• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Eh... I used to listen to a lpt of rap, but I just did my own personal boycott for the very reason that it degrades women(and other things). I also don't buy games that are like that. Though I did wanna get Lolipop Chainsaw haha. But I didn't...

That one's actually comparatively progressive, believe it or not.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Get them to knock it off, for one thing. Trust me: we're working on it.

But I'm not just talking about their depiction of women. I'm also talking about the way girls are treated by other male gamers. Sexual hostility and harassment is a major problem in this subculture.

I am hoping you are not talking about some sort of censorship o.o ....

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Lol. Well she's an attractive lady. I'm sure some sickos did say some comments to her that have to do with her physixal features. But what can you really say about a guy? I guess some girls can say, "he's so hot. Id do him". Idk lol. But personally, I see men being more vocal about that stuff. What have people said her about her!? Just wondering.

I dont remember the exact wording on this particular incident but reference was made to her small breasts, big thighs and red box...thats the first one that comes to mind.

Being asked if her male partner was gay was another comment recently but I am not sure if it was meant as an insult to her or an insult about him.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I am hoping you are not talking about some sort of censorship o.o ....

Censorship shouldn't be necessary. Server owners and companies should be allowed to make their own rules as to what can and can't be said in their hosted games, but I'd never advocate in-game harassment being made illegal, as long as threats aren't being made (which are illegal in any situation.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Hey! Knock yourself out :p

You have to posible things to do.

One, do games where no one is seen sexually. Two, do games in which both male and female characters are equally hotified for the camera.

Actually, there's a third option: portray people as people.

In real life, there's people who look and dress flirtatiously and people who don't. There's nothing wrong with portraying both types side by side, as long as neither is being done for the sake of tokenism.

Pagan_Patriot

I dont remember the exact wording on this particular incident but reference was made to her small breasts, big thighs and red box...thats the first one that comes to mind.

Being asked if her male partner was gay was another comment recently but I am not sure if it was meant as an insult to her or an insult about him.

Hahaha :p. Well it's ok. Some of us have a thing for women leaders. Plus, I find her physically attractive too. And that accent.... When she says "mr slipper" in that video, it was kinda funny.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Let's not forget statements that indicates she was less a woman because she was "barren" although I believe that was an Aussie radio m.c. Sort of the rush Limbaugh of Australia if I understood correctly.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

She's always in control of the situation, and the player never feels the need to protect her, since she can protect herself (she wields a freaking chainsaw, after all.)

Compare that to Other M or the women portrayed in the Witcher games.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

In real life, there's people who look and dress flirtatiously and people who don't. There's nothing wrong with portraying both types side by side, as long as neither is being done for the sake of tokenism.

There are a lot of games with sexual and non sexual characters. It depends on the character and the purpose of the characters. I see the non sexual characters who kick but as being totally hot lol.

Me Myself

Back to my username

That sounds like the second option.

Pagan_Patriot

She's always in control of the situation, and the player never feels the need to protect her, since she can protect herself (she wields a freaking chainsaw, after all.)

Compare that to Other M or the women portrayed in the Witcher games.

Ooh ypu mean like she's not a damsel in distress? She does have a really short skirt though. I don't wanna sound like an "old fat white man", but I would imagine a more modest dress code for a charecter who is there to empower women. Not just being another sex symbol like Cammy. Oh Cammy... ;P

Me Myself

Back to my username
Ooh ypu mean like she's not a damsel in distress? She does have a really short skirt though. I don't wanna sound like an "old fat white man", but I would imagine a more modest dress code for a charecter who is there to empower women. Not just being another sex symbol like Cammy. Oh Cammy... ;P

Thats completely stupid. I am not sure if you have noticed, but sexual appeal is a big form of power.

If you have a lot of power and you are sexy, you have even more power because you are sexy. Either sex.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

It's why I said "comparatively." It's still no Beyond Good and Evil or Metroid Prime.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Thats completely stupid. I am not sure if you have noticed, but sexual appeal is a big form of power.

If you have a lot of power and you are sexy, you have even more power because you are sexy. Either sex.

It's a different form. Some people find being less sexy more empowering.

I'm certainly not in favor of getting rid of sexy characters altogether. It'd just be nice to see more than a small handful of alternatives, you know?