• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheists and agnotics pagan?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Evangelicalhumanist Just one thing.. You said; you are an "Atheist" because of a run in with a bad Religious person! That's all I was doing .. Pointing out Good Religious people! Because there are a few!
Excuse me, I never said anything of the kind. Read before you make such assumptions.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Kooky good to meet you..
Nice to meet you too, I hope your holidays have gone well!

atheist
[ˈāTHēəst]
NOUN
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"................................................
Right you are.... I didn't make the dictionary I just post the descriptive!
Yes a person can question what they read but they are the experts not me... Better judgement tells me to accept it as true meaning and use!
I mean that dictionaries are not normative sources of language, they are descriptive sources trying to catalogue language as it is currently spoken. A dictionary definiton means nothing more than how a word is commonly used by a large number of people speaking that language. It carries no further authority than that.

It's rather common around here to cite dictionary entries as some kind of authoritative source, so I can understand how one would come to the conclusion that they are. But in my opinion, that is a misuse of their actual intent - to have a baseline of common usage terminology that everyone can start from in a discussion or debate.

Last edited:

Dogknox20

Nice to meet you too, I hope your holidays have gone well!

I mean that dictionaries are not normative sources of language, they are descriptive sources trying to catalogue language as it is currently spoken. A dictionary definiton means nothing more than how a word is commonly used by a large number of people speaking that language. It carries no further authority than that.

It's rather common around here to cite dictionary entries as some kind of authoritative source, so I can understand how one would come to the conclusion that they are. But in my opinion, that is a misuse of their actual intent - to have a baseline of common usage terminology that everyone can start from in a discussion or debate.
Kooky Good point.. A baseline to start.. All start off on common ground!
Is atheists and agnostics pagan?
They are NOT Christian! Out of over 40 scripture interpretations I have posted these (below); Take your pick... Looks like A pagan should be shunned however you want to define the word "Pagan"!
17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
KJ21
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church; but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican.
ASV
And if he refuse to hear them, tell it unto the church: and if he refuse to hear the church also, let him be unto thee as the Gentile and the publican.
AMP
If he pays no attention to them [refusing to listen and obey], tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile (unbeliever) and a tax collector.
CEV
If the follower refuses to listen to them, report the matter to the church. Anyone who refuses to listen to the church must be treated like an unbeliever or a tax collector.
ERV
If they refuse to listen to them, tell the church. And if they refuse to listen to the church, treat them as you would treat someone who does not know God or who is a tax collector.
TLB
If he still refuses to listen, then take your case to the church, and if the church’s verdict favors you, but he won’t accept it, then the church should excommunicate him.
NLT
If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector.
VOICE
Then, if your brother or sister still refuses to heed, you are to share what you know with the entire church; and if your brother or sister still refuses to listen to the entire church, you are to cast out your unrepentant sibling and consider him no different from outsiders and tax collectors.

gnostic

The Lost One
I think agnosticism is a 'new religious movement' that originated in England or Wales in the 1970s.
You mean “1870s”, don’t you?

It (agnosticism) was coined in 1869, by the biologist, Thomas Henry Huxley, a younger contemporary and friend of Charles Darwin.

He wrote some essays about agnosticism.

Huxley was also responsible for being an advocate of separating religious belief from science at universities and colleges through Britain.

Darwin himself became agnostic afterwards.