• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christmas Pagan?

joelr

Again, check yourself before you wreck yourself. Christianity originated within Judaism, was promulgated by Jews, was codified by Jews, and was founded by a Jew.

Right back at ya. I know the Jewish connection however in the OT we see certain things added only after the Persian invasion.
Good vs evil,
god, vs satan,
world destroyed by fire,
bad people killed
good peopple get to live in paradise
This is Persian Zoroastrianism. Pre-Persian invasion there wasn't much of an afterlife in OT. Witches maybe. People buried in the ground.
But after the invasion we get all sorts of new ideas on afterlife and evil and cosmic wars and so on.

If you want a source, this PhD. biblical historian explains it at 6:16

I'm only using PhD in biblical history sources.
Well......Earlier you mentioned Zeitgeist as if it were a bad source. That material came from D.M. Murdock - truthbeknown.com and she is a qualified bible historian, Egyptain trenchmaster and reads Greek, Hebrew, German, Latin, Aramaic and others.
Not a PhD. however. But I think her work is considered pretty good.
PhD. Carrier has corrected a few of her mistakes so. But she isn't just a crank theory writer, not at all.

I myself don't have anything against paganisms. I find much of the symbology and the ethics absolutely fascinating, and it gives me another perspective through which to look at my own faith. But there are some who seem to think that anything not-Christian is 100% evil and has absolutely no truth and nothing worth redemption about it.

All of Christianity is either pagan of Jewish. There is nothing new.

Alright, you're on track so far...
No they did not. Osiris died because Set was a jerk, and now he's just the lord of the dead, but the dead were still making it to the afterlife just fine before he kicked the bucket. His resurrection doesn't help anybody else to come back from the dead like Christ's does. It's certainly not a victory over death as it is in Christian eschatology.

Don't use Wiki for historical sources, it rarely matches current PhD. scholarship.

Not only does Plutarch say Osiris returned to life and was recreated, exact terms for resurrection (anabiôsis and paliggenesia: On Isis and Osiris 35; see my discussion in The Empty Tomb, pp. 154-55), and also describe his physically returning to earth after his death (Plutarch, On Isis and Osiris 19), but the physical resurrection of Osiris’s corpse is explicitly described in pre-Christian pyramid inscriptions!

Plutarch writes that “Osiris came to Horus from the other world and exercised and trained him for the battle,” and taught him lessons, and then “Osiris consorted with Isis after his death and she became the mother of Harpocrates.” It’s hard to get more explicit than that. Contrary to Ehrman, there is no mention of Osiris not being in his resurrected body at that point. To the contrary, every version of his myth has him revive only after Isis reassembles and reanimates his corpse. As Plutarch says, “the soul of Osiris is everlasting and imperishable, but his body Typhon oftentimes dismembers and causes to disappear, and that Isis wanders hither and yon in her search for it, and fits it together again” (On Isis and Osiris 54).

And indeed, carved on the walls of the pyramids centuries before Christianity began were the declarations of the goddess Isis (or Horus, or their agents), “I have come to thee…that I may revivify thee, that I may assemble for thee thy bones, that I may collect for thee thy flesh, that I may assemble for thee thy dismembered limbs…raise thyself up, king, [as for] Osiris; thou livest!” (Pyramid Texts 1684a-1685a and 1700, = Utterance 606; cf. Utterance 670); “Raise thyself up; shake off thy dust; remove the dirt which is on thy face; loose thy bandages!” (Pyramid Texts 1363a-b, = Utterance 553); “[As for] Osiris, collect thy bones; arrange thy limbs; shake off thy dust; untie thy bandages; the tomb is open for thee; the double doors of the coffin are undone for thee; the double doors of heaven are open for thee…thy soul is in thy body…raise thyself up!” (Pyramid Texts 207b-209a and 2010b-2011a, = Utterance 676). That sure sounds like a physical resurrection of Osiris’s body to me. (As even confirmed by the most recent translation of James P. Allen, cf. pp. 190, 224-25, 272. The spells he clarifies are sung to and about the resident Pharaoh, but in the role of Osiris, receiving the same resurrection as Osiris, e.g. “there has been done for me what was done for my father Osiris on the day of tying bones together, of making functional the feet,” “do for him that which you did for his brother Osiris on the day,” etc.)

Plutarch goes on to explicitly state that this resurrection on earth (set in actual earth history) in the same body he died in (reassembled and restored to life) was the popular belief, promoted in allegorical tales by the priesthood—as was also the god’s later descent to rule Hades. But the secret “true” belief taught among the initiated priesthood was that Osiris becomes incarnate, dies, and rises back to life every year in a secret cosmic battle in the sublunar heavens. So in fact, contrary to Ehrman (who evidently never actually read any of the sources on this point), Plutarch says the belief that Osiris went to Hades was false (On Isis and Osiris 78); and yet even in that “public” tale, Osiris rules in Hades in his old body of flesh, restored to life. Hence still plainly resurrected. But as Plutarch explains (On Isis and Osiris 25-27 & 54 and 58), the esoteric truth was that the god’s death and resurrection occurs in sublunar space, after each year descending and taking on a mortal body to die in; and that event definitely involved coming back to life in a new superior body, in which Osiris ascends to a higher realm to rule from above, all exactly as was said of the risen Jesus (who no more remained on earth than Osiris did). The only difference is that when importing this into Judaism, which had not a cyclical-eternal but a linear-apocalyptic conception of theological history, they converted the god’s dying-and-rising to a singular apocalyptic event.

And that’s just Osiris. Clearly raised from the dead in his original, deceased body, restored to life; visiting people on earth in his risen body; and then ruling from heaven above. And that directly adjacent to Judea, amidst a major Jewish population in Alexandria, and popular across the whole empire. But as Plutarch said in On the E at Delphi 9, many religions of his day “narrate deaths and vanishings, followed by returns to life and resurrections.” Not just that one. Plutarch names Dionysus as but an example (and by other names “Zagreus, Nyctelius, and Isodaetes“). And we know for a fact this Dionysus wasn’t the only example Plutarch would have known. Plutarch only names him because he was so closely associated with Osiris, and the most famous.

You have to define this term reeeeaaally loosely to make this work. Most deities who aren't born of other deities are born out of natural or nonliving things like sea foam (Venus), a rock (Mithras), blood (the Olympians or the Titans, I forget which), or other things like that. Which, sea foam and rocks and blood don't have sex, so I guess that makes them virgins? Again, you have to dilute the term "virgin" to an almost meaningless level to make that argument work.
Hmm, completely wrong?

"The deep anxiety of Christians is often revealed in their desperation to convince themselves they aren’t just new fangled pagans who stole everything from other religions. The virgin birth is a classic example,"

"And that point comes even before we get to noticing that there were also full-on virgin births (at the very least, Perseus and Ra) and conceptions without sexual union regardless of the mother’s virginity otherwise (Hephaestus, directly created in Hera’s womb; Mithras, spontaneously born from a rock; and Dionysus, in the myth by which his mother Semele conceives him a second time by drinking a potion; and many more I’ll enumerate shortly), which are actually far more pertinent precedents of the the ideas stolen by the Jews to invent such a comparable miraculous origin for Jesus"

"Consider the goddess Hera. Definitely not a virgin, by the standard that she has in her mythology plenty of sex. She might not get much amour from her philandering husband Zeus, but at least enough to beget a gaggle of children. And yet she “regains her virginity” every year by taking a magical bath. So technically, by that concept, every one of her children was virgin born. Just not virginally conceived. Well, all except for Hephaestus, who was not conceived by any sexual act at all (not even with magical dildos). Hera simply willed the existence of his fetus into her womb. Sound familiar? Hmm. And since she is per balneum magicum always a virgin when she gives birth, Hephaestus was also virgin born!"
Virgin Birth: It's Pagan, Guys. Get Over It. • Richard Carrier

joelr

1: I'm sure many a pagan and animist would like a word with you about this.
2: The sun can be "born" at literally any time in a mythology, it doesn't have to be at the winter solstice (which Dec. 25th isn't, anyway). The important question is when the sun starts to rise again, or "be reborn" if your mythology holds to that idea--it's not a universal.
Depending on your location on Earth the sun has a low declination for 3 days then it begins rising higher.
This day would be the birthday of your solar god.

This is factually wrong, as I have stated above with sources. Christmas was celebrated before this time. The only question is when it was split off from Theophany.

What source?

DM murdock:
The December 25th birthday of the sun god is a common motif globally, dating back at least 12,000 years as reflected in winter solstices artfully recorded in caves. "Nearly all nations," says Doane, commemorated the birth of the god Sol to the "Queen of Heaven" and "Celestial Virgin." The winter solstice was celebrated in countless places, including China and Persia, the latter regarding the solar Lord and Savior Mithra's birth. In Rome, a great festival called "Saturnalia" was celebrated from December 1st to the 23rd. The winter solstice festival in Egypt included the babe in a manger brought out of the sanctuary.

Regarding the date of the "Christmas Feast," the Catholic Encyclopedia ("Christmas") remarks:

The well-known solar feast...of Natalis Invicti, celebrated on 25 December, has a strong claim on the responsibility for our December date....

The earliest rapprochement of the births of Christ and the sun is in Cypr., "De pasch. Comp.", xix, "...O, how wonderfully acted Providence that on that day on which that Sun was born...Christ should be born." In the fourth century, Chrysostom, "del Solst. Et Æquin." (II, p. 118, ed. 1588), says: "...But Our Lord, too, is born in the month of December...the eight before the calends of January [25 December]... But they call it the 'Birthday of the Unconquered'. Who indeed is so unconquered as Our Lord...? Or, if they say that it is the birthday of the Sun, He is the Sun of Justice." Already Tertullian (Apol., 16; cf. Ad. Nat., I, 13; Orig. c. Cels., VIII, 67, etc) had to assert that Sol was not the Christians' God; Augustine (Tract xxxiv, in Joan. In P. L., XXXV, 1652) denounces the heretical indentification of Christ with Sol. Pope Leo I (Serm. xxxvii in nat. dom., VII, 4; xxii, II, 6 in P. L., LIV, 218 and 198) bitterly reproves solar survivals--Christians, on the very doorstep of the Apostles' basilica, turn to adore the rising sun.

Ancient Greeks celebrated the birthday of Hercules and Dionysus on this date, as the ancient authority Macrobius (c. 400 AD/CE) maintained. Even the Greek father god, Zeus, was supposedly born at the winter solstice. The "Christmas" festival was celebrated at Athens and was called "the Lenaea," during which time, apparently, "the death and rebirth of the harvest infant Dionysus were similarly dramatized." This Lenaea festival is depicted in an Aurignacian cave-painting in Spain, with a "young Dionysus with huge genitals," standing naked in the middle of "nine dancing women." The Aurignacian period extended from 34,000 to 23,000 years ago. In The White Goddess (399), mythologist Robert Graves states:

The Christmas Hoax | Jesus is NOT the 'Reason for the Season'

You mean outside of the fact that we're Christians, Christmas is our holiday, it's not synonymous with the ancient Roman festival of Sol Invictus, and we decide what our holidays mean, and not you or any conspiracy theorists?
Well Christmas is the birth of Jesus for Christians. We know the date was used for cultural reasons.
It's just that Jesus is as pagan as any demigod in those times. Christians are free to consider themselves separate but to historians and non-Christians it's just a pagan cult. But it's a fun secular day as well. Synchronization works for secular holidays as well as most of the Christmas traditions are used in secular celebrations.
No one is trying to say to Christians that Christmas isn't the birthday of Jesus for religious people?

1: The festival of Sol Invictus didn't even exist until it was created in 274. St. Cyprian had already been dead for several decades in this time.
2: As I said above, originally the feast of Christ's Nativity was celebrated as part of the feast of Theophany on January 6th/December 25th (depending on region), and this was practiced regardless of whether Christians were in the Roman Empire or not.
It's clear now that dec 25 was a known pagan day back then and in order to fit Christianity in they put the birthday on an already established day and said "now this is JESUS day!!"
Rome made Christianity Law. That means if you were not a Christian you would be killed.

1: Those deities don't even exist in a Christian worldview, so this argument doesn't carry any weight to a Christian.
2: Jesus is the pre-existing and eternal God the Son, whereas almost every major deity in pagan religions was created after (in some cases long after) the creation of the universe. So even if we hold that all mythologies are true and put Jesus against everyone else, Jesus is still older than 95% of the cast, and ties with the rest at worst.

The first point makes no sense.
Like someone wrote a book about a space adventure with Jedi and the good/bad force and Darth Vader and evil empire and someone else suddenly 1 year later comes out with a space book with all the same elements and the original author tries to say he's been copied from and the new author says "no, this is a whole different universe, not related to your universe so you can't sue me!"

2. you're just quoting scripture. All scriptures of gods and demi-gods make statements that their god existed before time or before the universe or whatever.
The Hindu creation god absolutely created the universe. How hard is it to write some fan-fiction about a pretend god and say he existed before time, reality, whatever.....
It's a non-point.
If we saw a scripture from Hercules right now that said Hercules was created before time you wouldn't care? It would not mean anything in a debate. So why even use something so random?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Rome made Christianity Law. That means if you were not a Christian you would be killed.
That's simply not true, but what I think you've done is to confuse the post Constantine empire with the pre-Constantine time under Nero that had taken centuries before. Post Constantine Rome was not very tolerant but they didn't go as far as killing every non-Christian.

kjw47

Then it would seem that St. Paul himself partook of the table of demons by praising the Gentiles for their religious fervor. Are you prepared to consign him to hell, too? Or what about when our Lord told people to do as the Pharisees said to do whilst keeping clear of their example? Did both St. Paul and Christ Himself partake of the table of demons?

Moreover, St. Paul says this in chapter 8:
"4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. 7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse. 9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?

St. Paul says that idols are nothing, and they have no power over anything, except to the extent that men think they do. Are you willing to give idols power over absolutely everything in the world, or do you want to take what is good and reclaim it for God?

And again in chapter 10:
27 If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” 29 “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 30 But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks? 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

It is a Christian's duty to find Christ in every person and in all bits of truth and goodness that we can find in the world and make Him known through that. We are the light of Christ, and our goal should be to make that light shine, not just in us, but in all mankind and in all the cosmos. Everybody and every belief system has at least some element of that truth. We want to take the truth that they have, clean it off, make it shine, and give them the rest of Christ's light of revelation. But it seems you think that nobody has a single shred of anything of Christ's; Satan's rule over this world and all its people is absolute, and nothing of God remains in it at all. And that is an idea that I would heavily disagree with as being extremely antithetical to the entirety of the Christian message, and to God's estimation that the creation is "very good" and worth saving. If Satan has utterly corrupted everything, then there's nothing left to save, and it should all just be washed away.

Having religious ferver is a good thing. But always best when directed at the true living God-YHVH(Jehovah)
The work Jesus began( Luke 10--Acts 20:20) doesn't stop until the end. The preaching of the good news of Gods kingdom and king.

Vaderecta

So tis the season to be Pagan.So if your Christian do you celebrate Christmas? My sister is Messianic Christian and she and her family do not celebrate Christmas because of its Pagan origins.

Horace and other Gods were born on December 1st, what is Jesus true birthday? What about Santa and Rudolph do you teach your kids Santa exists and Rudolph and Frosty the snowman Christmas elves?

I love it all. I think of it as a way of having family time together.

I was brought up as a Jehovah's witness so yes. But then I became an atheist so yes. No I'm more agnostic and I just don't care. I have a christmas tree. I decorate it with ornaments and pictures I care about. My kids love christmas. I love christmas. Its a great holiday.

joelr

That's simply not true, but what I think you've done is to confuse the post Constantine empire with the pre-Constantine time under Nero that had taken centuries before. Post Constantine Rome was not very tolerant but they didn't go as far as killing every non-Christian.

not everyone, immediately but

In 488:
Zeno instituted harsh anti-paganism policies. With the failure of the revolt of Leontios, some pagans became disillusioned and became Christian, or pretended to do so, in order to avoid persecution.[118] The subjugation of the Roman Empire to Christianity became complete when the emperor Anastasius I, who came to the throne in 491, was required to sign a written declaration of orthodoxy before his coronation.

Under Pope Gregory I, the caverns, grottoes, crags and glens that had once been used for the worship of the pagan gods were now appropriated by Christianity: "Let altars be built and relics be placed there" wrote Pope Gregory I, "so that [the pagans] have to change from the worship of the daemones to that of the true God."[119][120]

490:

The church also entered into a long period of missionary activity and expansion among the various tribes. While Arianists instituted the death penalty for practicing pagans (see Massacre of Verden as example), what would later become Catholicism also spread among the Hungarians, the Germanic,[48] the Celtic, the Baltic and some Slavic peoples. Christianity has been an important part of the shaping of Western civilization, at least since the 4th century.

Once the church is formed in 12 there are numerous examples of "militant Christianity"

Another event not spoke of much Edict of Expulsion - removing all Jews from England was directly related to christians:

The Edict of Expulsion was a royal decree issued by King Edward I of England on 18 July 1290, expelling all Jews from the Kingdom of England. The expulsion edict remained in force for the rest of the Middle Ages. The edict was not an isolated incident, but the culmination of over 200 years of increased persecution. The edict was overturned during the Protectorate more than 350 years later, when Oliver Cromwell permitted Jews to return to England in 1657. King Edward I advised Sheriffs of all Counties he wanted all Jews expelled by no later than All Saints' Day (1st November) of the year the decree was issued

"
In the thirteenth century a new emphasis on Jesus' suffering, exemplified by the Franciscans' preaching, had the consequence of turning worshippers' attention towards Jews, on whom Christians had placed the blame for Jesus' death. Christianity's limited tolerance of Jews was not new—Augustine of Hippo had said that Jews should not be allowed to enjoy the citizenship that Christians took for granted—but the growing antipathy towards Jews was a factor that led to the expulsion of Jews from England in 1290, the first of many such expulsions in Europe.[67][68]

Beginning around 1184, following the crusade against the Cathar heresy,[69] various institutions, broadly referred to as the Inquisition, were established with the aim of suppressing heresy and securing religious and doctrinal unity within Christianity through conversion and prosecution.[70]"

Also people often cite the popularity of Christianity as proof of it's true nature but look:

"in 313. At that point, Christianity was still a minority belief comprising perhaps only five percent of the Roman population."

300 years later it was very small. At this time (313 AD) we have all the above evidence that this movement was forced upon people which was the cause of so many converts over the next several centuries.

joelr

Y
His resurrection doesn't help anybody else to come back from the dead like Christ's does. It's certainly not a victory over death as it is in Christian eschatology.
Al pagan cults had some sort of baptism which was related to an afterlife admittance for followers and the victory over death is the main point in all of the savior gods resurrection?

Dionysus
Those baptized into his cult received eternal life in paradise; and just like Christians (1 Corinthians 15:29), Dionysians could even baptize themselves on behalf of deceased loved ones, and thus rescue those already dead.

Zalmoxis had died and rose from the dead, and appeared to disciples on earth to prove it...His disciples then believed they would benefit from his power to bring them into eternal life in paradise....Herodotus reports that Zalmoxis “fed the leaders among his countrymen” in a hall “and taught them that neither he nor his guests nor any of their descendants would ever die, but that they would go to a place where they would live forever and have all good things,”

Christian apologist Justin Martyr knew and admitted to all the pagan similarities:
(Dialogue 69):

When we say…Jesus Christ…was produced without sexual union, and was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended to heaven, we propound nothing new or different from what you believe regarding those whom you call Sons of God. [In fact]…if anybody objects that [Jesus] was crucified, this is in common with the sons of Zeus (as you call them) who suffered, as previously listed [he listed Dionysus, Hercules, and Asclepius]. Since their fatal sufferings are all narrated as not similar but different, so his unique passion should not seem to be any worse.

Justin along with many church fathers of the time simply argued that the Devil was deliberately emulating the Jesus mytheme, in advance. For modern Christians who don't believe in the devil I don't know how one gets around this? Now denial is used I guess?

"
Note how Justin is less of a fool than modern Christian apologists. He admits that differences don’t matter. Since each and every one of the suffering and dying gods are slain by different means, one cannot argue the mytheme requires exactly the same means of death. “But Osiris can’t have inspired the Jesus myth because Osiris wasn’t nailed to a cross” is a stupid argument. The mytheme is simply death. Being killed. Suffering and dying. The exact mode of death can vary freely. It makes no difference to the existence and influence of the mytheme. It’s simply the particular instantiation of a generic abstraction. And Justin’s argument (that Satan invented these fake religions to confuse people) entails Justin agreed the mytheme existed: indeed, it was demonically promulgated, multiple times. Intentionally.

Likewise, Justin notices the mytheme is not virgin birth, but sexless conception. Of which many examples had already been popularized in pagan mythology (there just happens to also have been examples of actual virgin born gods as well). And by his argument (that the Devil was deliberately emulating the Jesus mytheme, in advance), Justin clearly accepted the same principle for “rising again” after death: the particular exact metaphysics of the resurrection could, like the exact method of death or conception, vary freely. The mytheme consists solely of the abstraction: returning to life. Somehow. Some way. We will say bodily, at the very least. But what sort of body (the same one, a new one, a mortal one, an immortal one), didn’t matter. If it had, Justin would have made the argument that “those gods” weren’t really resurrected. But that argument, never occurs to him. Nor did it to any other apologist of the first three centuries.
Ancient Christians well knew there was nothing new about their dying-and-rising god. Not in respect to the mytheme. Their claims were solely that his particular instantiation of it was better, and the only one that actually happened. They didn’t make up the stupid modern arguments that dying-and-rising god myths didn’t exist or weren’t part of a common mytheme everyone knew about. For example, in the same century, Tertullian, in Prescription against Heretics 40, makes exactly the same argument as Justin."

Dying-and-Rising Gods: It's Pagan, Guys. Get Over It. • Richard Carrier

Angelus5884

So tis the season to be Pagan.So if your Christian do you celebrate Christmas? My sister is Messianic Christian and she and her family do not celebrate Christmas because of its Pagan origins.

Horace and other Gods were born on December 1st, what is Jesus true birthday? What about Santa and Rudolph do you teach your kids Santa exists and Rudolph and Frosty the snowman Christmas elves?

I love it all. I think of it as a way of having family time together.

Peace be uppon u rider

Christmas is clearly a pagan celebration that Christian celebrate each year. I mean u can’t read anything in the bible that the compagnon of Jesus peace be uppon him were celebrating his birth. Fact it The actual birthdate of Jesus is unknown. Many people have asserted that it was probably in March or early spring because the Bible tells us that when Jesus was born the shepherds were watching their flocks by night. "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke2:8)

I think it is important to teach children the right stuff to believe in. I believe Christians forget that the Roman god Saturn and the Norse god Odin feature heavily in Christmas celebrations. Forgetting the origins of Christmas could be likened to what happened when the people of Noah forgot why they built statues that then became idols. That time ended very badly for those who forgot

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not only duty to discourage it, but to avoid non-Christian traditions as Jesus said at Matthew 15:9, and because as Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30 says false shepherds (church leaders) would lead people away from biblical truth.
Just as the religious leaders were corrupt in Jesus day according to the 23rd chapter of Matthew, then it should be No surprise to find that also true today.

I like lights. It is a dark time of year but the birth of Jesus helps to light it up.

Isa 60:1 Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you.

Muffled

Jesus in me
God never had more than a single religion. He is not with the other religions. Satan owns those religions( 2Cor 11:12-15) Not all is as appears in this world.

LOL. I believe it is Just like a religion to leave out Jesus and think it is the only one.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No matter what good one accomplishes, if they partake off the table of demons, God says they cannot partake of his table. 1Cor 10:21)- its practiced sin= a worker of iniquity. Jesus warned those as well- Matt 7:21-23-- No mortal knows who is saved. Those teachers telling others-DO NOT KNOW.

I believe that is true but not all of paganism is tied to demons.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I like lights. It is a dark time of year but the birth of Jesus helps to light it up.
Isa 60:1 Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you.
Isaiah 60:1-3 to me seems more like Jesus' 'resurrection morning' because Jesus had died a faithful death.
Jesus did Not become Messiah until the day he was baptized, so, Jesus' light started to shine on that day.
Isaiah's ' woman ' was Not Mary, but 'she' was the city of old Jerusalem or Zion, the capital city of Judah.
That city, or symbolic ' woman ' stood for the entire nation at that ancient time frame - 607-537 BC.
Today's ' heavenly woman ' is now Jerusalem ' above ' because she is now mother as per Galatians 4:26; 6:16.
There again showing that ' spiritual light ' started really shining from Pentecost onward to our day or time frame.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
LOL. I believe it is Just like a religion to leave out Jesus and think it is the only one.
I find the way the apostles celebrated Jesus' birth (they didn't) was Not leaving Jesus out of 1st-century religion.
Even Jesus instructed his followers to 'mark on the calendar' as a 'red-letter day' the day of his death - Luke 22:19.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
not everyone, immediately but

In 488:
Zeno instituted harsh anti-paganism policies. With the failure of the revolt of Leontios, some pagans became disillusioned and became Christian, or pretended to do so, in order to avoid persecution.[118] The subjugation of the Roman Empire to Christianity became complete when the emperor Anastasius I, who came to the throne in 491, was required to sign a written declaration of orthodoxy before his coronation.

Under Pope Gregory I, the caverns, grottoes, crags and glens that had once been used for the worship of the pagan gods were now appropriated by Christianity: "Let altars be built and relics be placed there" wrote Pope Gregory I, "so that [the pagans] have to change from the worship of the daemones to that of the true God."[119][120]

490:

The church also entered into a long period of missionary activity and expansion among the various tribes. While Arianists instituted the death penalty for practicing pagans (see Massacre of Verden as example), what would later become Catholicism also spread among the Hungarians, the Germanic,[48] the Celtic, the Baltic and some Slavic peoples. Christianity has been an important part of the shaping of Western civilization, at least since the 4th century.

Once the church is formed in 12 there are numerous examples of "militant Christianity"

Another event not spoke of much Edict of Expulsion - removing all Jews from England was directly related to christians:

The Edict of Expulsion was a royal decree issued by King Edward I of England on 18 July 1290, expelling all Jews from the Kingdom of England. The expulsion edict remained in force for the rest of the Middle Ages. The edict was not an isolated incident, but the culmination of over 200 years of increased persecution. The edict was overturned during the Protectorate more than 350 years later, when Oliver Cromwell permitted Jews to return to England in 1657. King Edward I advised Sheriffs of all Counties he wanted all Jews expelled by no later than All Saints' Day (1st November) of the year the decree was issued

"
In the thirteenth century a new emphasis on Jesus' suffering, exemplified by the Franciscans' preaching, had the consequence of turning worshippers' attention towards Jews, on whom Christians had placed the blame for Jesus' death. Christianity's limited tolerance of Jews was not new—Augustine of Hippo had said that Jews should not be allowed to enjoy the citizenship that Christians took for granted—but the growing antipathy towards Jews was a factor that led to the expulsion of Jews from England in 1290, the first of many such expulsions in Europe.[67][68]

Beginning around 1184, following the crusade against the Cathar heresy,[69] various institutions, broadly referred to as the Inquisition, were established with the aim of suppressing heresy and securing religious and doctrinal unity within Christianity through conversion and prosecution.[70]"

Also people often cite the popularity of Christianity as proof of it's true nature but look:

"in 313. At that point, Christianity was still a minority belief comprising perhaps only five percent of the Roman population."

300 years later it was very small. At this time (313 AD) we have all the above evidence that this movement was forced upon people which was the cause of so many converts over the next several centuries.
That simply does not in any way refute what I posted, plus you included other material in your post that doesn't directly relate to what you previously had posted.

Secondly, even though I don't like using this as excuse, nevertheless let me just remind you that the concept of religious tolerance is pretty much a more recent event regardless of which religion or Christian denomination we may refer to, with very few exceptions. Take a look at what Protestants did in both Europe and North America as another example of this.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Christmas is clearly a pagan celebration that Christian celebrate each year. I mean u can’t read anything in the bible that the compagnon of Jesus peace be uppon him were celebrating his birth. Fact it The actual birthdate of Jesus is unknown. Many people have asserted that it was probably in March or early spring because the Bible tells us that when Jesus was born the shepherds were watching their flocks by night. "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke2:8)
I think it is important to teach children the right stuff to believe in. I believe Christians forget that the Roman god Saturn and the Norse god Odin feature heavily in Christmas celebrations. Forgetting the origins of Christmas could be likened to what happened when the people of Noah forgot why they built statues that then became idols. That time ended very badly for those who forgot

True, the actual birth date of Jesus is unknown, but the fact that Jesus died at age 33 1/2 in the Spring month on the Jewish calendar of Nisan the 14th day that would mean Jesus would have turned 34 in the Fall or Autumn of the year.

Angelus5884

True, the actual birth date of Jesus is unknown, but the fact that Jesus died at age 33 1/2 in the Spring month on the Jewish calendar of Nisan the 14th day that would mean Jesus would have turned 34 in the Fall or Autumn of the year.

The Quran the boom of Allah tell us when Jesus peace uppon him was born and that can be found in chapter merry

And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten."(Quran Merry 19:23)

But he called her from below her, "Do not grieve; your Lord has provided beneath you a stream.( Quran Merry 19:24)

And shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates. (Quran Merry 19:25)

And as u can see ripe and fresh dates doesn’t come on winter but summer time

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Quran the boom of Allah tell us when Jesus peace uppon him was born and that can be found in chapter merry
And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten."(Quran Merry 19:23)
But he called her from below her, "Do not grieve; your Lord has provided beneath you a stream.( Quran Merry 19:24)
And shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates. (Quran Merry 19:25)
And as u can see ripe and fresh dates doesn’t come on winter but summer time

Right, Jesus was Not born in the winter. In Scripture Jesus died in the Spring Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day.
Jesus being 33 1/2 years old when he died in the Spring would place Jesus' birth in the Fall or Autumn of the year.