• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gnostic Atheist different from Agnostic Atheist?

questfortruth

1. Gnostic Atheist says: "I think, there is no God (because there is no proof of God)."
2. Agnostic Atheist says: "I do not believe, that there is God."

The gnostic atheist does declare Lord nonexistent,
but without a proof of the major claim of atheism.

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
But is it lack of knowledge as well?

What is this belief?

It is conviction, assurance, that there is no God.

So, there is no much different to say:
1. "I think, there is no God (because there is no proof of God)."
2. "I do not believe, that there is God."
3. "I believe, that there is no God."

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
1. Gnostic Atheist says: "I think, there is no God (because there is no proof of God)."

What is this belief?

1. Is really stupid, those must be rare

2 and 3 are different by being word game theists like to play.

Is there even a little bitty chance you guys could
just accept " i dont believe..."?

Like if someone said outer space monsters ate NYC you would say. " i dont believe it"?

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

What is this belief?

And?

PureX

Veteran Member

What is this belief?

The gnostic atheist says, "I do not believe gods exist because, if they did, I (we) would know it".

The agnostic atheist says, "I do not know if any gods exist or not, but I am choosing to presume that they do not".

I hope that helps.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

What is this belief?

Atheism isn't just about God-with-a-capital-G. An atheist doesn't believe in any gods.

Audie

Veteran Member
The gnostic atheist says, "I do not believe gods exist because, if they did, I (we) would know it".

The agnostic atheist says, "I do not know if any gods exist or not, but I am choosing to presume that they do not".

I hope that helps.

Its the theists who routinely deceive
themselves with "choosing " to believe.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What is this belief?

The agnostic atheist doesn't believe in gods, but doesn't declare them impossible or nonexistent. The gnostic atheist does declare them nonexistent.

Agnosticism is a position between believing that something is true and believing something is not true. Maybe an analogy will help using trusting a person rather than a belief in gods. When one first meets a person, does he trust them? Generally, no. Does he distrust him? No, he just has no evidence that the person is trustworthy, but well may be and he knows it. It's not distrust, as in knowing that somebody will cheat or disappoint you. We can call it untrust, or the absence of trust or distrust. Perhaps with time, we learn that the person actually cannot be trusted. We never did trust him, because we had no evidence that he was trustworthy, but out untrust, or agnosticism regarding his trustworthiness, became distrust.

And we can apply this same nomenclature to belief in gods and call unbelief the middle or agnostic position, in which one neither believes nor disbelieves, and call the rejection that gods exist disbelief, as in I think you're wrong that gods exist.

Understanding this distinction seems to be an insurmountable hurdle for many theists despite, despite repeating what seems to be a clear and straightforward description of that difference multiple times. One more time then: The agnostic atheist doesn't believe in gods, but doesn't declare them impossible or nonexistent. The gnostic atheist does declare them nonexistent.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Agnosticism is a position between believing that something is true and believing something is not true.
No, agnosticism is the positive stance that the correct answer is unknowable.

Agnosticism isn't just "I don't know;" it's "we can't know."

Weak agnosticism is "we can't know right now (based on the current state of our knowledge)" and strong agnosticism is "we can't ever know (based on some inherent characteristic of god-claims)."

PureX

Veteran Member

Weak agnosticism is "we can't know right now (based on the current state of our knowledge)" and strong agnosticism is "we can't ever know (based on some inherent characteristic of god-claims)."
Agnosticism is the state of being undetermined do to a lack of sufficient information. The reasons for the insufficient information may vary, or be unexpressed.

Atheism, however, like theism, is a choice. Regardless of the information available, or the lack of it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What is this belief?

And again.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

My meaning for agnosticism is consistent with the chart below. What I mean when I call myself an agnostic (atheist) is what she means, "I don't know," not that the answer to the existence of gods is unknowable. It's logically possible that a deity will reveal itself some day:

lMqfSEa.jpg

But without a proof of the major claim of atheism.

Atheism makes no claim. Atheists claim that they are unconvinced that gods exist, and that therefore they have no belief that they do.

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-15_9-3-51.jpeg
    upload_2022-3-15_9-3-51.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What is this belief?

My position is that there might be a God, IDK.
That if there exists a God, then the attributes of this God is beyond all human knowledge.
That people who claimed knowledge of God were other folks like myself that were fooled into thinking they had a line of communication with God by their own unconscious mind.
IOW, I see no reason to trust those claiming to be prophets of God.

So for myself, agnostic in that there is imo, no trustworthy knowledge about a God, atheist in that since no reliable knowledge about God exists there is nothing claimed about that is God worthy of belief.

Audie

Veteran Member
Agnosticism is the state of being undetermined do to a lack of sufficient information. The reasons for the insufficient information may vary, or be unexpressed.

Atheism, however, like theism, is a choice. Regardless of the information available, or the lack of it.

Do you choose not to believe in Atlantis,
flying saucers and bigfoot?
Serious question.

Nimos

What is this belief?

There is no difference between these 3.

Agnostic Atheism is the lack of believe in a God(s). So it is not a claim of knowledge.

Said in another way, if you asked me, "Do you believe in God?" I would answer "No"

I wouldn't say, "I know there is no God" that would be a claim of knowledge.

Its no different than me asking you if you believe in unicorns, obviously they could live somewhere in the Universe, but given the current evidence, there is no good reason for you to assume that unicorns exist. And therefore answering that you don't believe in unicorns is fine. That is equal to the atheists position.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you choose not to believe in Atlantis,
flying saucers and bigfoot?
Serious question.
I don't believe much of anything. Honestly. Belief is just the pretense of our own righteousness, and I can't see how that really helps me beyond satiating my ego. I don't even "believe in" God. I simply trust in the idea of "God" that I have formulated for myself, when it's helpful, because it's helpful. If you want to have a serious conversation with me, you're going to have to get your head above the childish level of "belief". And enter the realm of practical faith. If you can't do that, you're not going to understand anything I say.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My meaning for agnosticism is consistent with the chart below.
Well, I disagree with the chart, too. Don't get me started about how wonky it is to use the word "gnostic" to describe atheists, or on framing theism & atheism only in terms of monotheism.

... but even your chart uses the phrase "we can't know."

What I mean when I call myself an agnostic (atheist) is what she means, "I don't know," not that the answer to the existence of gods is unknowable. It's logically possible that a deity will reveal itself some day:

lMqfSEa.jpg
The term "agnostic" is fairly unique in that:

- it was coined recently by one person.
- that person described exactly what the word means.

... so let's go with that.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

What is this belief?

Atheism is the lack or absence of belief in any deity or deities, agnosticism is the belief that nothing is known, or can be known, about (a) god.

You seem to be torturing these definitions to fit your own bias against atheism. Who knows why you care how an atheist arrives at their atheism, it doesn't lend any credence to theism, even an atheist tosses a coin to get there.