• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is eating meat moral depravity?

Eating meat is:

• I lean towards saying it is immoral, sinful, or unethical

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I do not find it sinful, immoral, or unethical at all!

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Is that a contraction of "women is"?
Women is food
laughing-laugh.gif
giphy (2).gif

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
JUst to clarify. This was not an insult. I was obviously joking. I think very highly of the person I was speaking to. Some people don't know that, so thought I'd make it clear. ;)

Don't worry yourself, if i thought it was anything other than fun i wouldn't have replied to it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If that deity you mentioned promotes and condones mass murder then Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be.
PS
I wouldn't be using the words sinful or depravity though.
Maybe he is rehabilitating and evolving though?

God was going to destroy Israel. Moses told him essentially "That is a stupid idea". Scripture says precisely "God repented of the evil he planned on doing to Israel"!

Maybe he grows more compassionate and reasonable with time, and more rational?:shrug:

(I think you were going to tell him to go **** himself, in one of your posts!:smilingimp:)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We are evolved to eat a wide variety of foods, including meat, as can be discerned from out dentition and our digestive system.

If it were really immoral to eat meat, why would we permit carnivores to live, and eat the meat we think should be saved? There is such a thing as a natural world.

Yep.
We need meat for health. As omnivores our evolution should signify that need.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Don't worry yourself, if i thought it was anything other than fun i wouldn't have replied to it.
Awww...:heart::glomp:

I never know though. I very jokingly called someone who left Islam an "infidel" via YouTube, just joking, and got reported, infraction, and post deleted. So, I try to make it even more clear what my intentions are, because stuff like that happens. ;)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I reluctantly voted for eating meat not being the various things, although immoral and unethical might be appropriate as to what we choose to eat, how we rear and/or keep whatever, and how they often live their lives - some being very short. So my concerns, like many no doubt, is towards the welfare of non-human life, and the very fact that many are eating so much meat tends towards factory farming and such, and where it just appears to be so cruel - as to treating such life as mere objects rather than actual life. Let's face it, over the years the number of species we would have eaten has gradually diminished, often as we became aware how intelligent and/or social they are.

Perhaps our concerns will go away, and our appetite for real meat, when we eventually become proficient in artificial meat production. Which does seem to be one technology on the horizon, even if at the moment few would relish what was on offer.

I was a vegetarian for about two years, and physically active at the time (caving and such), so I know we don't actually need meat to survive or be healthy and fit, since I had no issues during this time.

MyM

In Islam, meat is allowed-pig is not. But it should be done in the most proper of ways. You are to give it water before killing it and no animal should see it being killed. You do it in the name of Allah and slaughter it the correct way and the fastest way and have the blood drain from it. This is the fastest way for an animal. It is a mercy.

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maitah (the dead animals-cattle-beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering (that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah, or has been slaughtered for idols) and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns — and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal — unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) ‑ and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An‑Nusub (stone‑altars)”
al-Maa'idah 5:3

Being cruel to animals is forbidden in Islam. :)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If humans were meant to eat meat, it would be what a human could naturally take down. We don't have the claws, teeth, or muscle mass to take down a cow or pig. If we were meant to eat meat, it would probably be vermin...
So, you don't think of intelligence as being any sort of evolutionary advantage then.....interesting.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Being cruel to animals is forbidden in Islam.

I think we have a different interpretation of cruelty, i believe that leaving an animal alive while it is bleeding to death its veins, arteries, the associated nerves and surrounding tissue are severed in my opinion is cruel. Far better for the animal to humainly put it out of its misery before it can suffer the pains of mutilation.

MyM

I think we have a different interpretation of cruelty, i believe that leaving an animal alive while it is bleeding to death its veins, arteries, the associated nerves and surrounding tissue are severed in my opinion is cruel. Far better for the animal to humainly put it out of its misery before it can suffer the pains of mutilation.

The fastest way to kill an animal is to get the jugular. It is the safest way to let the blood drain out since we are not to eat the blood. It doesn't take that long before it is dead. But to kill it and then the blood stays is not the way for a clean slaughter. The nerves that move doesn't necessarily mean it is alive. :)

Ever see how animals kill animals? Lion gets the wildebeest how? The tigers kill how? They all grab the jugular veins. This is how to slaughter. They even know how to kill. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
The fastest way to kill an animal is to get the jugular. It is the safest way to let the blood drain out since we are not to eat the blood. It doesn't take that long before it is dead. But to kill it and then the blood stays is not the way for a clean slaughter. The nerves that move doesn't necessarily mean it is alive. :)

Ever see how animals kill animals? Lion gets the wildebeest how? The tigers kill how? They all grab the jugular veins. This is how to slaughter. They even know how to kill. :)

It takes long enough that it feels pain and yes, research shows that the animal being slaughtered while still conscious does feel pain

For your enjoyment
Animals feel the pain of religious slaughter | New Scientist

MyM

It takes long enough that it feels pain and yes, research shows that the animal being slaughtered while still conscious does feel pain

For your enjoyment
Animals feel the pain of religious slaughter | New Scientist

Stunning alleviates the pain?....what about the pain of the stun :)

In Islam, a painful blow is not merciful neither is letting other animals see or hear.

Any animal that is alive will feel the pain of death sure, but we are to minimalize it to the least and the best way. No blood is to be left to eat and shooting, hitting, stunning, etc. all hurt the animal and may even cause it to be brain dead and that is not mercy at all.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Stunning alleviates the pain?....what about the pain of the stun :)

In Islam, a painful blow is not merciful neither is letting other animals see or hear.

Any animal that is alive will feel the pain of death sure, but we are to minimalize it to the least and the best way. No blood is to be left to eat and shooting, hitting, stunning, etc. all hurt the animal and may even cause it to be brain dead and that is not mercy at all.

Pain of stun, very quick, much quicker than the pain of bleeding to death

The research is evidence enough. You of course are welcome to your views on the method of slaughter in your religion (and others). I do not agree with those methods of leaving an animal conscious so it can feel itself bleeding to death.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
My father owned a butcher shop for 30 years, safe to say, we committed a lot of sinful meat eating.

This is just one reason why there is no benevolent God. Our junkyard God didn't create us to be survival self sufficient.

The Harmony in nature is way overrated.

I feel like it is a moral dilemma. There is a necessity for that protein, and it's not as easy to get that elsewhere. On the other hand, it's cruel.

I look at it as starvation or slaughter.