• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intermarriage

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
And what happened when your mom said, "These are my gods," and your dad said, "your mom's gods are false idols." ???

"Christian" mom and "muslim" dad for me, and that situation never happened because I had a secular upbringing.

Thankfully, neither of my parents were, what you'ld call, "practicing theists". My dad is somewhat more religious then my mom, but he's the kind of muslim that once in a while does ramadam as an excuse to loose some weight and then celebrates the end with a wiskey and pork chops :D

It is my opinion that a marriage with children between 2 "practicing" theists who are serious about their religion and clinge to different religions, is pretty much doomed from the starts - especially if it concerns "exclusive" religions in the sense that they believe that either you are part of their elite club, or you burn in hell.

As an atheist, I must say that I couldn't bear being with someone who is religious and actual serious about it. Kids especially would be VERY difficult, because I would simply not allow my kid to be brainwashed into some cult.

PruePhillip

The real problem here is that intermarriage eventually destroys a faith. Making something
'more diverse' is well put - as if 'diverse' is a good thing. Should native Americans be 'more
diverse' by marrying out? Would Islam survive if it became 'more diverse'?
Persecution kept Jewry together in its darkest days. Otherwise it would have become like
the biblical Amorites, Amelakites, Phillistines, Canaanites, Moabites, Edomites etc..

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The real problem here is that intermarriage eventually destroys a faith. Making something
'more diverse' is well put - as if 'diverse' is a good thing. Should native Americans be 'more
diverse' by marrying out? Would Islam survive if it became 'more diverse'?
Persecution kept Jewry together in its darkest days. Otherwise it would have become like
the biblical Amorites, Amelakites, Phillistines, Canaanites, Moabites, Edomites etc..
Frankly, that would not be such a bad outcome, in my view. Diversity is, in fact, a good thing -- multiple perspectives bring richness of thought and experience to both problem-solving and life-enjoyment.

And really, would it be such a terrible thing if we could just stop being part of this little group or that -- trying to keep ourselves separate from and uncontaminated by some other little group -- and simply acknowledging that we are all human together? Personally, I can see some benefit in that.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
"Christian" mom and "muslim" dad for me, and that situation never happened because I had a secular upbringing.
Right. When one or both parents aren't really devout about their faith(s), there really isn't a problem. It's only, as you say later in your post, when they are both "practicing" that the trouble arises. When a person REALLY cares about their beliefs and practices, they of course will wish to pass them on to their children.

It breaks my heart that my daughter's daughter is not being raised Jewish. But I have only myself and their religiously confused upbringing to thank for that. Life has its regrets.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I doubt I'll ever be married or a father so it's irrelevant to me. I'm really just a pessimistic nihilist at this point, anyway.

PruePhillip

Frankly, that would not be such a bad outcome, in my view. Diversity is, in fact, a good thing -- multiple perspectives bring richness of thought and experience to both problem-solving and life-enjoyment.

And really, would it be such a terrible thing if we could just stop being part of this little group or that -- trying to keep ourselves separate from and uncontaminated by some other little group -- and simply acknowledging that we are all human together? Personally, I can see some benefit in that.

Yes, this is the nihilism of secularism.
In Australia 1990's there was a TV show featuring an Anglican priest, an Orthodox
Jew and a Muslim imam. The Anglican tried to reach out to the other two, seeking
compromise - Jew and Muslim wouldn't have it. How do you compromise your own
beliefs? The Jew says Jesus is a fake and the Muslim says Jesus was just a good
man. So you have to water down your beliefs.

In America they have replaced Catholic vs Protestant with extreme partisan views.
The end of religion leads to the politicization of everything - and it's quite ugly.

IndigoChild5559

That didn’t happen. Dad was chill and was mostly “culturally Christian.” He enjoyed learning about Mum’s culture and religious rituals. Encouraged me to explore religion, philosophy and find something that suited me.
Yes, it does work when one or both of the parents are just nominal believers or just culturally involved with their religions. Its the devout practitioners who really care about their faiths who also care that their children should be raised in their faith.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it does work when one or both of the parents are just nominal believers or just culturally involved with their religions. Its the devout practitioners who really care about their faiths who also care that their children should be raised in their faith.
Well I’ll agree with you there.
Although as an aside. Hinduism is generally treated more like a culture than religion. Like that’s what you’re born into. But barring the radicals, there’s usually little in the way of forcing belief. For sure I learnt about the folklore and rituals. But as a rite of passage I guess I had to figure out my own path

Riders

Yes. My wife has a Christian background but is not a believer.
Are you speaking of racially mixed? My new guy friend is African American and I am white. We are only dating as friends. But he warned me, in the beginning, there might be some racial bigots who would give me trouble for it.

He is also Christian and I am not. I have noticed more Christian men willing to date non-Christians. I have heard racist remarks my sister has said to me but she does not seem to have a problem with Darril. But he is Christian she wants me to go to church so I think being happy about him being Christian overran her temptation to being racist.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, this is the nihilism of secularism.
In Australia 1990's there was a TV show featuring an Anglican priest, an Orthodox
Jew and a Muslim imam. The Anglican tried to reach out to the other two, seeking
compromise - Jew and Muslim wouldn't have it. How do you compromise your own
beliefs? The Jew says Jesus is a fake and the Muslim says Jesus was just a good
man. So you have to water down your beliefs.

In America they have replaced Catholic vs Protestant with extreme partisan views.
The end of religion leads to the politicization of everything - and it's quite ugly.
On the other hand, when you focus on those things for which you actually have some evidence, you don't have to strike such attitudes and spend so much energy defending the indefensible. That in itself can have a damping effect on the urge to fight everybody else.

PruePhillip

On the other hand, when you focus on those things for which you actually have some evidence, you don't have to strike such attitudes and spend so much energy defending the indefensible. That in itself can have a damping effect on the urge to fight everybody else.

So what evidence do you have that liberals or conservatives are correct?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So what evidence do you have that liberals or conservatives are correct?
I thought we were talking about intermarriage, religious tolerance and so forth. How did it suddenly become whether it's liberals or conservatives who are "correct?"

And in any case, there's no "correct" there. Political viewpoints are political viewpoints, that's all. They're not right and wrong for the most part, just different ways of pretending you can predict the future well enough to know what you should do today. And nobody can do that.

IndigoChild5559

Well I’ll agree with you there.
Although as an aside. Hinduism is generally treated more like a culture than religion. Like that’s what you’re born into. But barring the radicals, there’s usually little in the way of forcing belief. For sure I learnt about the folklore and rituals. But as a rite of passage I guess I had to figure out my own path
Are you following the news about the non-conversion laws in India? Pretty draconian. Of course, a forced conversion is, IMHO, invalid in the first place, so if and when they happen no one should recognize them. But this law obviously goes further than outlawing forced conversions. It assumes that anyone raised Hindu would never want to convert.

Clara Tea

I don't want children

I see marriage as being two lives joined together, in a holy bond

And for me, my life is very much tied-up with my Christianity

I simply couldn't share my life with someone who had massively different religious beliefs to me

It wouldn't work for me

Satanic wife? Cook without turning on the stove. Eliminate the heating bill (the gate to hell is warm enough). Don't have to worry that your wife will turn to the dark side if she started out there.

I realize that you meant marriage with another pious religion. Perhaps it isn't about looking at the differences, perhaps it is about looking at the similarities? Or....looking at the good intent? There are a lot of religions that are just slightly different than yours (and, who knows if they are right and you are wrong). There are many good people out there, and many would be glad to have a good person like you to marry.

So, the next time a potential spouse suggests given their hand in marriage, tell them that you want a lot more (maybe a whole arm).

You could raise your kids to be accepting and caring people, rather than only interested in their own faith.

God thinks of everyone as his children. I wonder why mankind disagrees?