• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a peaceful inter-faith marriage possible?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Translated Dutch Proverb: 2 religions on 1 cushion the devil sleeps in between them [agree?y/n]
What problems you get when you get children?
1): Christian + Atheist [to make it not too complex]
What are the obstacles?
What are the solutions?

Can only certain Christian denomination marry Atheists?
And will "other" Christians judge them for not following Jesus to a T.?
Suppose 2 Christians marry, then 1 becomes an atheist; divorce yes or no?

If "the right way is very narrow" can I then conclude inter-faith marriage is undoable?
Or even maybe same-faith marriage is undoable, because always you need to compromise?

Considering the above is it still "right" to say "my religion is the only way"
I mean, being human, fully in evolution is compromise such a bad thing
Especially when done "for the Greater Good"

These were just some thoughts that popped up, thinking about "tolerance in religion"

I am curious what others think about this

Kirran

Premium Member
Depends on the individuals involved. Certainly it's possible. There are many examples of successful interfaith marriages and families.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've seen far too many interfaith marriages start out fine and dandy, and then fall apart ... when the kids come along. As with any marriage, some folks go into it thinking that their partner will change. One of my nieces just got divorced because she went into the marriage thinking the guy would quit drinking. Young and naive.

So I personally would rarely recommend an interfaith marriage. Perhaps if they're much older and mature.

I do know a few that have stayed married, but they're not happy people.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe in God. My wife doesn't. That has never been an issue. Learning how to interpret what each other says about trivial matters was an issue. You relationship will vary to mangle an old commercial tag line.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife and I are of different faiths, and we've been married for 51 years. It's all a matter of accepting the differences versus taking the "my way or the highway" approach.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Of course it's possible, I see it all the time. As long as you just keep it to marriage, as kids usually ruin everything. That goes for all marriages, not just inter-faith ones.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Translated Dutch Proverb: 2 religions on 1 cushion the devil sleeps in between them [agree?y/n]
What are the obstacles?
What are the solutions?

If "the right way is very narrow" can I then conclude inter-faith marriage is undoable?
Or even maybe same-faith marriage is undoable, because always you need to compromise?

These were just some thoughts that popped up, thinking about "tolerance in religion"

If this Libertarian can remain married to a Democrat for 39 years, then interfaith marriage is indeed possible.
It's about tolerance & knowing when to not say something.....not for everyone though.

Sakeenah

What are the obstacles?
What are the solutions?

It's possible but very challenging.

arthra

Baha'i
Among Baha'i marriages in the general community where I live I've seen Baha'i - atheist; Baha'i - Christian; Baha'i - Muslim; Baha'i - Sikh marriages. In Baha'i marriages the parents of the prospective bride and groom must approve the marriage and there is a vow that they will all abide by the Will of God. There is also no charge for Baha'i marriages. The marriages are recognized by the State.

Jedster

Among Baha'i marriages in the general community where I live I've seen Baha'i - atheist; Baha'i - Christian; Baha'i - Muslim; Baha'i - Sikh marriages. In Baha'i marriages the parents of the prospective bride and groom must approve the marriage and there is a vow that they will all abide by the Will of God. There is also no charge for Baha'i marriages. The marriages are recognized by the State.

So would a Bahai who wants to marry a Christian(or any other religion) be willing or even permitted to undergo a Church(Temple, Mosque) wedding?

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the obstacles?
What are the solutions?

Something is seriously wrong with a marriage if its "peaceful". :D:p

outlawState

Deism is dead
What are the obstacles?
What are the solutions?

It all depends. Is it possible, but seldom recommended, unless the one-in-flesh relation pre-exists marriage when marriage may be for the best despite any differences in faith. Yet everything will depend on personalities and on many factors completely beyond the subject matter of your post. Frequently the greatest strains on marriage are material and financial, providing there is give and take. There are also varying strands of atheism, which is not a simple concept, as frequently atheists may claim not to believe in denominational gods, but may still uphold some standard of morality, as in ancient Rome where per Roms 2, even those without faith are observed to uphold the law written on their consciences.

arthra

Baha'i
So would a Bahai who wants to marry a Christian(or any other religion) be willing or even permitted to undergo a Church(Temple, Mosque) wedding?

Jedster: Thanks for your post!
Sorry for the delay.. I've been busy of late!

Baha'i marriages occur with members of other faiths or no faith. The marriage of the non-Baha'i can occur in their place of worship be it church, temple or mosque as long as the Baha'i marriage ceremony is held separately and not melded or blended into the service of the other religion.

Example: My son married a Christian. Her church ceremony occurred inside the sanctuary and later the Baha'i ceremony occurred in the garden adjoining the church.

tempogain

It's been working for us 25+ years. Neither of us is fascist about what the kids believe; we say what we want to them and they think what they want. That certainly helps. Maybe not surprisingly both have turned out to be pretty solid atheists--but who knows, that could change