• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intermarriage

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For those who feel it's harmful based on anecdotal stories, remember there are just as many of it working out fine. A major reason why I am as respectful and curious about diversity as I am is because I grew up in an interreligious household. We celebrated diverse cultural traditions in tandem, and it wasn't ever a problem. Nay, it was an asset. To this day, I can't understand how folks can't just get along like the adults who were my role models in life.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Intend to be clones of each other. That is quite a plan. And seems like a strong desire. Strong willed desires don't usually make marriage easy.

That is why I posted that video in post #4.
Sonia and Brian are from two different countries.
They are quite different from one another.
Their marriage works perfectly because they are in a very romantic relationship.
And as Brian said in the video, he likes she is different from the other American girls...because you know ...Italian women tend to be very sweet and maternal...
Which is probably what Brian was looking for...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I have been married to a Burmese lady for 42 years. We are both Baha’is.
Congratulations. I love good love stories.

I’m Hindu (I was raised Catholic, converted to Eastern Orthodox for about 10 years), my husband is Catholic. We respect each other’s beliefs. He prays to his saints, I go into my shrine room and do puja, for which time I am left undisturbed. When I come out of the room and put a piece of fruit on the counter he asks if it’s blessed (prasad from puja) and eats it. So yeah, for us it works. But I will say that if I were with a strict “those are false gods” Christian I would put my foot down and say “enough, knock it off” because criticism of my beliefs would indicate disrespect at a more basic level.
Congratulations. Nice "fruit" story. And indeed respect is a must for a healthy marriage
Just curious. When you married were you both Catholic, and you changed into Hinduism?
I can imagine that such a change during a marriage could be a really big challenge

Last edited:

stvdv

That is why I posted that video in post #4.
Sonia and Brian are from two different countries.
They are quite different from one another.
Their marriage works perfectly because they are in a very romantic relationship.
Thanks for the reminder. I wanted to see it, but forgot it. I will have a look

And as Brian said in the video, he likes she is different from the other American girls...because you know ...Italian women tend to be very sweet and maternal
Oh, good that I never "met" an Italian woman.
She could have messed up my plans to never marry. Because I do like women who are very sweet and maternal

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But that, in and of itself, is very thin gruel indeed if one is serious about one's religion. It's a good deal more complicated than being willing to celebrate both Sukkot and Ganesh Chaturthi.

More than 'respect each other's uniqueness,' one must have informed respect of each other's religious requirements, and then think long and hard about the raising of one's children.

No doubt. Of the 20 or so I've seen (multicultural Canada does that.) probably only 3 or 4 are really good. Many are so-so, with about half ending in divorce. The good ones often have one or the other dropping their religion completely.

stvdv

But when there is Love with Capitalized L, nothing else matters. For example...here Sonia (Italian from Rome) and Brian (American from Denver) have so many things in common (...)He married her and they have chosen Italy as home, because, you know... of the tranquil lifestyle.
IF "Italian women tend to be very sweet and maternal"
THEN why not marry with Italian men? Or are men not so nice?

She, Sonia, does indeed look like an innocent angel. But, Capitalized Love? You think Sonia has capitalized Love? What does that mean to you?

But she vlogs a lot, so we can check if her intermarriage will last long or not. They started young, then it's easier to grow towards each other.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

She, Sonia, does indeed look like an innocent angel. But, Capitalized Love? You think Sonia has capitalized Love? What does that mean to you?

But she vlogs a lot, so we can check if her intermarriage will last long or not. They started young, then it's easier to grow towards each other.

Well...you know ...love is casual...it just happens.
They met...and they fell in love...

Let me just tell you that Brian is very sweet and cute...and this drives us Italian women crazy...:oops::p

Lucky her.

stvdv

Let me just tell you that Brian is very sweet and cute...and this drives us Italian women crazy...:oops::p

LUCKY HER.
You did not answer my question about "what is capitalized Love"
At least one more Italian left for you to choose from, right?
You didn't answer the question about Italian men
But I guess they are not sweet and cute
(reading between the lines)

I do wish you find your "Brian" soon too
(better not long distance though, with C19)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

This might answer your question.

91A8D418-0FF1-4BDC-BC81-CE757CE30004.jpeg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Indeed. And thanks a lot @Jainarayan
@Estro Felino almost tricked me into an Italian ... "God knows what":p

I was just talking about romance. My point was...if the OP speaks of interfaith marriages, romance and chemistry between two people are the most important thing in a relationship.
Religion or culture are irrelevant...really.
I have had atheist boyfriends mainly...in my life...and I am a Christian...so...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was just talking about romance. My point was...if the OP speaks of interfaith marriages, romance and chemistry between two people are the most important thing in a relationship.
I have had atheist boyfriends mainly...in my life...and I am a Christian...so...

I disagree, but then I married my best friend. I can't really say what is the most important factor in a stable marriage, as there are so many. Friendship, compatibility, finances, religion, age, personality, culture, sex drives, etc. Many divorces I've seen were often caused by 'romance' dwindling.

stvdv

I was just talking about romance. My point was
I am 99% very serious when I answer, but this time I went along with @Jainarayan his "joke". But you got that, right (you gave him a funny)?

Okay ... just romance. That makes more sense after having seen the video, the "Capitalized Love".
I am not sure if "romance and chemistry" is the most important thing in an interfaith marriage
But without it, I would not even start, getting involved in an interfaith marriage

I guess you mean "IF you don't make a fuzz about Religion nor culture THEN interfaith marriage has a chance"

Because usually people are quite strict with their Religion and less tolerant towards other religions, hence the trouble with interfaith marriages

stvdv

But you are a very warm and nice person. I think anyone would love to be with you.
But not all are as nice as you. So, I would not jump into a marriage if there is only "romance and chemistry"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am 99% very serious when I answer, but this time I went along with @Jainarayan his "joke". But you got that, right (you gave him a funny)?

Keep in mind I am Italian, 90% Sicilian to be precise. My family is crawling with Italian women. Italian women tend to be *ahem* “strong willed”.

stvdv

Keep in mind I am Italian, 90% Sicilian to be precise. My family is crawling with Italian women. Italian women tend to be *ahem* “strong willed”.
Aha, now you give me some solid advice. Thanks a lot

And this is exactly the picture I got watching Italian women play their games

And now I also know that some Italian women tend to be *ahem* "bending reality"