• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Officer Repeatedly Sprayed Mace in Woman’s Vagina as Punishment: Lawsuit | Filming Cops

Surprise, surprise, the officers involved still work there. Oh but they were "disciplined" though.

If a non LEO citizen did something like this, how would we be "disciplined"?
What's the typical sentence for a violent sexual assault?

Laws regarding rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prison sentences for rape are not uniform. A study made by the U.S. Department of Justice of prison releases in 1992, involving about 80 percent of the prison population, found that the average sentence for convicted rapists was 11.8 years, while the actual time served was 5.4 years. This follows the typical pattern for violent crimes in the US, where those convicted typically serve no more than half of their sentence.
These 2 'officers' ought to spend at least 10 years in prison.
Now, that would send a message!

freethinker44

What's the typical sentence for a violent sexual assault?

Laws regarding rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These 2 'officers' ought to spend at least 10 years in prison.
Now, that would send a message!

(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control
18 U.S. Code § 2340 - Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

You're more lenient than me, I would have called it torture. They deserve whatever punishment the justice system hands out for that. Do we still execute people for that?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was going to share a BBC story about a pig in Texas who called a pit bull over to him (by making what was described as a kissing sound), and when the dog approached him porky killed him. It's even on video. But when I searched for the story I discovered dogs shoot alot of dogs, often pit bulls and rottweilers, which are not aggressive dogs. They have even shot labradors, which are some of the most loyal and friendly dogs I have ever known.
However, I found these stories which made me grin and laugh.
"Hells Angels get $990 K for dead dogs" - Overlawyered
“A California county will pay nearly $1 million to settle a lawsuit brought by the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club after police shot and killed three guard dogs during raids of the group’s headquarters and suspected members’ homes.” Santa Clara County supervisors okayed the $990,000 settlement “two months after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected the county’s arguments that sheriff’s deputies should be immune from liability in the case.”

Cop Shot By Officer Aiming At ‘Vicious Dog’ That Charged At Police « CBS Chicago
A Chicago Police officer is in good condition after he was inadvertently shot by another officer who was shooting at a “vicious dog” who charged at them in a South Side building Monday night.

freethinker44

NYPD Officer Shoots And Kills Unarmed Man In Brooklyn

Totally innocent, unarmed man murdered by scared cop.
Because they can't go with their usual story that the victim lunged at the police making them fear for their lives, they are simply calling it an accident. Because the cop "accidentally" pulled his gun from the holster, "accidentally" pointed it at the mans chest, and "accidentally" murdered him. Good job NYPD.

freethinker44

12-year-old boy shot by Cleveland police has died | cleveland.com

Kid playing with toy gun murdered by police. 911 caller described it as "probably a juvenile" and "probably a fake gun" and is clearly describing kids playing in a park and not a deranged lunatic with a gun.

This could have been me. I played with toy guns all the time when I was a kid, albeit it was the 80s and the police state was only beginning to form then, so I was relatively safe from the police.

No, but I have one of these
Come-Back-With-A-Warrant-Doormat.jpg

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No, I don't think we have a police state. Even when brutally overpowered, police uphold the law - regardless of whether the law is sane by any measure.

What we have is an occupation by a heavily armed paramilitary force which, being rather bored with the low crime, is gleefully indulging in a lynching spree.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Sadly I think America needs to be a so called police state, with all the crime that is churned out, what else could one do but police that.

freethinker44

Sadly I think America needs to be a so called police state, with all the crime that is churned out, what else could one do but police that.

You mean the lowest crime rate we've had in almost 50 years?

You know, if you let propaganda dictate what you believe is real you will almost always have ridiculous beliefs.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Nearly all forms of crime have been steadily dropping in the US since about 1990. It is not difficult to pull up this statistic either.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nearly all forms of crime have been steadily dropping in the US since about 1990. It is not difficult to pull up this statistic either.
A drop in crime can be related to a police state, as we saw in NYC's illegal stop & frisk era. To oppress people of the appropriate demographic has its usefulness in reducing crime (at the expense of constitutional liberties).

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another round of **** the police!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/n...land-chokehold-death-of-eric-garner.html?_r=0

A Staten Island grand jury on Wednesday ended the criminal case against a white New York police officer whose chokehold on an unarmed black man led to the man’s death, a decision that drew condemnation from elected officials and touched off a wave of protests.
This is ****ing pathetic! We have a video of the piggy MURDERING this man, his death was ruled a homicide, and porky walks free.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another round of **** the police!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/n...land-chokehold-death-of-eric-garner.html?_r=0

A Staten Island grand jury on Wednesday ended the criminal case against a white New York police officer whose chokehold on an unarmed black man led to the man’s death, a decision that drew condemnation from elected officials and touched off a wave of protests.
This is ****ing pathetic! We have a video of the piggy MURDERING this man, his death was ruled a homicide, and porky walks free.
"Murder" would be the appropriate term if the cop intended Garner's death. But if it were just about restraining him using a deadly & prohibited choke hold, then it would be something else....but still a crime for which the cop (cops?) should be tried. I heard that a supervisor was watching, & took no action to stop the illegal assault of Garner....if so, she should be tried too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A drop in crime can be related to a police state, as we saw in NYC's illegal stop & frisk era. To oppress people of the appropriate demographic has its usefulness in reducing crime (at the expense of constitutional liberties).
Warsaw pact countries in the day had among the lowest crime rates in the world. Of course this only applied to the civilian population.