• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is everything relative? The "Prime Directive" is evil

Jeremiah

Our women are raped.
Our minorities are enslaved.
Our children are abused.
Our people are lacking in modern health care.

I wonder when the civilized people will come to deliver us from our culture.

"I wonder when the civilized people will come to deliver us from our culture."

I pray everyday for the flying saucers to come take me away.

Kerr

"I wonder when the civilized people will come to deliver us from our culture."

I pray everyday for the flying saucers to come take me away.
But beware, they may be green lizards in disguise who wants to eat you!

(V reference.)

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

According to the Baha'i scriptures, ALMOST everything is relative! I quote:

Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof. Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth.
Gleanings, LXXXI, p. 187
Best! :)

Bruce

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its unrealistic to expect a native tribe to make a transition from an isolated communal life in the deep jungle to modern life. the idea that modern civilizations are somehow more moral is questionable on many levels, only in the last century dozens of millions were perished inside and around the heart of European culture. we still live in a dog eat dog world on many levels, native tribes may at least have the moral and communal dynamics which support the individual inside their society without the web of complexities of the modern world. without people contaminating their spiritual visions, their delicate relations with the forest, and without erasing their culture with progress.

Soga

You say the doctors would treat (previously unknown diseases) at a discount price. Unless the first contact with the outside world is a CDC team in full biological isolation suits the chances are good no villager would survive long enough for a doctor to come. But lets set that aside for now.

And how are the villagers going to pay for treatment, even at the discount price you mention? The village probably has no idea of money. Are you going to build a school to teach the western concept of "money" before treating the diseases killing the village? Or are the doctors going to accept barter goods? If so what would be acceptable? Gems? Wood? Animal skin?

Ok Say contact is made, then what? They don't have the knowledge to even integrate into any "civilized" society. Should we make them dependt on forms of welfare? The adults will never be able to learn how to exist in modern society. Should we just kill all the adults and put the children in "schools" to learn how to exist in our society, robbing them of their cultural identity? It's not that far fetched, look how Americans treated American Indians.

As to your first question, "Is it all relative" I would say "yes" to a certian extent. You mentioned things like rape and child abuse that you say are examples of actions that every culture holds as "bad." However not ever society views these actions as evil. I can not think of a single act that is viewed as "evil" or "wrong" in every society. Even cannibalism and incest are accepted in some cultures. Are you going to tell these societies they are "bad?"

In order for one culture or society to be "bad" or "good" there must be some Supreme Moral/Ethical Judge. For many people they view morality and ethics through the lens of religion. But again you come back to the issue of which religion (or other moral/ethical system) has the final authority of "goodness."

From your post it sounds if you have set yourself up as judge of all cultures. I missed the ballot where you were elected, because I'd have put myself on that ballot.:D

You call the village a hellhole because they don't have modern amenities, but if i remember from my anthoropoly course, most hunter gatherer societies only work approx 10 hours out of the week to secure food. Most people in a "civilazied" have to work 40-60 hours per work to earn enough money to support their family. Additionally many hunter gathers are egalitarian, which can be argued to be the most fair way to distribute wealth.

You mention medicine and disease they can't heal. We suffer those in the most advanced societies in the world. The level of treatment you receive is entirely dependent on you level of wealth. Unless you believe that a street bum receives the same level of care as say Bill Gates (one of the richest men in the world). But what about the average person? They only receive treatment up the level of their health-care plan. With meany diseases this only prolongs the inevitable. I remember a study that concludes that many "primitive" societies do not suffer the same diseases that "modern" cultures do. Their diet is entirely organic, and they don't come into contact with the contaminates that we do. I acknowledge that are some conditions that we could probably treat better than could. But does the harm of "contact" out weigh the few positives we could bring?

And we circle back to the position of who gets to decide that? So yes it is relative.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You forgot the period and it should be you're.

it is rather interesting how those who try so hard to convince others of their superior intellect end up being the ones who show just how ignorant they truly are.

Alceste

Vagabond
Deep in the jungle of South America, there exists a tribe of uncivilized people.

They have had no contact with the modern world.

Should we leave them alone, unspoiled by modern influences?
There was an episode of Star Trek where Worf's brother saved a small village from certain destruction.

The brother couldn't care less about the Prime Directive, but Roddenberry's crew of the Enterprise were going crazy at how terrible it was to risk 'contaminating' their culture. They didn't even want to debate the matter, it was PC to believe in the Prime Directive, the only question was, why was Worf's brother so crazy as to violate it? Was he sick? Sociopathic? Why was he betraying Worf's honor by saving these few hundred people from certain death? Why didn't he feel ashamed at what he was doing?

May I humbly suggest you look at the real world results of the "civilization" of indigenous people rather than episodes of Star Trek before reaching your ethical conclusions.

Well, from my survey of history, the further back into history you go, the more evil the cultures are.

Rome was facinating, but it was a nation of theives and slave masters. Sparta, boasting of democracy, had nine slaves for every single Spartan.
How exactly do you believe we are different? Has the West put a stop to rape, exploitation, warfare, superstition, slavery, ignorance or any of the "evils" of more primitive cultures? On the contrary, we have exported exploitation, superstition and warfare on an unprecedented scale - so enthusiastically that we risk destroying most of the forms of life currently living on this planet, including ourselves.
A society which rapes each other is worse, morally worse, than a society which does not.

If a missionary went in and changed a rape society into one that does not rape, then things have 'gotten better'.
Maybe Klingon missionaries are exceptionally well-behaved, but here on Earth, when indigenous people fall under the influence of the Christian church, the missionaries do the bulk of the raping.

Do you think that morality is relative, what they do over there is just as legitimate as anywhere else, it's only a matter of perspective?
I think people should be left alone unless they request help. It has nothing to do with whose culture is "superior". IMO, the desire to forcefully export your own culture to others is shameless hubris, ignorance and arrogance, and deeply immoral in and of itself. If you want to find somebody to pull up out of the darkness, start by looking in the mirror.

look3467

Premium Member
But, if we could save her, give her a real live choice, a safe and secure choice to be religious or not, we are morally obligated to do so.

Because we were not given a choice as to the time, to whom, and or where we were to be born to, makes all of us of the same.

Those born in remote areas of the world had no choice either.

So, my understanding of who God is, via the bible, I understand we have a responsibility to our brothers and sisters.

The terms Brothers and sisters is a term used to denote that under the creative work and the salvation work of God, we are brothers and sisters and encouraged to love one another, our enemies.

God planted the tree of knowledge of good and evil as a staple in the human element, giving us the ability to exercise it at will.

So the potential for evil will always exist and our responsibility to subdue it.

here and everywhere.

Blessings, AJ

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The same old story....

Inuit Elder (to Missionary)- I am a good moral man who honers his elders, respects others, provides for my family...if I had not heard of your God, would my soul have been in jeopardy?
Missionary- No, God will not punish you if you are a moral person who has never heard of him.
Inuit Elder- But now that you have told me of your God, I must accept him, or else my soul will be in jeopardy?
Missionary- Yes, now you have to make a choice.
Inuit Elder- Why did you tell me?

look3467

Premium Member
A free gift is available for the taking.........that is if you happen to know about it!

But if not, it's still yours cept you won't get to collect till you expire.

That's it!

Blessings, AJ

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Ok, say it's not some previously untouched society in the middle of the Amazon. Say it's some tribe in Ethiopia who knows about us and we know about them, but they've largely kept their culture and we've largely left them alone. We know that they practice female circumcision. Is it unethical to try to persuade them to abandon this practice? Is it unethical to not try to persuade them?

Last edited: