• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inhabited Planets

King Phenomenon

We know that there are billions of stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way. Those stars can each have several planets in orbit around them.

We know that there are billions of galaxies in the visible universe.

Using those two facts, let's estimate that there are at least 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. Of those let's say only .000001% can contain life. That leaves a (conservative) estimate of 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) potential alien civilizations.

Yet our little mud ball of a planet is the center for religion, God's divine revelation, judgment, His son the Messiah, and the path to paradise in the afterlife? It is because of statistics like the above demonstrated that I reject revealed, earth bound, man made religions and embrace deism.

:D
I don't think there's any other planets with life out there

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You think I jest?
So, where'd you get your picture of the cosmos from? I think I need to brush up on what I supposedly believe.

timthumb.php

[/QUOTE]

gnostic

The Lost One
How did you come up with the .000001% chance of other planets in the universe containing life. You're guessing? Wishful thinking?
The Milky Way itself has anywhere between 100 billion stars and 400 billion stars.

The reason for such gap between these two figures is that not all the stars can directly observed or detected. Stars on the spiral arms twined around the central bulge, so are hidden from views. There are also stars hidden by interstellar gases and dust on each arms.

If you were facing towards Milky Way’s centre, you would mainly see a portion of the Sagittarius (Carina-Sagittarius) arm, which immediately block our view of the galactic bulge. And behind is another arm (Scutum-Centaurus) and another behind that. The only way to detect the centre is through radiowave.

If you looked to the other side, then you will see the Perseus spiral arm, which also contained star’s and more interstellar gases and dust.

Our Solar System is located in a very minor arm or spur, known as the Orion arm, the same arm where the Great Orion Nebula is located. It is the most studied nebula because it fairly close to the Solar System. Since the Orion arm is sandwiched between Perseus and Sagittarius arms, most of the stars that we can see with only our own eyes, are in close proximity to the sun.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The Milky Way itself has anywhere between 1 billion stars and 4 billion stars.

The reason for such gap between these two figures is that not all the stars can directly observed or detected. Stars on the spiral arms twined around the central bulge, so are hidden from views. There are also stars hidden by interstellar gases and dust on each arms.

If you were facing towards Milky Way’s centre, you would mainly see a portion of the Sagittarius (Carina-Sagittarius) arm, which immediately block our view of the galactic bulge. And behind is another arm (Scutum-Centaurus) and another behind that. The only way to detect the centre is through radiowave.

If you looked to the other side, then you will see the Perseus spiral arm, which also contained star’s and more interstellar gases and dust.

Our Solar System is located in a very minor arm or spur, known as the Orion arm, the same arm where the Great Orion Nebula is located. It is the most studied nebula because it fairly close to the Solar System. Since the Orion arm is sandwiched between Perseus and Sagittarius arms, most of the stars that we can see with only our own eyes, are in close proximity to the sun.
actually, it's between 100 billion and 400 billion...
edited to add dropped words

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Earth by no means should be considered a naturally given regularity. If you have infinities to play with you might find one other like it, but I would not bet on that.