• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is eating meat moral depravity?

Eating meat is:

• I lean towards saying it is immoral, sinful, or unethical

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I do not find it sinful, immoral, or unethical at all!

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I was at a foster home and got attached to the cows and pigs that I feed grain to and pet, and let them sniff and lick me, respond to affectionate, feed them lots of grain and goodies.

Then I watched my foster Father put a bullet through their eyes. The animal falls to the ground convulsing. My foster Father's brother proceeds to slit my affectionate friend (that I got so attached to) throat, and blood squirting everywhere like crazy. :(

How do people that do that all the time sleep at night? Slaughterhouses are a lot worse and far more cruel to animals!

And I found it very interesting, a 22 that he was using did not make very much noise. And yet cows that were in a totally different section that was fenced off a long ways away, would react with shock and run and jump around, when another animal gets executed.

It's like they can sense that someone died,
because it's not like the noise was that loud. When I target practice for instance, they don't run around all wild like that, but when one of their friends dies they do. Why do you think that is?? I've actually really wondered. It was really fascinating actually.

Animals feel pain and get scared. It's very sad.

But is eating meat morally wrong in your opinion? God actually commands the lamb to be eaten, and it's blood to be smeared on door posts.

God commands animals to be sacrificed and burned , just because....so, God seems okay with it.

You??

How do people sleep at night and work as a butcher is beyond me!
GettyImages-586714878.jpg
download (8).jpeg
download (9).jpeg
images (58).jpeg

Choose the best answer in the poll. What would Saint Paul McCartney do?

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think its the right thing to do. As a kid, I'd sit at the table and bawl because of the fact of where my meal came from...

I understand some people don't have any choice(being in impoverished areas), but I live in a place that affords me many options, and I feel I should take them.

God commands animals to be sacrificed and burned , just because....so, God seems okay with it.

I assume you're talking about Jehovah, and I really don't care what he has to say.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't think its the right thing to do. As a kid, I'd sit at the table and bawl because of the fact of where my meal came from...

I understand some people don't have any choice(being in impoverished areas), but I live in a place that affords me many options, and I feel I should take them.

I assume you're talking about Jehovah, and I really don't care what he has to say.
I often find myself in facilities where you either eat the meat they serve, or you go malnourished, the cooked food goes in the trash, the meat is paid for, so you go malnourished, and you don't help animals at all, because you are not lessening the demand for meat.

So, it makes sense to eat the meat, in that condition. Because when I am malnourished, I can have mental illness and rage/psychosis.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I was at a foster home and got attached to the cows and pigs that I feed grain to and pet, and let them sniff and lick me, respond to affectionate, feed them lots of grain and goodies.

Then I watched my foster Father put a bullet through their eyes. The animal falls to the ground convulsing. My foster Father's brother proceeds to slit my affectionate friend (that I got so attached to) throat, and blood squirting everywhere like crazy. :(

How do people that do that all the time sleep at night? Slaughterhouses are a lot worse and far more cruel to animals!

And I found it very interesting, a 22 that he was using did not make very much noise. And yet cows that were in a totally different section that was fenced off a long ways away, would react with shock and run and jump around, when another animal gets executed.

It's like they can sense that someone died, because it's not like the noise was that loud. When I target practice for instance, they don't run around all wild like that, but when one of their friends dies they do. Why do you think that is?? I've actually really wondered. It was really fascinating actually.

But is eating meat morally wrong in your opinion? God actually commands the lamb to be eaten, and it's blood to be smeared on door posts.

You??

How do people sleep at night and work as a butcher is beyond me!View attachment 59870 View attachment 59871 View attachment 59872 View attachment 59873

It feels immoral to me.
Not based on any religious tradition.
Well maybe influenced a bit by druidic ideas.

Hard IMO to identify exactly where our moral feelings are derived.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
We are evolved to eat a wide variety of foods, including meat, as can be discerned from out dentition and our digestive system.

If it were really immoral to eat meat, why would we permit carnivores to live, and eat the meat we think should be saved? There is such a thing as a natural world.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It feels immoral to me.
Not based on any religious tradition.
Well maybe influenced a bit by druidic ideas.

Hard IMO to identify exactly where our moral feelings are derived.
Cool beans!:cool::thumbsup:

People that checked option number 2.... They know who they are! Do they know compassion, empathy, and pity? Who knows?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was raised on a farm. A milk farm but we also had some fowl for eggs and meat. I have slaughtered a chicken or few in in my time. I think as I've aged such an action would now upset me through I don't know for sure because its something ive not done for over 30 years.
However i do eat meat and yes, i know precisely how it gets to the table.

Is it sinful? I have no god therefore i cannot sin.

Is it moral? This of course depends on the person but personally i don't think morality comes in to it.

Deprived? Cook me a nice jucy, rare ribeye steak and I'll tell you

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I often find myself in facilities where you either eat the meat they serve, or you go malnourished, the cooked food goes in the trash, the meat is paid for, so you go malnourished, and you don't help animals at all, because you are not lessening the demand for meat.

So, it makes sense to eat the meat, in that condition. Because when I am malnourished, I can have mental illness and rage/psychosis.

It sounds to me like you're just doing what you need to. You're not presented with many options. I don't find any fault in this.

We are evolved to eat a wide variety of foods, including meat, as can be discerned from out dentition and our digestive system.

If it were really immoral to eat meat, why would we permit carnivores to live, and eat the meat we think should be saved? There is such a thing as a natural world.

If humans were meant to eat meat, it would be what a human could naturally take down. We don't have the claws, teeth, or muscle mass to take down a cow or pig. If we were meant to eat meat, it would probably be vermin...

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I understand that it is hard for some people to bear, but I'm under the impression that it is an important part of our diet. (Although, we eat too much meat in the US). Heme-iron is an important physiological nutrient.

I find that prayers for the animals killed, to be an important way to help with feelings, and to pay respect to the deceased.

We need to remember that life is a balance, anything we take (like a life), needs to be offset by an equal contribution back to the environment.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If humans were meant to eat meat, it would be what a human could naturally take down. We don't have the claws, teeth, or muscle mass to take down a cow or pig. If we were meant to eat meat, it would probably be vermin...

Our first meat eating ancestors were scavengers. Eating of the kills of other animals. Chimpanzees eat and kill other animals including chimps too, so it seems that claws/teeth aren't necessary.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I understand that it is hard for some people to bear, but I'm under the impression that it is an important part of our diet. (Although, we eat too much meat in the US). Heme-iron is an important physiological nutrient.

I find that prayers for the animals killed, to be an important way to help with feelings, and to pay respect to the deceased.

We need to remember that life is a balance, anything we take (like a life), needs to be offset by an equal contribution back to the environment.

It is my belief that this is how religion started way back in the upper paleolithic, hunters would offer thanks to their kill for giving up their life to feed the tribe.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's like they can sense that someone died,
because it's not like the noise was that loud. When I target practice for instance, they don't run around all wild like that, but when one of their friends dies they do. Why do you think that is?? I've actually really wondered. It was really fascinating actually.

You??

How do people sleep at night and work as a butcher is beyond me!View attachment 59870 View attachment 59871 View attachment 59872 View attachment 59873

Ever see wild footage at Kruger? It's what nature entails and a fair portion of earth's species are predators. Many fates far worse than a bullet awaits the many creatures on this planet.

Humans are a part of that cycle of predator and prey.

Still I get what your saying and a reason why I'm so pro cultured meat where the sacrifice of our prey would entail but a number cells to grow the meat.

I think someday, with advances, our predation will go into a direction that will lesson if not eliminate an animals suffering as a food product.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I was raised on a farm. A milk farm but we also had some fowl for eggs and meat. I have slaughtered a chicken or few in in my time. I think as I've aged such an action would now upset me through I don't know for sure because its something ive not done for over 30 years.
However i do eat meat and yes, i know precisely how it gets to the table.

Is it sinful? I have no god therefore i cannot sin.

Is it moral? This of course depends on the person but personally i don't think morality comes in to it.

Deprived? Cook me a nice jucy, rare ribeye steak and I'll tell you
I would prefer Auschwitz and getting gassed than a life at a slaughter house, what they go through is chronic fear, panic, abuse, being bloated, overcrowded, total and complete torture, agony, violent murder.

I'll take Auschwitz instead, grab the electric fence, attack a guard, get gassed or go to the gallows, or firing squad, than lifespan at slaughter houses!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a niece who has to eat beef because her body doesn’t produce protein and other things. This was recommended by her doctor and nutritionist. This upset her at first because she’s from an extremely devout Hindu family.
But I mean health comes first and they accepted that

So no, I do not think eating meat is inherently sinful. It is a viable part of the human diet and sometimes required to maintain a healthy body.
I do however think factory farming is inhumane and we should be (ideally) sourcing meat from responsible farms. But sadly that may not always be a viable thing to do. Especially right now. Alas

ChristineM

Premium Member
I would prefer Auschwitz and getting gassed than a life at a slaughter house, what they go through is chronic fear, panic, abuse, being bloated, overcrowded, total and complete torture, agony, violent murder.

I'll take Auschwitz instead, grab the electric fence, attack a guard, get gassed or go to the gallows, or firing squad, than lifespan at slaughter houses!

Auschwitz was designed on the lines of a slaughter house and those slaughtered there suffered the same fate as animals under the same conditions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Been awhile since I butchered the language, so...

Meat is man's food, but to have it he's
cursed at for moral depravities.
I'll suffer those barbs.
Unlike processed carbs,
eating it causes no cavities.