• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
This has come up in a few threads I've been spying on so I thought I'd give it its own thread. So basically do you feel that feminism as a movement is still needed in the united states? Why or why not?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Probably should define exactly the kind of feminism we're talking about, so there's absolutely no ambiguity.

Pagan_Patriot

Hey ur from the Bay Area nice :p. Socal is better though :p.

On topic though, it depends what you mean by feminism. What right are women lacking that you feel is unjust?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We should replace it with peoplism, since there are gender related issues for all 5 sexes.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
This has come up in a few threads I've been spying on so I thought I'd give it its own thread. So basically do you feel that feminism as a movement is still needed in the united states? Why or why not?

Yes and no. I think it should be renamed to reflect equally for both sexes, not just one.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Yes. Here's why it's still relevant:

1) Protect reproductive rights
2) Lily Ledbetter Fair Wage Act
3) Combat ignorance portrayed by the likes of Todd Akin and "legitimate rape"
4) Oh, and while on that subject...combat rape culture.
5) Violence Against Women Act
6) Combat ****-shaming
7) And finally, if my 14-year-old daughter says she wants to be President some day, I'd like to be able to look at her in the eyes and say there's a real possibility she could be.

On point #7, given that female politicians like Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton are judged more harshly for how they dress, their hair, their voices, than what they actually stand for makes me wonder just how likely it is that a woman can be voted in as President of the U.S. currently.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
To define feminism i would just go by the standard dictionary definition of it being a political and social movement fighting for equal treatment of women

As for those who claim it should be given a more gender nuetral name, why should it when the primary focus of the movement is WOMEN'S rights and making sure that women are given the same treatment and opportunities that men already receive?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
That being the case...as long as thre is inequality there is still a need for feminism movements.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yes. Here's why it's still relevant:

1) Protect reproductive rights
2) Lily Ledbetter Fair Wage Act
3) Combat ignorance portrayed by the likes of Todd Akin and "legitimate rape"
4) Oh, and while on that subject...combat rape culture.
5) Violence Against Women Act
6) Combat ****-shaming
7) And finally, if my 14-year-old daughter says she wants to be President some day, I'd like to be able to look at her in the eyes and say there's a real possibility she could be.

On point #7, given that female politicians like Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton are judged more harshly for how they dress, their hair, their voices, than what they actually stand for makes me wonder just how likely it is that a woman can be voted in as President of the U.S. currently.

I think I am not following something, the act against violence whatever act combats just violence against women or does it demand an equal in seerity treatment for domestic abuse by women to men or by women to women or by men to men?

I am also curious, how many woman try to pursue a political carreer and in your opinion fail because voters give her less credibility simply because fo being women?

Pagan_Patriot

Don't men get murdered more than womwn in this country? Why not have a "stop violence" campaigne instead of just focus on violence against women? Every year, thousands of men in the US are murdered.

What is **** shaming?? Lol...

Women can be president... Heck, mayne Hillary Clinton could have won, but she dropped out and gave her support for the O remember? We can't blame society for that... She chose to drop out.... Women have the same change to win as men. Give me a woman candidate that shares my values, and I'll give her
My vote.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Don't men get murdered more than womwn in this country? Why not have a "stop violence" campaigne instead of just focus on violence against women? Every year, thousands of men in the US are murdered.

Women can be president... Heck, mayne Hillary Clinton could have won, but she dropped out and gave her support for the O remember? We can't blame society for that... She chose to drop out.... Women have the same change to win as men. Give me a woman candidate that shares my values, and I'll give her
My vote.

Yes, the suicides rates for men are also way higher.

About women politicians, I honestly doubt people would not vote for a candidate that makes sense to them because she is a woman.

You have a black president, give people some credit for Waldo's sake.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

My vote.

Depends on circumstance. There is a lot of domestic related murders of women than men if get what I mean. Its a bit difference than people get murdered in general.

Kinda like naming and shaming I guess.

We have a woman PM and there has been quite a bit of sexist stuff going on recently leading up to elections. Kinda disgusting tbh.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Depends on circumstance. There is a lot of domestic related murders of women than men if get what I mean. Its a bit difference than people get murdered in general.

Kinda like naming and shaming I guess.

We have a woman PM and there has been quite a bit of sexist stuff going on recently leading up to elections. Kinda disgusting tbh.

Arent the shelters available for men being abused dramatically less than the ones for women in the UK even when the stats of abuse are ve close to half anf half when it comes to who abuses who?

I think organisations to protect men's rights are needed.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Arent the shelters available for men being abused dramatically less than the ones for women in the UK even when the stats of abuse are ve close to half anf half when it comes to who abuses who?

I think organisations to protect men's rights are needed.

I am from Australia so I have no idea what happens in the UK in regards to that.

From what I am aware, there are mens shelters here but they are less than that of women because there is more need for ones for women.