• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is eating meat moral depravity?

Eating meat is:

• I lean towards saying it is immoral, sinful, or unethical

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I do not find it sinful, immoral, or unethical at all!

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Perhaps you don't see humans as animals -- and omnivores?
I do. I just don't see whether or not humans eating meat has got the slightest thing to do with the rest of the natural world (eg what carnivores eat). The comparison is absurd. I don't photosynthesise either but don't have a problem with plants living and doing what they do.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's hard for me to say it's immoral or unethical with all things considered, but I tend to feel guilt eating it, especially seeing pictures like in the OP.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe he is rehabilitating and evolving though?

God was going to destroy Israel. Moses told him essentially "That is a stupid idea". Scripture says precisely "God repented of the evil he planned on doing to Israel"!

Maybe he grows more compassionate and reasonable with time, and more rational?:shrug:

(I think you were going to tell him to go **** himself, in one of your posts!:smilingimp:)
He's had long enough to wise up. Billions of years.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Let's face it, over the years the number of species we would have eaten has gradually diminished, often as we became aware how intelligent and/or social they are.

The latest wheeze being considered is the farming of the octopus, a highly intelligent animal.

60 % of the mammals on Earth are livestock (predominantly cattle and pigs), 36 % are humans, and just 4 % of the living mammals on the planet are wild animals.

Globally, meat consumption is increasing. Not hard to see where this is heading. Still gotta love them steaks.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The latest wheeze being considered is the farming of the octopus, a highly intelligent animal.

60 % of the mammals on Earth are livestock (predominantly cattle and pigs), 36 % are humans, and just 4 % of the living mammals on the planet are wild animals.

Globally, meat consumption is increasing. Not hard to see where this is heading. Still gotta love them steaks.
I'm so glad you told me that. I find it so hard to fathom. 4% of the living mammals on the planet are wild animals?

That's what you are saying, is that correct? That is nuts!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Stunning alleviates the pain?....what about the pain of the stun :)

In Islam, a painful blow is not merciful neither is letting other animals see or hear.

Any animal that is alive will feel the pain of death sure, but we are to minimalize it to the least and the best way. No blood is to be left to eat and shooting, hitting, stunning, etc. all hurt the animal and may even cause it to be brain dead and that is not mercy at all.
The etymology of human and humane is quite funny, considering there's nothing kind or compassionate going on in slaughterhouses. It's common for stunned animals to still be conscious when they are hung up and the throat is slit. Or, of course, when they are gassed.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I was at a foster home and got attached to the cows and pigs that I feed grain to and pet, and let them sniff and lick me, respond to affectionate, feed them lots of grain and goodies.

Then I watched my foster Father put a bullet through their eyes. The animal falls to the ground convulsing. My foster Father's brother proceeds to slit my affectionate friend (that I got so attached to) throat, and blood squirting everywhere like crazy. :(

How do people that do that all the time sleep at night? Slaughterhouses are a lot worse and far more cruel to animals!

And I found it very interesting, a 22 that he was using did not make very much noise. And yet cows that were in a totally different section that was fenced off a long ways away, would react with shock and run and jump around, when another animal gets executed.

It's like they can sense that someone died,
because it's not like the noise was that loud. When I target practice for instance, they don't run around all wild like that, but when one of their friends dies they do. Why do you think that is?? I've actually really wondered. It was really fascinating actually.

Animals feel pain and get scared. It's very sad.

But is eating meat morally wrong in your opinion? God actually commands the lamb to be eaten, and it's blood to be smeared on door posts.

God commands animals to be sacrificed and burned , just because....so, God seems okay with it.

You??

How do people sleep at night and work as a butcher is beyond me!View attachment 59870 View attachment 59871 View attachment 59872 View attachment 59873

Choose the best answer in the poll. What would Saint Paul McCartney do?
I don't see the problem. I like to live...in order to live, something must die. Vegans try to pretend otherwise but it still applies to them. They just kill in different ways, like farm machinery killing animals and removing habitat. A .22 bullet to the brain is almost instantaneous, BTW. I just had to put a pet goat down recently. Didn't want to, but it was better than him continuing to suffer since he couldn't stand anymore.
I've been to butcher shops, and not just the sanitized part, I've butchered lots of deer, and some other animals... It's just just being part of the food chain. I don't like killing but it not something I lose any sleep over.

amorphous_constellation

How do people that do that all the time sleep at night?

I think you have to read about how animist cultures, before christianity, may have viewed all of that. From what i can tell, eating anything from nature, animal or otherwise, was viewed as being more of a sacred act. Likely, it was not uncommon for the hunter to weep and pray over what they harvested, and have elaborate ceremonies. Furthermore, the animal had a spirit that lived on, through you. It was not about having the mindset of drunk cowboys massacring the buffalo, mindlessly. Or even the mindset of modern western hunters, or factory farmers. All of that would be sacrilege in a real animist culture

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I tend to think it's how we obtain meat that makes it a moral issue. I am a bleeding heart, but I also understand that life consumes itself.

Simultaneously, I find it difficult to not find industrial animal husbandry immoral. Raising an animal in inhumane conditions solely for the purpose of harvesting its flesh seems an affront to morality.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's a common idea that a vegan diet is problematical for protein intake. Not so!

One of many youtube videos featured bulked up types....

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Of course. So perhaps they just find it morally repugnant and try to minimise killing as best they can. Trying to "Do good" rather than "Do nothing because it is not possible to be perfect."
Only in reality they still kill. And it's not a healthy choice for most people. In fact, 90 some percent who go vegan don't last a year before going back to meat.