• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is coffee a stomach irritant for most people?

Rational Agnostic

I can't drink more than 1-2 cups of coffee per day or I will have painful stomach cramps and intestinal contractions that last for up to 1-2 days afterward. Obviously I'm not seeking medical advice here, but I am curious if stomach sensitivity to coffee (especially more than 2 cups a day) is a common problem.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I drink 2-3 cups per day and I don't experience any of the symptoms you describe. I agree with @YmirGF. Consult a doctor.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I can't drink more than 1-2 cups of coffee per day or I will have painful stomach cramps and intestinal contractions that last for up to 1-2 days afterward. Obviously I'm not seeking medical advice here, but I am curious if stomach sensitivity to coffee (especially more than 2 cups a day) is a common problem.
I get that if I use cream.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Coffee is very acidic and is a natural dierrhetic. Its It's something people with a history of gastritis, IBS, ulcer or reflux often end up cutting out.

Depending on the ingredients added such as sugar and dairy, can cause some other problems. Depends on your body

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've had that problem with too much coffee on an empty stomach. My non-MD thoughts:

You could try "acid free coffee" to see if that makes a difference.

If cream is an issue, you might have a sensitivity to dairy. How about dairy substitutes? Do they cause the same problem?

Rational Agnostic

I've had that problem with too much coffee on an empty stomach. My non-MD thoughts:

You could try "acid free coffee" to see if that makes a difference.

If cream is an issue, you might have a sensitivity to dairy. How about dairy substitutes? Do they cause the same problem?

Typically don't have problems with dairy by itself.

Why not try green tea? It has less caffien in it and more antioxidents. The caffien may be the cause of the problem.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No, however if my body fat ratio reaches a certain amount, and the amount seems like a very fine margin, I will get heartburn from all kinds of things including coffee. Its really strange, but the amount of fat directly affects me, and I get chronic heartburn if I go over.

Coffee heartburn is affected by my intake of antihistamines, and that makes sense. Antihistamines suppress some of the acid producing functions. They aren't really that helpful. Its better for me to use an antacid, but I usually do nothing and simply endure the heartburn.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have IBS so it can give me the runs. Lol. Its usually okay if I don't put too much milk in it. But I've never had stomach contractions, especially days later. Definitely see a doctor.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have IBS so it can give me the runs. Lol. Its usually okay if I don't put too much milk in it. But I've never had stomach contractions, especially days later. Definitely see a doctor.
Right! Most people should not put milk into coffee. Use creamer. I can use milk in my coffee, however. It really depends upon the person, but the creamer makes a huge difference for some.

Bob the Unbeliever

I typically use cream, so that could be the problem.

Depends if it's actual dairy cream, or is it one of those non-dairy powder ones?

There is a giant variance among the non-dairy creamers; some have artificial sweeteners, others do not. All have a variety of chemicals too.

You might substitute a different cream-- say Almond Milk, or Soy Milk. Both have far fewer ingredients than powders.

If you use dairy? You might try skim milk instead-- it might be the milk fat.

Or? It might be the milk protein, in which case the non-dairy or Almond would be a good test.

I'm like you-- about 5 cups a day, with plenty of that powder stuff. :)

Bob the Unbeliever

No, however if my body fat ratio reaches a certain amount, and the amount seems like a very fine margin, I will get heartburn from all kinds of things including coffee. Its really strange, but the amount of fat directly affects me, and I get chronic heartburn if I go over.

Coffee heartburn is affected by my intake of antihistamines, and that makes sense. Antihistamines suppress some of the acid producing functions. They aren't really that helpful. Its better for me to use an antacid, but I usually do nothing and simply endure the heartburn.

I get a similar thing with anything deep fried, these days. Alas, I have reluctantly concluded I must give up all deep-fried foods-- and I love fried chicken... *sigh*.

I pretty much quit french fries some time back already.

It might be the combination of coffee and dairy. Try mixing up the fats you use as "creamer"-- lots of tasty substitutes out there, to get your coffee fix and creamer too.

Bob the Unbeliever

Pro Tip: I accidentally discovered that when I have milder acid burn?

I eat a series of Dill Pickles-- or even sip the vinegar they are pickled in (I ran out of dill chips, so sipped the juice... very salty, so if you are on low-salt, I don't recommend that)

But. It immediately settled the acid heartburn-- my working hypothesis is that adding mild acid (or it may be the salt?) to the stomach, finally switches off the "let's make acid" engine.

Good Luck!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
OMG... and that's normal coffee.
I dare not imagine what espresso would to to you...
like most Italians drink 2-3 espressos a day

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I was previously a tea drinker but I bought a coffee machine and was enjoying my morning coffee before breakfast. I began suffering with gastric reflux and it persisted for some time. Doc gave me antacids.......but at night the reflux was terrible. I never put 2 and 2 together. But reading an article one evening I came across a part that related coffee on an empty stomach to reflux at night. I stopped the morning coffe for two weeks and the reflux went away. I gradually tried drinking my coffee at different times of the day and I can have a coffee now, as long as I have it after food. I just have one a day and drink tea otherwise. I still enjoy my coffee but without the reflux. FWIW...

My early morning cuppa is back to tea.