the brush of reason to choose and arrange those colors to taste, but I don't recall telling you what that landscape looks like.

What do you think I want to "choose [my] way out of"? I live a stress-free life, which was the goal, one well supported by the secular humanist worldview, especially it's empiricist epistemology and rational moral theory based in utilitarianism and the Golden Rule. Be smart, be decent, and if you're not unlucky, you'll likely be happy. That's my way. What "alternatives" were you suggesting I look for? A nicer location to live? A happier home and marriage? More purpose? More beauty? Better weather? Less stress? I don't think that's possible.

some folks really like and want everything to "fall neatly into place". They really like the feeling of presuming that they've got it all worked out

Yep.

Well, that just dumb. But if I try to explain to you why it's dumb, you will fight about every word I post, to keep from understanding or accepting the explanation.

But you never explain yourself. You don't rebut. You merely disagree. You rarely acknowledge that you have read what was written, this being an exception, although your answer was no more useful than had you said nothing. But at least there's a reference to words written to you. Also, when I wrote, "Look at these two comments of yours together. First, you tell the world that truth is whatever one decides it is, and then you tell us your truth about how we all think," at least this time you wrote, "Of course. Why is this notable to you?" which suggests to me that you didn't understand my point about you contradicting yourself, and you will never address that, but you did refer to it.

Of course, there is the de rigueur personal insult that surfaces when you run out of better words.

You make claims that you don't support about what's available to those who will simply relax their standards and take the faith plunge. You imply that there's so much more to experience than my myopic worldview permits, but can never say what that is or why others should seek it. It's all pie in the sky. I've wondered to you why that is, but you also never answer that. Why do you continue insisting that you have something of value to others?

I've used the eyeglasses analogy a few times with you to demonstrate that just because a belief helps you doesn't mean others need that same help or would necessarily benefit form wearing a pair, also always ignored. Don't you feel any duty to acknowledge such comments with explicit agreement or a rebuttal if you disagree? Do feel that you have any responsibility to you collocutor, any responsibility to consider his arguments or answer his nonrhetorical questions, like this one?

There's a lot of material in this response. How much of it will you address responsively? Virtually every sentence here merits a good faith response from you. Every sentence deserves a rebuttal if you disagree with it, and an explicit expression of agreement where you agree. When you start doing that, you can call others dumb, but still shouldn't.

Audie

Veteran Member
I stumbled across this very similar image, which is a little more specific in its placement of the four idealisms regarding theism/atheism and gnostic/agnostic:

R.1ff4c382c7eb97c576903f97633c6c15

I appreciate it, because it has the bubble for the implicit atheism, which is where most of my non-theist friends would probably fit, "I don't care, I don't have a horse in the race. Just don't push your beliefs on me." is the kind of sentiment I receive when I bring up the subject.

Implicit will do.
I never thought there were real live dragons.

As i got older and noticed other religious
representations, I didn't take them any
more seriously than I do my kitchen god.

Ive burned ghost money as a matter of respect.
I dont think anyone gets to spend it in ghost- land.

Maybe someone could choose to believe
Kitchen God will report their sins to his Boss,
or that Grandma will like the ghost- Chanel bag
they burned for her.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yeah ... that's just BS. Atheists believe that every theist they've ever encountered was fooling themselves and trying to fool everyone else. Atheists believe that if gods existed, they would somehow be able to determine this from the "evidence". Atheists believe theism is just a world-view based on superstition. Atheism is NOT "unbelief". It's a very determined COUNTER-BELIEF. Too bad so few of them are willing to just be honest about it.

It would be too bad to see someone so filled with whatever it is driving their prejudice that they are reduced to such bsse and ignoble behaviour as to
pretend to know more about others than they know about themselves, say they are "stuoid" ,
" dumb" , " dishonest", chronically deceitful and other such assorted calumny as is made up to order.

It would be really quite embarrassing to behold such
and undignified display.
Imo, of course and in reference to no real person,
events etc.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My meaning for agnosticism is consistent with the chart below. What I mean when I call myself an agnostic (atheist) is what she means, "I don't know," not that the answer to the existence of gods is unknowable. It's logically possible that a deity will reveal itself some day:

lMqfSEa.jpg

Atheism makes no claim. Atheists claim that they are unconvinced that gods exist, and that therefore they have no belief that they do.
That is a good chart. I know I will have hell to pay for this but I just realized what I am. I am a Gnostic Theist! :)

I might post that chart on another forum where they are always arguing over the definition of an atheist!

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Atheism is not a belief, it is the absence or lack of belief in any deity or deities, it need make no assumptions, only disbelieve them.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It would be too bad to see someone so filled with whatever it is driving their prejudice that they are reduced to such bsse and ignoble behaviour as to
pretend to know more about others than they know about themselves, say they are "stuoid" ,
" dumb" , " dishonest", chronically deceitful and other such assorted calumny as is made up to order.

and undignified display.
events etc.

It's amusing really, to be called dishonest by someone who repeatedly tells me what I think, tells me that I don't know what I think, tells me that they know better than I do what I think, it's too too funny really. As hilarious as that person asking me why I want to take their belief away, and failing apparently to see any of the abundant irony. I can only offer bemusement as to why anyone is that threatened by someone not sharing their belief, and saying so. Especially since they choose to do it in a general debate forum, rather than in any of the multiple dedicated forums on here where they need not encounter any atheist, ever.

I have been racking my brains, and I can't think of any belief I hold, where it would vex me in the slightest to learn anyone didn't share it, and I have debated flat earthers and creationists.

Tiberius

Then why bother with them? All "belief" is, is your own internal assumption that you are right about something you don't know to be right. So why bother? Why not let what you can know stand on it's own, and let what you don't know be a mystery. What need is there to "believe" anything? Let alone to believe it without the ability to choose?

Well, I believe that my car is where I parked it. Are you suggesting I should not hold that belief?

I can see it now. I rush into a police station. "I don't know where my car is!"

"Okay," says the officer. "When was your car stolen?"

"Oh, I don't know if it has been stolen. I just don't KNOW where it is. I parked it in the carpark, and I imagine it is still there, but I don't KNOW that it is still there, so it could have been stolen for all I know."

"Sir, you know there are laws against wasting a police officer's time... Do you want to be arrested?"

Or maybe I should just assume that my car is where I left it until I have evidence otherwise, huh? Sure, I don't KNOW, but I can make a pretty well informed guess.

PureX

Veteran Member

and undignified display.
events etc.
Aren't you glad you got that all off your chest ... and so totally avoided the actually point of my post?

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, I believe that my car is where I parked it. Are you suggesting I should not hold that belief?
Yes. Why bother presuming you are right about where you think your car is. (And that therefor anyone contradicting that presumption must be wrong.) Why not just park the car, and see if it' there when you return? I don't see why we think we have to "believe or disbelieve" in everything just because we can't be certain.

PureX

Veteran Member
I argue against faith-based thinking. I offer reasons why it is a mistake. It's not personal. It's not about trying to defeat you. Rejecting your arguments is not failing to grasp them.
It is when it is clear that you do not understand the vast majority of faith-based process or thinking. And when I try to explain it to you, you fight tooth and nail NOT to understand it, because you much prefer your very narrow and negative current view.
You are correct. For me, there is no viable or fruitful alternative to empiricism. My cult is secular humanism and it's empiricist epistemology. It features critical thought. It redefined the world and ushered in modernity. And it informed my life choices. Why fix what isn't broken?
Because you can't learn anything when you can't be wrong. You've turned one way of cognating reality into a systemic tautology. Just like the inerrant Bible literalists do with their "God said so" method of cognating reality.
I've used the eyeglasses analogy a few times with you to demonstrate that just because a belief helps you doesn't mean others need that same help or would necessarily benefit form wearing a pair, also always ignored.
I agree. But you want to reject and discredit the help theism gives to others, too. Because your chosen world-view can't accept any other as being equally viable or successful.
There's a lot of material in this response. How much of it will you address responsively?
Only that which has any actual validity beyond your own biased misunderstanding. It's not my job to overcome your willful intention not to understand something, no matter how many times you ask for me to do so.
Virtually every sentence here merits a good faith response from you.
Every sentence has already been responded to many, many, times. But instead of trying to understand the response, you only want to fight with it, which is why you still don't understand. So what's the point, here? You're already convinced that your way is the only "real" way to cognate reality, and any other way is bogus nonsense. Which is why that's all you ever see.
Every sentence deserves a rebuttal if you disagree with it, ...
I don't disagree with it. I simply see and choose an alternative, more inclusive way.

Audie

Veteran Member
Aren't you glad you got that all off your chest ... and so totally avoided the actually point of my post?

The actual point of your post was yet another
display of prejudice and name calling.

Im far from the only one to notice the behaviour.

Consider my observations about it an argumentum ad unpopulum.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism is not a belief, it is the absence or lack of belief in any deity or deities

that's just BS. Atheists believe that every theist they've ever encountered was fooling themselves and trying to fool everyone else. Atheists believe that if gods existed, they would somehow be able to determine this from the "evidence". Atheists believe theism is just a world-view based on superstition. Atheism is NOT "unbelief". It's a very determined COUNTER-BELIEF.

You go on about how others are biased, obstinate, and unwilling to learn, yet you keep making the same mistakes. Please try to assimilate this seemingly simple idea: Atheism is not a belief or a belief system. Atheists have many beliefs, but none are derived from their unbelief in gods. If you disagree, please be specific abut what it is you disagree with and why you think the idea is wrong. I say that atheism is not a belief system after you list several beliefs common you feel are common to atheists. Can you explain why those beliefs derive from unbelief in gods?

My disesteem foo faith is not a result of my atheism. My atheism is a result of my disesteem for unjustified belief. Because I consider believing without sufficient justification an epistemological error, and because I don't want to make that error, and because the evidence for deities is sparse and insufficient to justify belief, I am an atheist.

I don't care for your hyperbolic language, so I'll reword some of it. This atheist believes that every theist is a faith-based thinker, and faith is not a path to truth. Atheists believe that if gods are to be accepted as real, there needs to be sufficient supporting evidence to justify that belief. Agnostic atheists specifically deny what you claim they believe, that if deities existed, there would be evidence for them. That's what the agnostic part means: can't rule gods out. Atheists who are critical thinkers believe that theism is a logical error based on the willingness to believe without sufficient evidence. This atheist has counter-beliefs, and an atheistic worldview, but it is not called atheism. It is secular humanism. In its affirmations one can find what this type of atheist believes, not in his atheism. My counter-belief to theistic ethics does not come from atheism. It comes from the rational ethics of humanism. My empiricist epistemology does not come from atheism. it precedes and underlies my atheism.

Look at how I did that without having to use one denigrating word like fool and superstition. You describe atheists as mean-spirited, contentious, stubborn and biased, closed-minded and unwilling to learn. Yet what you see from them is even-tempered exposition of the principles of critical thought, how theism violates them, and why atheists reject such thinking. Like others, I never feel a need to call you a fool or stupid, nor dishonest. I consider you wrong and with considerable barriers to learning what what you are told in these threads. I also consider you easily agitated and quick to anger. But that's a large fraction of the theists I encounter on these threads.

That's what happens when one promotes a faith-based belief in an open forum and attempts to defend it against the scrutiny of reason. The theist can't, and is likely unfamiliar with the methods and standards that his ideas are being subject to. He encounters this opposition nowhere else, is initially surprised to see it, and eventually comes to detest it. It confirms what many have been taught that atheists are basically immoral and disruptive by nature. He hears the skeptic calling him stupid when the skeptic tells him why unjustified belief is a logical error he chooses not to make. He finds unbelief in his gods disrespectful, and often imputes base motives for that unbelief, using terms like rebellious and hedonism.

But this isn't restricted to the religious faith-based thinker. Bring any such idea to the marketplace of ideas and expect it to be deconstructed according to the same principles of critical thought. Make a faith-based comment about vaccines, election hoax, flat earth, climate denial - whatever - it will be received the same way, and will proceed down the same path beginning with a confident, optimistic and cheery presented of a flawed argument, who then becomes frustrated ("You can't disprove God" or "NASA is falsifying spherical earth reports" or "How do you know that stegosaurus fossil reports from scientists aren't fake"), and then emotional ("You think you're so smart. You'll see when your time comes" or You're a sheep" or "You're a communist" )

Tip: When you find yourself wanting to insult your audience, don't. It may give you some brief satisfaction, but it diminishes you.

Too bad so few of them are willing to just be honest about it.

You seem to be unable to see dissent in terms other than lying. I just finished rebutting your claim that atheism is a worldview and a counter-argument of some sort yet again, and already know that you will see that as dishonesty, not as a difference of opinion, but in terms of a moral defect. Too bad so few of us can be honest and agree with you.

you do not understand the vast majority of faith-based process or thinking.

You've think that you've got atheists figured out - exactly what they believe - yet consider them unable to understand the depth and complexity of faith-based thought like yours.

you want to reject and discredit the help theism gives to others

Nope. Not true. How many times have I told you that I think your version of theism is helpful to you, like eyeglasses to someone with impaired refraction, that I don't care what you believe any more than the man next door baying at the moon shaking a stick at it if it grounds him and gives his life meaning, and that if I had the power to change your mind about gods, I would not do that to you any more than I would step on your glasses?

My position has always been that that doesn't work for me, not that you should give it up.

The harm that theism does to some is another topic, but that some benefit from a god belief is not in dispute.

Incidentally, if one calls the mystery of existence God, but doesn't mean any more than an atheist would mean by that phrase, specifically, is not implying sentience or supernaturalism to that mystery, is he a theist, and does he hold unjustified beliefs (faith) because he uses language that way? Also, does this apply to you? Is it possible that your position isn't fundamentally different from the skeptics, but rather, that you use words like God and faith to describe it where the skeptic wouldn't? I'm not clear on what you believe about reality that I don't. I was about to write that I don't think that theism has harmed you. Au contraire. But then I got to thinking that I'm not sure that I should call you a theist just because you use the word God, since you don't seem to mean a sentient deity. I suspect that you hope its sentient, or suspect that it is, but don't assume it. If so, I don't see a deity or faith in that. What do you think?

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Yes. Why bother presuming you are right about where you think your car is. (And that therefor anyone contradicting that presumption must be wrong.)

A belief need not involve any presumption, I believe the world is not flat, nor that it is at the centre of the universe. You are making a common mistake I see may theists make, that beliefs are all the same, when then demonstrably are not. It is a simple fact, that humans cannot function without forming beliefs about the world.

Why not just park the car, and see if it' there when you return?

How is that mutually exclusive with his belief that his car will be where he left it? Testing the world around us is how we form beliefs about it, and this starts at birth. Do you ever find yourself wondering if you need to eat and drink, or if you can just ignore hunger and thirst and stop doing it?

I don't see why we think we have to "believe or disbelieve" in everything just because we can't be certain.

Who ever said we do?

Yazata

The way the words have traditionally been used in academic philosophy of religion is like this:

Atheism is an ontological position, a position regarding what does and doesn't exist, namely the position that 'God' (whatever that word means) doesn't exist.

Agnosticism is an epistemological position, a position regarding what can and can't be known, namely the position that the ultimate secret of the universe is unknown.

Since atheism and agnosticism are two different cognitive dimensions so to speak, it's possible to have permutations of them.

1. Gnostic atheism - somebody who takes the position that it can be known that God doesn't exist.

2. Agnostic atheism - somebody who takes the position that the secret of the universe/'God' isn't known, so whatever the ultimate answer is doesn't play a role in their view of reality.

3. Gnostic theism - somebody who takes the position that they know that God exists.

4. Agnostic theism - somebody who takes the position that some transcendent Source does exist but that it can't be known in any cognitive way, reduced to human concepts or whatever.

(This last one might seem counterintuitive to many, but it's common in the history of religions. We see it in some varieties of Hinduism (Brahman beyond words and concepts), in the more neoplatonic strands of Christianity and Islam, and in many of the world's contemplative traditions.)

Last edited: